New GS & Multi-functional Indicators

paulw64

Reaction score
Any thoughts on the Multi-Functional indicators on the new GS/GSA? Fronts are DRL in a dimmed orange light and rear brake lights now integrated into the indicators making it difficult to see the indicators working when also braking.

Are these an accident waiting to happen? Vehicle pulling from junction after a swift look and seeing an orange light.

Thinking about getting my front DRL indicators switched off and returning to normal indicators. Not doing the rear as apparently a new light unit is required as they cannot be re-programmed.

Seems a daft idea by BMW, especially when they made the indicators self cancelling, for safety I assume, but are happy to display the orange DRL. Would it not have been more sense to have the DRL as in cars, white light, that changes to orange on use of the indicator.

I assume its more for the American Market rather than UK.
Think the fronts are as visible as cars that have indicators in the same unit as headlights.
It's the rears that are more the problem particularly when braking and indicating

I made sure not to order my bike (2021) with adaptive light pack because I just don't like the way rear indicators work as light/brake light/indicator. Front ones wouldn't bother me and cornering light as well, but the rear ones...
If there was no option to buy new bike without it, I would have gone to another brand to spend my hard earned money.

Been discussed in several threads here. I haven't seen Honda riders raising it as a confirmed issues after all of these years. Actual studies are thin on the ground. There was an Australian study that showed that amber side drls on motorcycles significantly improved safety. But, in the absence of any facts, it's really a preference thing.

The rears conflicting with brake lights could be a problem if you have poor riding/driving habits, but more likely than not wouldn't make difference as putting the indicators on during very late braking is pretty much the same as choosing not to use indicators.

For those that have good riding habits, the question is more whether the multi-cluster arrangement itself (without brake light) is a lesser solution than having dedicated indicators. Hasn't appeared to be when I've followed others but I can see how it might be under some conditions. There was some work done in 2008 on cars to understand whether separation of rear lamps and indicators on cars improved safety but the results were inconclusive.

But, certainly, having the centre light as a third brake light would seen an advantageous safety feature.

Overall I prefer the aesthetics of the new lights, and feel that the new rear arrangement in particular offers the mentioned benefit.

I love them on my GSA (It’s a triple black to you know, that’s apparently important)

They are bright enough, visible, no problems with indication and the “old” taillight acts as a third brake light.

I’m normally the “lead” when me and my ATAS and KTM mounted buddies are off on a trip somewhere and they’ve never mentioned the indicators or brake lights as hard to see.

I love them on my GSA (It’s a triple black to you know, that’s apparently important)

They are bright enough, visible, no problems with indication and the “old” taillight acts as a third brake light.

I’m normally the “lead” when me and my ATAS and KTM mounted buddies are off on a trip somewhere and they’ve never mentioned the indicators or brake lights as hard to see.

Alternative view…

I often ride in a group with a new XR and a new 1250GS. On both the rear indicators are all but invisible, to the extent it’s amazing that they’re actually legal.

Alternative view…

I often ride in a group with a new XR and a new 1250GS. On both the rear indicators are all but invisible, to the extent it’s amazing that they’re actually legal.

This.
Add a bit of distance and it gets far worse. The car drivers need all the help they can get to stay awake, these marketing toys are worse than the previous indicators.

An interesting thread and one that has concerned me for some time. The new 1250 GS/GSA is well lit from a daytime visibility perspective. That said the more light we throw out from our bikes the better, ensuring dozy drivers see us.

I'm therefore attracted to Denali's offerings and have 95% decided on Denali D4's at the front, a Denali SoundBomb Horn and some kind of supplementary lighting/indicators at the rear. The choice for the rear, as far as I'm aware, is dual Denali T3 Brake/DLR/Indicators or the single B6 DLR/Brake light. Members experiences and comments would be greatly appreciated.

In the meantime stay safer and well.

Regards,

Tony

Any thoughts on the Multi-Functional indicators on the new GS/GSA? Fronts are DRL in a dimmed orange light and rear brake lights now integrated into the indicators making it difficult to see the indicators working when also braking.

Are these an accident waiting to happen? Vehicle pulling from junction after a swift look and seeing an orange light.

Thinking about getting my front DRL indicators switched off and returning to normal indicators. Not doing the rear as apparently a new light unit is required as they cannot be re-programmed.

Seems a daft idea by BMW, especially when they made the indicators self cancelling, for safety I assume, but are happy to display the orange DRL. Would it not have been more sense to have the DRL as in cars, white light, that changes to orange on use of the indicator.

Just speak with the guys in Germany. I think they can do what you want.

https://emotion--ride-de.translate....l=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=el&_x_tr_pto=wapp

I can't say that I've had any issues with them on my bike, or indeed following others with them. You should be indicating before braking and, in my personal opinion, the rear indicators are plenty visible in that situation and when the brakes are applied it's very noticeable that the bike is slowing. I agree that the indicators are a good deal harder to see when the brakes are applied but I feel like following vehicles should've already seen the indicator before you started braking and should therefore know, and if they didn't see them before braking then they should be reacting to the brake lights. There's no excuse for running into the back of a motorcycle specifically because you couldn't see the indicator properly, that's ridiculous.

I've been flashed to cross traffic plenty times which means that people are definitely seeing and reacting to the front indicators.

I agree on all of the above.

Last year in Spain one of the guys had brand new GSA with said indicators. Apparently he had his hazard warning light on when he pulled up for the rest of them to catch up, he m at same time had his hand on the brake. Guess what, I only noticed the hazards when he released the brake. Stupid idea, if you ask me.

As for the orange DRL, well Honda have these on their Africa Twin and mortise of other bikes, so perhaps, BMW thought that it is a “cool” selling feature not to be missed out upon.

The eye is attracted to movement which is what I think the flashing on and off of indicators mimics.

Surround it with something that 'masks' that simulated movement and it detracts from its initial intention

I’ve just replaced mine because on a few occasions I’ve had drivers almost pulling out on me looking a little confused. At a certain angle to the driver they only see the indicator on their side and think you’re indicating.
Plus the rear indicator all but disappears when the brake light is on.
These are a big improvement in my opinion, very bright front running lights and very bright rears that go out when using the indicator.
A little costly at £400 but what price safety, plus I don’t need spots now to improve front visibility.
Very straightforward to DIY.

https://youtu.be/GylcSoos714

I had combined stop & indicator lights on my hexhead,

they worked fine :) i'd like them on my LC as well

They've been on UK vehicles for ages - Range Rover has them

I have a 21 gs . I fitted the denarli T3 .they really work well in fact my group say to bright. One thing i was not expecting to get was when you close the throttle the T3 give a micro flash .so i try to keeep of the brakes as much as possible. The guys behind know i am slowing down. I lead a lot of ride outs and every one likes them.except one rider who is is in blue??. So get them you will not regret it .If i get the 1300 they will be moved over

I had combined stop & indicator lights on my hexhead,

they worked fine :) i'd like them on my LC as well

They've been on UK vehicles for ages - Range Rover has them

And in fairness, even on most cars the indicators are washed out by brake lights, certainly at some distance. What nobody seems to be able to explain, however, is the scenario in which you've applied your brake lights and the presence or absence of indicators has any effect on the behaviour of the driver behind. For sure, if somebody hit's their brakes I don't carry on driving at the same speed towards them, whether they are indicating or not. This quite aside the fact that as a motorcyclist especially you should be learning to apply your indicators in good time ahead of braking.

I can think of scenarios where as a motorcyclist I'm using engine braking to slow down so have tapped the rear brake to warn the driver behind, but I don't drag on the brake continually. Genuinely don't understand what the issue with the rear multi clusters is.

I get that some may believe that they get more people pulling out on them due to the amber lights, even though Honda have used this system for years and regardless of the bike you ride you'll get idiots pulling out on you. But the rears?

Back
Top Bottom