BaseCamp routes creating straight lines in my Nav V

Status
Not open for further replies.
Garmin Express and / or my Nav V has now apologised and accepted that a brand new SanDisk card is of course fully acceptable and has graciously agreed to get on with the task of updating the maps.

Hoorah!

So it appears it may be a map incompatibility or them maybe not being installed. Good catch

Garmin Express and / or my Nav V has now apologised and accepted that a brand new SanDisk card is of course fully acceptable and has graciously agreed to get on with the task of updating the maps.

Hoorah!

Bollocks!

Now Garmin Express has stalled on Sep 2 of 2: Updating maps.

I will have to start again.

Force quit……

So it appears it may be a map incompatibility or them maybe not being installed. Good catch

I hope so.

After the fiddling about in Garmin Express, the internet for help with error codes, a new SD card and an obstreperous map update…. I’ll be somewhat peeved to find out that the Spanish route still won’t load properly.

25 minutes remaining on the map update on my Nav V….. providing another calamity doesn’t overtake it.

Hey-ho, we’ll get there in the end.

Feckin it, feck it, feck it….. now the map update has crashed with around two minutes to go.

I am suspecting the Garmin server…..

Starting again……

…. Wait a minute, that’s odd the device seems to have all the updated maps but the 3D nonsense seems to be AWOL, assuming it is still a feature.

5b6de34aec7bc2bcdbef071c0bce6c6c.jpg

I’ll reboot the Nav V to see if the detailed maps really are there at all.

....And the easy answer is that they are NOT. All I have is the base map, which is about as useful as a boiled egg.

Start again…….

Richard, your post 37 - yes those are all green ticked. On the PC, Garmin Basecamp, maps - City Navigator Europe NTU 2021.1 Hmm, is that it then? How do I update this precisely? I seems that my updates are only to the device and not the PC? If I'd ever seem the screen which allows the selection of both I'd now know to choose PC & Device together. Where might that be found?

Your post 38 - the first 2 pics are the nonsense route deviations I was getting.

My conclusions are that you know and understand a lot about this subject and for that I commend you - seriously do I commend you! However, the trouble you are going to and the problems you are having serve only to convince me that Garmin devices & software are/is infuriating and not in the least user friendly or intuitive.

It crashed again right near completion.

This is becoming very dull…. I have never had this sort of problem before in years of Garmin ownership. I have always found it quite intuitive, not least as I simply follow the instructions.

Here goes…..

Now the damned thing has frozen again on step 2 of 2….

And it’s still frozen, refusing to start stage 2.2. So, another force quite of Garmin Express and start again….

I have just seen a smirk on the screen of my iPhone 6 successfully running Pocket Earth … (nb v3.8’s new super fast routing engine) …

Feck it, feck it, feck it….. now the map update has crashed again with around two minutes to go.

I am suspecting the Garmin server…..

Starting again……

And crash….. and crash again, just as it nears completion.

That’s it, I now have no idea how to update the maps on my Nav V to the latest version.

It says it's done it.

Now comes the acid test..... and - from a quick flick around Europe - they all seem to be installed.....

Now that the maps match, to see if I can get the troublesome Spanish route to load straight from Basecamp into my Nav V.....

And..... bugger...... it comes in at 431 miles in 7 hours 10 minutes.

I haven't given up yet....

I am now going to recalculate the route in BaseCamp,which it should do in map version NTU 2022.2. Let's see what happens when I then send that to my Nav V.....

The maps have finally installed.

Now I can at last move on…..

The only way I could get the route to go properly from BaseCamp into my Nav V was to force a big recalculation in BaseCamp, as follows:

1. Highlight the route in the list in BaseCamp

2. Click on 'Get info'

3. Change the mode from motorbiking to another mode, I chose ‘twisty’ . This forces a recalculation but it also changes the roads taken. The magenta line for example, moving away from the motorway to take ‘twisty’ roads. This is not surprising.

4. I then changed the mode back to motorcycle, which forces a second recalculation. I think this process is all but identical to the recalculation made in the Nav V.

5. In BaseCamp, the recalculated route looks OK at 159 miles but, very odd as it has no time estimate for the journey. I cannot understand why it does not have an estimated journey time.

6. I sent the recalculated route to my Nav V which, straight away gave me a route of 161 miles (I am not going to argue over that) in two hours 55 minutes. Why Basecamp would't give a time, I have no idea.

PHEW!

Conclusions:

A. I don't now think it's a pure Nav V problem.

B. I think there is something odd about the Spanish route that Rustle created. I haven't (can't) put my finger on what it is.

C. What I also can't understand is why the Spanish route displays OK in Pocket Earth and on the XT with no recalculation but is odd on the Nav V. Maybe their processing power is greater?

D. If I were Rustle I would now:

i. Make sure that the maps on his PC AND those on his Nav V are up-to-date and identical. Also, make sure that the Nav V’s software is up-to-date, too.

ii. Create a new trial run route in the UK AND one in Spain AND one in say Germany or Sweden.

iii. Send all three trial run routes to his Nav V and report back what happens.

Richard

PS I am just delighted that the latest maps finally installed on my Nav V. That, I am sure, was a Garmin server problem and / or something getting a bit flakey with the internet in my corner of London E1 or my Mac sulking.... or because it was Monday.

Rustle look at the picture in the above post 33 from me to see what needs ticking in express to get it on your pc.

You have to select update maps on computer and device in garmin express or it will just update maps on unit as its default. check the picture below

attachment.php

What I now can’t understand is why, in post #23 I was able to load the Spanish route properly into BaseCamp on my Mac, whilst yesterday evening (in post #54) it wouldn’t load properly.

I am guessing that something has happened to the copy of Rustle’s route stored in Dropbox. How this might have happened I don’t know, but maybe it was in some sort of ‘auto-save’ between my Mac and Dropbox? It is odd if that is the cause, as I usually get a pop-up window, asking me if I’d like to save any changes made. Or, more likely perhaps, I was looking at a somehow corrupted second version of the Spanish route on my Mac.

As I still have Rustle’s original email and route, tonight I’ll load that into BaseCamp and see what happens. I am though still thinking that:

A. There is something odd about Rustle’s Spanish route. What though and why, is a mystery.

B. The oddness was maybe compounded because the maps loaded into Rustle’s Nav V were different to those loaded onto his PC.

But, I’m still confused as to why the Spanish route loaded OK for Lee. And confused as to why it loaded OK for me into Pocket Earth and into my XT.

You have set us an interesting problem, Rustle. It will be interesting to hear that you have harmonised the maps on your PC and Nav V and when you’ve tried to create the three fresh trial run routes, as suggested in post #54. The truth is, everything should work - not least as it worked for you in the past - we just need to work out why it then went wrong. Not least as understanding why, will help to avoid it happening again.

Richard i have loaded that route into 3 devices and had no issue also loaded it into 3 different pieces of software, picture below of it loaded into google maps, as you would expect its just straight lines like it would be before recalculation, but there are also opaque circles on that uploaded route in between the way points and i really dont know what they are or if they may be of relevance. they are not shown on any other software i have used. hard to see in the pic but they are there mainly in the middle of the long straight lines.

Attachments

• Untitled spain.jpg
    Untitled spain.jpg
    244.7 KB · Views: 82
Leedude, I see what needs to be ticked for PC & Nav updates BUT I've never seen that screen before hence not been able to tick anything. How did you access/find that screen? It would appear that my Express is as up to date as my Nav but the odd one out is Basecamp. Without the screen you showed in your post, how do I update Basecamp? I can't locate any such options in the Basecamp menu.

Richard, you are having a nightmare with these updates. My suggestion is to post "Rustle, you're an idiot and have caused me an inordinate amount of needless work. Thread closed/locked!" :thumb2

A curve ball: I seem to remember in the dim and distant past that choosing the “Car” mode over the “motorcycle” mode was preferred/recommended

I have also had issues in the past when I got straight lines in Basecamp and was unable to correct this by forcing a recalculation. It turned out that BC had randomly deselected the details maps and selected the global map. Selecting the correct maps in the Maps Dropdown-Menü menu immediately corrected the straight lines etc. So I now always check what maps are selected and never just assume that the latest version is still selected

A curve ball: I seem to remember in the dim and distant past that choosing the “Car” mode over the “motorcycle” mode was preferred/recommended

Hi Paul,

This was a theory advanced by bods who had created their routes outside of BaseCamp, for instance in MyRoute. As with many things, it apparently worked for them but apparently not for others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom