BMW Connect for ‘on-road’ married to Pocket Earth for ‘Off road’ work well together

GB.

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Well I had another go with the connect cradle and apps today, I wanted to try a bit of off road work with the iPhone in the cradle and I need the practice before the Keilder 500 next month.
Started with a road route from my dealer to another dealership, so I set it to winding roads set the slide in the centre and again the app took me on some good roads.
Now when I got to the start of the trail I swapped apps to pocket earth which I had preloaded the tracks in. So then it was just a case of following the track, this worked really well, with my only complaint being I could do with a brighter screen, that’s mainly because I had my transitions visor on which was pure black in the sunlight, if it had been warmer I would have had Google’s on but the wind was bloody cold today.
So going forward it should work well for me, I’ll use the bmw app for roads to get to events. When rallying I’ll switch the apps to my rally ico trip app, with pocket earth recording the routes in the background. All this with no cables and wireless charging.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like a happy marriage. Thank you for the update, good to know that BMW Connect for ‘on-road’ married to Pocket Earth for the ‘Off road’ work well together.

Please bear in mind my GS doesn't have a TFT screen.

Following on from yesterdays ride I didn't realise that the connect app was also running in the background. So the app has recorded the ride automatically so I don't need to have pocket earth record it. I have downloaded the gpx file to basecamp on my Mac and it shows the route we took in really good detail with every minor direction change displayed, better than my nav 6 used to, I suppose this is down to the iPhones faster/better processor?? Now I haven't tried to load the route back into the connect app either via basecamp or the ride stored in the app itself to see if it reroutes me off the dirt onto the roads....

As expected when I try and re-ride this route it reroutes it to a road only route, a shame but it is what it is.

I think OSMand is better than pocket earth as the screen is easier to see. Plus it will follow/route along tracks.

Back
Top Bottom