Swapping out non heated grips for heated grips

Induro

Reaction score
My 2009 F800GS was bought in Singapore and came without heated grips.

I recently screwed up attempting to fit Pro Grip Rallye grips and cut through the throttle tube and also messed up the connection on the left grip to the indicator cluster.

I've bought a used OEM set of grips with heated grips on Ebay in the US.

I don't really need heated grips here in Indonesia except for touring in the mountains, but I'm looking on how to wire these up and get them working on the bike anyway as i now have them.

Understand that aftermarket heated grips can we wired directly to the battery with a replay. Can I wire up the OEM grips in the same way avoiding the canbus ?

The left side indicator cluster also came supplied without the heated grip switch option. Would an aftermarket switch like this work ?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/OFV8-Motor.../dp/B06XKRH2P2/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_pb_opt?ie=UTF8

Thanks guys !

I would say that if you messed up removing the old grips (damaging the plastic throttle tube and left switchgear) then take the bike to somebody who knows about bike mechanics
The F800 runs Canbus wiring so if you plug into the loom (best way to add H Grips) then the ecu may well need to activate them
Ideally you add the correct switch gear with a heated grips button, but a separate switch may work too
Wiring direct to battery would work, but if you leave them on by mistake then you will flatten the battery and be unable to restart the bike

Ideally you add the correct switch gear with a heated grips button, but a separate switch may work too
Wiring direct to battery would work, but if you leave them on by mistake then you will flatten the battery and be unable to restart the bike

Got to agree with JB above, it will be so easy to leave your grips on if its cold or wet in the mountains. Take it to someone who understands the BMW canbus system and get them fitted correctly.

I would say that if you messed up removing the old grips (damaging the plastic throttle tube and left switchgear) then take the bike to somebody who knows about bike mechanics
The F800 runs Canbus wiring so if you plug into the loom (best way to add H Grips) then the ecu may well need to activate them

Thanks for your replies Steve & Johnny. I presumed BMW grips would be the same as KTM EXC grips. Wrong. Had no idea what I was getting into with a hangover & a Stanley knife :D

Theres a BMW dealer on the island, but they are about as experienced as I am wrenching on these bikes ! I would think they can update the canbus.

Do you think the Oxford switch would work as the external switch ?

Back
Top Bottom