Ducati 998 headlight change

Borderbob

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I really am asking for a friend, but not knowing anything about bikes other than BMWs, need some help.

He has owned a beautiful 998 from new (my GSA in the background) bought in England in 2002 and is now wanting to register it in France having moved there. To do so and get MOTs in France, he needs to change the headlight obviously. Ducati don't make the headlight now apparently so need to source one. What's the equivalent of Motorworks or where does one go in the UK or abroad to source secondhand Ducati parts?

Any advice much appreciated.

Attachments

• Ducati 998.jpeg
    Ducati 998.jpeg
    103.9 KB · Views: 162
Euro Ebay sites? though be prepared to swallow hard at the prices (if there anything like uk ebay prices for 916~998 headlamps)

Im pretty sure that he doesn’t have to change the light, I reckon he could get away with some blanking tape to cut off the LHD element of the beam.

Perhaps an MOT tester might pop along and confirm??

Im pretty sure that he doesn’t have to change the light, I reckon he could get away with some blanking tape to cut off the LHD element of the beam.

Perhaps an MOT tester might pop along and confirm??

Yes I wondered that. In fact that's now I've dealt with a GS PD I have reregistered in the UK after it was imported from Germany six years ago. Whether it works that way in France I don't know but he's been told he needs to.

Suggest he jumps on a Ducati forum if he hasn’t already , in the past folk were giving them away

https://www.ducatiforum.co.uk/threads/euro-headlamp-deflector.63368/

Further thought, presumably this fit internally and is an after market accessory? I can't see it listed in the parts diagram here. Which also indicates the price of a new headlamp - not that they have a RH one! Gulp.
https://www.bike-parts-ducati.com/ducati-motorcycle/Superbike/2002/998/998/HEADLIGHT/168/79/0/168

Does it have a directional dip or just flat?

Does it have a directional dip or just flat?

Good question. I don't know. The bike is in France and I'm not but I guess it does have directional to comply (I think that is necessary isn't it?) with UK regs. ie, I suspect its in designed into the lens.

Back
Top Bottom