Possible change to 1200R or RS ( 2015/6 model)

DevonAl

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Thinking of changing from my 06 GS to an R or RS, I like the riding position but struggling a bit with the high up weight of the GS, I have had Denzo lower the shocks and it’s better but will only get worse as I get older,
I know the R is the same weight and the seat is much lower, but I may have issues with the seat to footrest height and knee bend angle, this is why I sold my 1100s and went the GS route.
I haven’t ridden either an R or RS yet but was wondering if somebody could tell me the seat to peg height please or if anyone has done what I am contemplating.

Thanks, Al.

If you want less weight have a look at the stats for the earlier R1200R's. Much lighter than the recent ones. They wear well so a low mileage worth considering.

Not so much less weight, just lower C of G, and I don’t like the Hexhead R styling,
Thank you I will check cycle ergo.

Al.

I had a factory lowered 2008 R1200GS for 8 years(I'm 5ft 7ins) and did 40k miles on it. Toured Morocco, Scandinavia and down to Turkey. However in the end I felt it was a but high and heavy to maneuver, but fine to ride. I'd been using my G650x xCountry more.

However having sold it, I missed the boxer engine and once I rode the LC version I was hooked. So I bought a 2015 version of the R1200R. I have a low seat on it, bar raisers and enjoy riding it. Even though it would be a similar weight to the GS equivalent, it seems easier to maneuver around. I took it on a tour of Ireland and Scotland last year, including a ride out with GSs in tiny Irish roads and it was fine. I did a 600 mile run down from North of Aberdeen to Hampshire in a day and it just lapped it up. Take one out for a test and see how it feels.

However, if I hadn't gone for the R1200R, I'd have gone for a low F750GS. It was a surprise how nimble it was, a big improvement on the 700, read the reviews and try one too.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

You can adjust the R/RS ergonomics to reduce knee bend and bum to peg height.

I have lowered pegs on my 2016 R1200RS. I have also added bar risers to reduce the weight on my wrists which is the major difference between the upright bikes I have had in
the past (R1150GS, MT09 Tracer & Super Tenere).

If you are comfortable on the GS then you could also fit the high seat.

I have ridden a number of GS loan bikes since buying the RS in 2016, just for routine servicing, and I am happy I bought the right LC boxer. The RS is so much easier at slow speeds and when wheeling it out of the garage. The RS also filters better as it is narrower and the bars go under van mirrors.

I have not ridden the R version. I am not keen on the looks or lack of fairing.

I felt my legs were cramped on my previous R1200R. Lovely bike, but along came the RS. Which is much better.

Lower pegs.

Higher seat.

Standard bars.

The biggest improvement for me was cutting the OEM screen down to (a) reduce wind noise significantly and (b) let the wind take all the weight off my (feeble) wrists at normal speeds. Though a wee bit “Chimp In A Hurricane” on the autobahn at Top Speed.

Oh, custom shocks on top of that.

I’m not keen on the full Sit Up And Beg position that puts all the weight on your coccyx. No cruisers for me.

Attachments

• 6AE0D0EC-AC2C-4ECA-9A96-477AE4BAFB3B.jpg
    6AE0D0EC-AC2C-4ECA-9A96-477AE4BAFB3B.jpg
    239 KB · Views: 294
New to me 1200R

Picked this up today, 8600 miles just about everything fitted except keyless ignition. Looking at the gap between the seat and the tank I was wondering if it has a low seat fitted as it felt a bit tighter on my knees than the 1250 I rode, does any body have the part numbers for the different seats to hand, and are the eccentric rollers for the GS suitable for the R to raise the front of the seat?
Just set the ESA on dynamic for the ride home and learnt how to use the gear assist, seemed a bit clunky second to 3rd and low revs but fine upwards and back down to third, and I used the clutch from 3rd down, is that normal?
Be gentle, have not even switched the navigation on yet, so more questions undoubtedly in the future.

Al.

Attachments

• 3B0630ED-F3CD-4F14-95A3-5F2E80053E38.jpg
    3B0630ED-F3CD-4F14-95A3-5F2E80053E38.jpg
    269.7 KB · Views: 212
No loss not having keyless, I’d much rather have a proper key.

I have the the Sport seat on my RS. Big improvement for knees.

I think I pulled the correct part number.

Attachments

• FBB396F0-D821-4AA4-B083-2490226A62DF.jpg
    FBB396F0-D821-4AA4-B083-2490226A62DF.jpg
    241.9 KB · Views: 187
  • 0CDDEF55-003B-4AA9-A5D6-BDE7EDA5F47E.jpg
    0CDDEF55-003B-4AA9-A5D6-BDE7EDA5F47E.jpg
    254.5 KB · Views: 194
Picked this up today, 8600 miles just about everything fitted except keyless ignition. Looking at the gap between the seat and the tank I was wondering if it has a low seat fitted as it felt a bit tighter on my knees than the 1250 I rode, does any body have the part numbers for the different seats to hand, and are the eccentric rollers for the GS suitable for the R to raise the front of the seat?
Just set the ESA on dynamic for the ride home and learnt how to use the gear assist, seemed a bit clunky second to 3rd and low revs but fine upwards and back down to third, and I used the clutch from 3rd down, is that normal?
Be gentle, have not even switched the navigation on yet, so more questions undoubtedly in the future.

Al.

What a great looking bike. Enjoy it.

Thanks boxerboy, I’ll have a look at mine.
Cheers Paul I’ll try my best.
Al.

Having owned a 2017 GS and my current 2018 1200R cotemperaneously, the R feels so much more lively than the GS. In fact I reckon the 1200R is probably quicker than a 1250GS.

I have a sport seat for sale if anyone is interested before I put it in the for sale section.£100 + postage

I put 1150GS pegs and risers on my 1150r. Its a mini GS now. Lower, same sort of knee hip angle and a boxer.

Back
Top Bottom