T160 Barn find- literally!!!

You can’t put that lovely tank on an old rustbucket, or, to be kind, a bike with maybe an excess of patina.

You can’t put that lovely tank on an old rustbucket, or, to be kind, a bike with maybe an excess of patina.
Sorry for your wallet but I agree! That tank is stunning. However. If the bike can be cleaned up and MoTd, you could maybe take a bit longer to do it?

Sent from my moto e30 using Tapatalk

On with the show then, to be fair the bike to buy was a steal so it makes sense to restore it as best I can and so far with the parts I’ve collected it hasn’t been wallet busting. The other good thing is there is a pretty ready supply of everything and this is half the fun for me. Another question; chromed steel wheels or Aluminium valanced wm2/3 type, not much difference in price, more originality or pure looks??
It’s interesting to see what others think, but ultimately it will always be my choice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On with the show then, to be fair the bike to buy was a steal so it makes sense to restore it as best I can and so far with the parts I’ve collected it hasn’t been wallet busting. The other good thing is there is a pretty ready supply of everything and this is half the fun for me. Another question; chromed steel wheels or Aluminium valanced wm2/3 type, not much difference in price, more originality or pure looks??
It’s interesting to see what others think, but ultimately it will always be my choice

Buyers want bikes as original as possible but then valanced rims were a period modification

You bike is very original :thumb

If it were mine I'd go valanced as I think they look so much nicer, but others will disagree

Just avoid going mental and sticking a twin disc front end on it :blast

I’d stick with the chrome rims and I wouldn’t powder coat the frame - preferably get it properly painted.

I’d get the valance rims if I was keeping the bike. If I wanted to minimise my losses (does anyone make a profit on a resto?) I’d have the chrome originals.

Full resto (you know it makes sense in the long run, even tho it will be longer til you get it on the road)
Wheels… aluminium valanced, just coz I like the looks.

Tank looks great, now the rest of the bike has to be done to a similar standard.

Hi all, on with stripping down the T160 now, labelling up the wiring even tho it will get a new loom, it’s going to be slow but steady as there is no big rush but keen to get it apart. Getting the lump out will be the fun part, it is a right ol lump of a thing..I’m probably going for valanced rims as they do look so much nicer and a bit of a weight saving too. Will post up pics as I get on with the dissecting thanks for all the comments too..

My apologies gentlemen, fair progress is being made, all stripped down and all the powdercoat and paint has been carried out, frame and subframe hanging from the rafters in the garage as keep buying more bikes I’ve rebuilt the forks and given the engine a good scrub, polish and new stainless fasteners. Next up are the wheels to get rebuilt with stainless rims and spokes to keep it looking somewhat original, once these are done the rebuild can start and the rolling chassis should only take a couple of days to sort. So far it’s been fairly straightforward and not eye watering costs except the powdercoat and paint which seems to have gone up considerably since I last had some done, I also had a lot of fun getting the engine out, jeez it’s a heavy lump, gotta be very careful getting it back in..
I will post a few strip down pics later, but they’re just rusty photos I’m delighted your all still interested and will post more as I go
452aaefcc65ef0bc313ef2c9842a3932.jpg

I
a0acee1279fcce242a2418ff7643585c.jpg

Get a couple of pals to help you replace the engine. Protect the frame with newspapers and masking tape. You may be able to lie the engine on its side (suitably protected from the floor) and waggle the frame around it. (Sorry if that's in the granny sucking eggs manual!)

Someone here will hopefully have done it before ...

Get a couple of pals to help you replace the engine. Protect the frame with newspapers and masking tape. You may be able to lie the engine on its side (suitably protected from the floor) and waggle the frame around it. (Sorry if that's in the granny sucking eggs manual!)

Someone here will hopefully have done it before ...
I rebuilt a T160 from a box of bits in the mid 90’s. The engine was rebuilt by Arthur Jakeman and was a peach. He advised putting the engine in the frame as you advised as it was a doddle. I put a sheet on the flower, and foam pipe insulation on the frame rails, an easy one person job.

Attachments

• IMG_1407.jpeg
    IMG_1407.jpeg
    179.8 KB · Views: 26
I’m liking the sound of that, as the engine came out on the l/h side would I be correct and reverse the procedure?
I was thinking of putting the engine on its side on an old car tyre then frame over, mmm liking the idea, any other info would be appreciated
Steve

I’m liking the sound of that, as the engine came out on the l/h side would I be correct and reverse the procedure?
I was thinking of putting the engine on its side on an old car tyre then frame over, mmm liking the idea, any other info would be appreciated
Steve

As Bill says ..foam pipe lagging on the frame tubes.

Back
Top Bottom