Ride the Stelvio (Stilfser Joch) Pass twice in one day

Think and believe are powerful in your life.

But hey, we digress. Five days there and back from Leighton Buzzard, doable?

Thanks all, are planning for late July!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Excellent, thank you!
Now need to work on the route and logistics!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe they open the stelvio in May as they send up snow blowers and ploughs to shift it.

I'm with Wapping. As you say, opening is dependent on clearing and the responsible local authority has a specific schedule based around winter and summer seasons. Clear it any earlier and they have a high risk of having to do it again.

Go further north to the Susten Pass and it is more like the 3rd week in June for the same reason.

Wrapping, thanks for feedback. Will be leaving from just outside Leighton Buzzard, 5-7 days there and back, planning to ride the Stelvio on the Wednesday!

i go to Mandello del Lario twice a year . takes me 2 days to get there . i don't do peage or autobahn . I do Newhaven -Dieppe crossing , i doze on the boat , it spits you out at 0500 in the morning , i'm in Grenoble at 1900 that day . 1 days fun over alps and Northern Italy . You have to push it a bit , cos you aren't on m-ways.

For me , going the other way , is early boat Dover-Calais , over to Germany and Autobahn it . IIRC i camped outside Ulm , and dropped down from there .

out of town riding i average 40 mph , in the Alps it drops to 25 mph . so remember to adjust your satnav routing setup.

I've had friends say, PAH , i can do better than that , but they can't. i tend to be target fixated , but i'm doing trips on a strict time constraint. ( i do Rimini via Mandello in 8 days ) Plus i do not want to do m-ways/auto/Super Strada/peage.

do both sides of Stelvio , they are very different.

Take a peek at these routes - there are about 5 for Stelvio, all starting and ending in Livigno (which is decent place to stop when in the area) but obviously asy to edit to suit your chosen location.

https://www.myrouteapp.com/profile/routes/485#981738/name/asc

With 2 days to get there - A mainly motorway & LONG day one will get you to the Black Forest (but if you can travel down to the Tunnel the night before, or even better to get across to the French side it's much easier) from there to Livigno you can mainly use nice roads.

3 days each way allows for no more than the first morning being Motorway - and you can ride through many nice places on pleasant roads on the way, but would leave you bugger all time once there, so I would stick with 2 days each way, and let the boredom of the Motorway "buy" you an extra 2 days once there....

....Leaving you 3 whole days to ride all the other great passes in the area - Fluella, Albula, Gavia, Splugen, Bernina, Maloja and Julia are all well wroth riding...

...also means you are not pinning your hopes on that one day you have being nice - with 3 days you would be unlucky not to get a nice day at the top of the Stelvio, with just one day there is probably a 1/3 chance it will be crap - or even blocked due to snow which can happen on any day of the year, we went early August once and arrived at lunchtime, got a great ride up to the top with snow at roadside - that morning it had been closed due to overnight snowfall.

With another 2 days you could come in via Andermatt and have 2 nights there and ride the famous figure 8 loop - easily done in a day, and Andermatt is easily reachable in 2 days from Calais - and the ride from Andermatt to Livigno is fantastic, and fairly easy day if you go fairly directly - or go via the Lukmanier, San Bernadino, Splugen and Maloja...

https://www.myrouteapp.com/route/open/908030

Look at google Images for Splugen - really stunning!

Good advice from Rasher, as always.

It all hinges on the time available to complete the A (home) to B (destination) and back to A again. Not least, how much (or little) motorway the fellow wants to put in. On the Turkey Trot, we went London to Milan in a day and came back, Budapest to London in a day; so anything is possible really. That being said, we only did those legs as we did or it wouldn’t have been possible to get to Istanbul and back within the timeframe we’d set ourselves.

I believe they open the stelvio in May as they send up snow blowers and ploughs to shift it.

I think you’ll find it a good idea to factor in when all the high passes on your planned route open rather than just the one you want to be the highlight of the trip.

Back
Top Bottom