Is travel/repatriation insurance mandatory for France?

The answer to this question depends on the origin of the traveller, which is clear from the information already posted in this thread.

If someone is a citizen of the EU, UK or an EEA country and therefore has access to EHIC or GHIC then travel insurance to cover medical costs is not needed.

If someone needs to apply for a Schengen Visa, such as my friend from South Africa joining me in Reims in May, then part of the application process includes showing insurance is in place. The friend also has to provide evidence of a return travel ticket from her UK home and details of pre-booked accommodation.

What the French government wants to know is that if you need medical treatment then either your insurance or reciprocal arrangement with your home country will foot the bill.

Seems to cover it.

Status Quo for the moment at least - until we need a Schengen visa. :eek:

Meanwhile, the point of the original post - is travel and repatriation insurance mandatory for entry to France, remains unanswered. Wapping assures us it isn't but Snafu2 posted a link, which appears to say it is. If it is or if it isn't, it's pretty difficult to find a definitive answer from an authoritative source.

The answer to this question depends on the origin of the traveller, which is clear from the information already posted in this thread.

Read the very simple Axa guide and decide which category of traveller to France YOU fit most neatly into. That is the answer to your question. It really is that simple.

If that isn’t good enough, contact the French embassy and ask them.

Or ask your contact with the document that (somewhat inconveniently) is in French, which seems to have started your quest for the truth, for some additional clarification, as all he seems to have done do far is confuse the hell out of you and who knows, maybe even himself.

Then go out and buy Travel insurance anyway, irrespective of anything else.

Read the very simple Axa guide and decide which category of traveller to France YOU fit most neatly into. That is the answer to your question. It really is that simple.

If that isn’t good enough, contact the French embassy and ask them.

Or ask your contact with the document that (somewhat inconveniently) is in French, which seems to have started your quest for the truth, for some additional clarification, as all he seems to have done do far is confuse the hell out of you and who knows, maybe even himself.

Then go out and buy Travel insurance anyway, irrespective of anything else.

I have annual travel insurance- see my post about the expensive American episode. I also have, depending on where I’m going, SOS or Global Rescue evacuation support.

Travel insurance only pays the bills, it won’t help you if you’re stuck in Mongolia with a broken leg miles from anywhere and no local rescue or medical service exists. These services come and get you!

So no need to fret on my account, I’m all covered thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great that you buy the appropriate Travel insurance (it’s a generic ‘catch all’ title for a large range of products and policies) for your intended destination and activity.

Is your mind now at ease over France, a country a lot less exotic than Mongolia?

:beerjug:

Great that you buy the appropriate Travel insurance (it’s a generic ‘catch all’ title for a large range of products and policies) for your intended destination and activity.

Is your mind now at ease over France, a country a lot less exotic than Mongolia?

:beerjug:

My mind is at ease, as I have a GHIC and travel insurance. However, I doubt if there’s enough evidence to convince the ex pat that it’s not compulsory to have travel insurance for a quick trip to Paris.

My mind is at ease, as I have a GHIC and travel insurance. However, I doubt if there’s enough evidence to convince the ex pat that it’s not compulsory to have travel insurance for a quick trip to Paris.

perhaps his self appointed credibility will persuade a traveller to buy insurance when they were considering not bothering. That in itself has to be a good thing. At least he is not trying to persuade someone to make bad choices...

perhaps his self appointed credibility will persuade a traveller to buy insurance when they were considering not bothering. That in itself has to be a good thing. At least he is not trying to persuade someone to make bad choices...

Good point.

Back
Top Bottom