BaseCamp routes creating straight lines in my Nav V

Status
Not open for further replies.
BINGO!

I MIGHT have just hit on an answer.

All along, the corrupted routes look as if they have been created in the base map version of the map, not in the detailed map. I know the detailed maps for north and south Europe are loaded onto my Nav V as I can see all the intimate detail when I zoom in. BUT......

I am now getting a pop-up window in BaseCamp that says that the routes exported to the Nav V are being rewritten as the maps on the Nav V do not match those in BaseCamp. That is plainly bollox, as I can see them when I zoom in on the device and can see them on my Mac's screen when the device is connected. Nor does it explain why the route that came in from MyRoute loaded properly onto the Nav V. What it also doesn't explain is how I can create a detailed route, in the detailed maps, directly in my Nav V. Nor does it explain why I can Bluetooth a route from my XT to my Nav V and have it load perfectly. What I think the message means is that BaseCamp cannot see the maps installed on the Nav V, even though I can see them and they are listed quite plainly.

This might explain why Rustler now has no problems..... in his excellent tapping about (you can't break it) .... he has somehow maybe reloaded the detailed maps and everything now works.

I am now going to reload the maps onto my Nav V..... again!

Rustle glad to hear you are sorted now, just tell us now how you managed to fix it please.:beerjug::beerjug::jibberbig:jibberbig I will have a guess that reloading all the complete maps on the device and pc did the trick, why if they were already installed i do not know.

Very strange that Richard are you sure its the maps on the unit and not basecamp. maybe an idea to re install both to be sure.

It's beyond strange, Lee.

Garmin Express is reporting (correctly) that my Nav V is up to date with City Navigator 2022.20 the detailed maps of which I can see on the device itself when I zoom in anywhere from Gibraltar to the north of Finland.

The top of Mont Ventoux as displayed on my Nav V.

d6a257dcc0700b28a0d33e2e7869d97b.jpg

BaseCamp can see the maps on my Nav V when its connected and confirms its CN 2022.20

BaseCamp itself is definitely running 2022.20 as I can see detailed maps without the device connected.

I just did a fresh install of the maps to my Nav V which crashed with about a minute to go, saying there was not enough space on a 32 gb SD card, with only 8 gb on it.

I have just put a fresh brand new card into the device and will now start again.

Leedude, I can only guess that perhaps my original Nav map install/update was corrupted in some way - this only postulated from some of Wapping's comments. When I re-installed would I have installed a "better" update or a (luckily) non-corrupted version? Undoubtedly my original Basecamp version may have messed things up as well? I can't offer a tangible explanation because I was pretty much lost from the beginning of this saga! I do know this, without your "work around" my routes would have been useless and, without Wapping's knowledge and, especially, his determination (is it really bloody-minded cussedness? Joke, joke) I might have placed the Nav 5 in a seldom frequented dark cupboard.

All; get yourselves a large virtual glass of Jam Shed Malbec this evening! Other brands and grapes are available.

This just gets better and better.

The Nav V has very graciously finally allowed Garmin Express to reinstall the maps but now BaseCamp cannot see the device at all.

Time to close everything down and start afresh.

May i ask if your machines pc and mac are downloading these very large updateds via wifi or ethernet. if via wifi may i suggest you to use ethernet.

Via pretty fast internet.

I am now hugely confused but I am having a BINGO! moment, too.

My Nav V has the detailed 2022.2 maps re-installed, I can see them when I zoom in.

BaseCamp sees my Nav 5 and its internal SD card. It drags across City Navigator Europe 2022.2 but only the base map, not the detailed maps. Inevitably, BaseCamp, as it matches route transfers to the maps it thinks are on the device, sends over stripped down routes that match the base map, even though the device has a full set of detailed maps installed.

I have though hit on a workaround. I have instructed BaseCamp NOT to match the routes it sends across to the maps it thinks are on my Nav V.

This AT LAST has mended the problem. I can now send uncorrupted routes, created in BaseCamp to my Nav V.

All I have to do now is find out why BaseCamp is refusing to drag the detailed 2022.2 maps across from my Nav V.

PS I am glad I like BaseCamp and Garmin, as any sane person would have given up by now and moved to Kiev.

great stuff glad to hear it, so in essence are we saying the issue with the nav V is possibly a corrupt download from garmin for both you and Rustle, or is that way off the mark.

You really could NOT make this up.

Following another complete shut down by me and a run with CleanMyMac...... BaseCamp has now, of its own valition, started to drag the detailed maps across from my Nav V! Unbelievable!

A week of mucking around and looks like it might all be mended. All I'll have to do then is go back into preferences and allow BaseCamp to match routes it transfers to the Nav V's maps and all should be hunky-dory once more.

In my joy…..

One test route of 39.6 miles displayed in BaseCamp as installed on my Nav V (but strangely yet again with no time, which should be 1:04:17) and the same route on my Nav V, uncorrupted…. Hoorah!

94d2cfaef7b61f3d4c1d1aa1fbbe0f15.jpg

28305603c7b543aa226cf0fc50f20f86.jpg

6f6a75c0e1ffe898c6439b0ad94f87a9.jpg

fdb07d1090dcfb40cc73e2ae5ed859b4.jpg

It all works….. and it better not stop!

Thanks everyone for their support and good humour, especially Rustle who, in his numpty (that’s a joke) IT world alerted us to his problem, which - with good help from Lee, giving lots of screen shots and advice - he mended on his own. I eventually threatened BaseCamp and my Nav V with enough big sticks, that they gave up the battle…. And all (for now at least) is well.

Richard

great stuff glad to hear it, so in essence are we saying the issue with the nav V is possibly a corrupt download from garmin for both you and Rustle, or is that way off the mark.

I am not sure, to be honest, Lee. I think it's a combination of factors that have coincided.

During this morning I found that BaseCamp hides a separate software update for the Nav V, that doesn’t seem to appear in Garmin Express. I ran that, which might have done something.

There are several bits that I still don’t understand, not least why the MyRoute route went across uncorrupted from BaseCamp when other routes, also from BaseCamp would only go across in a corrupted form. Similarly, I have no idea why BaseCamp stopped dragging across the detailed maps from my Nav V, nor really any idea why it then restarted. Nor why the Nav V rejected an SD card it was perfectly happy with earlier in the day.

It was only when I read again your post from yesterday, when you said that the corrupted route looked like the fastest time (straight lines) to join up the shaping points, that I realised the corrupt route had to be based on the base map, even though the device and BaseCamp both had full detailed maps installed. This set me off thinking again, sort of realising that it isn't a corruption in the true sense but a route that Basecamp has stripped down so that it would work on a base map, as that is what BaseCamp thought was installed on the Nav V.

I then realised that the setting where BaseCamp matches a route to the maps on the device was actually working as an impediment, if BaseCamp thought that the Nav V only had a base undetailed map installed. That Basecamp was deliberately sending a stripped down route then sort of made sense, as it would explain why a recalculation worked in the Nav V, which was something that had been confusing me all week. The device could take the stripped down route and recalculate it against the detailed map it held, to produce a route that then near enough matched the original detailed route in BaseCamp...... and the rest, as they say, is history.

All good fun, providing you manage to stay patient long enough, confident that you really can’t break it.

Richard

:beerjug:

Me, I continue to use Tyre and understand the routing differences that occur between Tyre and my Nav V. I'd rather that than have to use BaseCamp. ;-)

Me, I continue to use Tyre and understand the routing differences that occur between Tyre and my Nav V. I'd rather that than have to use BaseCamp. ;-)

Each to their own i guess, we all do what we think is the best for ourselves, and that is a good thing as it creates diversity.

I am not sure, to be honest, Lee.

During this morning I found that BaseCamp hides a separate software update for the Nav V, that doesn’t seem to appear in Garmin Express. I ran that, which might have done something.

There are several bits that I still don’t understand, not least why the MyRoute route went across uncorrupted from BaseCamp when other routes, also from BaseCamp would only go across in a corrupted form. Similarly, I have no idea why BaseCamp stopped dragging across the detailed maps from my Nav V, nor really any idea why it then restarted. Nor why the Nav V rejected an SD card it was perfectly happy with earlier in the day.

It was only when I read again your post from yesterday, when you said that the corrupted route looked like the fastest time (straight lines) to join up the shaping points, that I realised the corrupt route had to be based on the base map, even though the device and BaseCamp both had full detailed maps installed. This set me off thinking again, sort of realising that it isn't a corruption in the true sense but a route that Basecamp has stripped down so that it would work on a base map, as that is what BaseCamp thought was installed on the Nav V.

I then realised that the setting where BaseCamp matches a route to the maps on the device was actually working as an impediment, if BaseCamp thought that the Nav V only had a base undetailed map installed. That Basecamp was deliberately sending a stripped down route then sort of made sense, as it would explain why a recalculation worked in the Nav V, which was something that had been confusing me all week. The device could take the stripped down route and recalculate it against the detailed map it held, to produce a route that then near enough matched the original route in BaseCamp...... and the rest, as they say, is history.

All good fun, providing you manage to stay patient long enough, confident that you really can’t break it.

Richard

:beerjug:

All is well that ends well Richardand let us hope that is the last of the issue, it does seem that for both yourself and Rustle a complete re install of everything and a full update of software has fixed the issue, lets hope so.

Open letter to John (jfheath) who has been helping outside of UKGSer.

Hi John,

I got there in the end.

I was becoming increasingly confused, frustrated even, as to why some things worked, whilst others didn’t. For example:

Why did a route, created in MyRoute, imported as a track into BaseCamp, then converted by BaseCamp into a route, export perfectly into my Nav V. When a route created in directly in BaseCamp displayed corrupted in the same Nav V? I never did find an answer to this one.

Why was I able to create detailed routes directly in my Nav V, when detailed routes created directly in BaseCamp arrived corrupted in the same Nav V?

Why were routes, created directly in BaseCamp arriving corrupted in my Nav V but displaying perfectly in my XT and in other devices and softwares?

Why were routes created in my XT, then Bluetooth’d across to my Nav V, displaying perfectly?

Why were the blue dot shaping points in place but joined by corrupted straight lines?

Why could a corrupted route (that was perfect when it left BaseCamp) then be rendered perfect again by the Nav V, when converted from fastest time, to curvy and then back to fastest time, all from within the Nav V itself?

Everything pointed to a misfit between BaseCamp and my Nav V. Eventually I found the answer….

Starting with the basics.

Following your tip, I rechecked that BaseCamp and my Nav V both had the same 2022.2 maps installed. They did. I could see all the fine map detail if I zoomed in on my Nav V and in BaseCamp, anywhere from Helsinki, to Berlin, to Rome, to Lisbon. More on this later.

I checked that BaseCamp and the Nav V were capable of creating proper, uncorrupted routes, independently of each other. They both were.

Lee, in the thread on UKGSer, very nearly got it right. It was his comment that the corrupted routes looked as if they were the fastest time (straight lines) between the shaping points. It was only the next day, when I read back through the comments (I’ll come onto yours again later) that I realised that the word ‘corrupted’ that I had used was wrong. I also realised that Lee’s use of the word ‘looked’ was wrong, too. It dawned on me that the routes were not ‘corrupted’ at all. Instead, they were routes based entirely on the base map, not on the detailed map. In other words, they didn’t look as if they were. They actually were exactly that: Basic A to B to C, hitting each via point blue dot but entirely and only structured to suit the base map. But why?

Here your comments about checking the maps came into play. I had already checked that the same 2022.2 detailed maps were installed on my Nav V and into BaseCamp. I had even gone so far as checking that I had set BaseCamp to export routes in a form that matched the maps on the device by default. Why then was my Nav V (equipped with detailed maps) receiving routes that BaseCamp had stripped back to being only basic map compatible? And why then, was the same BaseCamp exporting the same route in its full form to my XT and into other apps? Slowly the light came on….

BaseCamp, for some reason I never worked out, could not see that my Nav V had detailed maps installed in it! The default instruction to export routes that matched those on the device was therefore the cause of the problem, not the solution. I turned the default instruction off and BINGO! BaseCamp exported the fully detailed route, irrespective that it thought my Nav V only had a basic map installed. In short, I had a work around, that worked. The detailed routes, sent from BaseCamp into my Nav V were now perfect again.

I then thought to myself, that the work around should not be necessary, as I have never needed it before. I reloaded the detailed maps onto the Nav V. This proved a problem as for some reason or another, the device stopped recognising the SD card. A new SD card fixed that.

I reconnected the Nav V to my Mac and to BaseCamp. Still BaseCamp refused to see that the devise had detailed maps installed. I shut down everything. I powered down the Nav V by holding the power button down and completely powered off my Mac. I restarted the Mac and ran ‘CleanMyMac’ just in case. I fired up BaseCamp and reconnected my Nav V. Still BaseCamp thought that the Nav V didn’t have the detailed maps! Then suddenly, with no more intervention from me, it stated to drag the detailed maps across, just as it should and just as it had always done before.

I waited for the drag across to finish. I then re-set the default position to always send routes in a form that matched the maps on the device. I then drew a fresh trial run route of 100 miles, quite complex, and sent it across to my Nav V…… it displayed…… perfectly!

Normality and good BaseCamp to device interface had been restored, after many failures but with good support from Lee and you…. And a bit of patience from me.

What lessons have I learned?

A. Just because I know and can see with my own eyes that the device and BaseCamp both have the same detailed maps installed, it doesn’t mean that BaseCamp knows too. Why it failed to drag the detailed maps across, I have no idea.

B. That the default ‘Always match routes sent from BaseCamp to the maps on the device’ can be a double edged sword, if BaseCamp doesn’t know that detailed maps are installed on the device.

C. Trying lots of alternatives, slowly narrows a problem down to the basic fault.

D. That what is sometimes seen as a ‘corruption’ isn’t. It is only the dumb device and software doing what it’s been told to do. I knew this, as it’s often the answer I give to people who blame faults in Garmin to corruption when it’s only the device doing what it’s been told to do. In my defence, the dumb software had failed in its basic duty to read that the Nav V did have the detailed maps installed but I should have realised that what I saw as corruption wasn’t corruption at all. Lee very nearly got there but between his pieces of the jigsaw, mixed in with mine and pieces from you, we got there in the end.

E. That behind a stripped down base map only route, can lurk sufficient ghost points between known shaping points, for a reasonably modern (Nav V) to recreate a detailed route from within the device itself, providing the original full route was created in BaseCamp in the first place.

F. That staying patient and taking in help (or just observations) from others really does help. In fact it was Rustle’s comment in the thread that he had, in his complete and self-confessed numpty innocence, somehow mended his problem that told me that a solution lay out there somewhere.

G. That I have no idea why a track, created in MyRoute, then converted within BaseCamp into a route and then exported as a route into the Nav V, was then rendered up in the Nav V perfectly. When routes, created directly in BaseCamp didn’t.

All the best and thanks again everyone, especially Rustle, who started the ball rolling.

Richard

To me, and to anyone casually following this thread, the combination of your knowledge, deduction and tenacity is truly impressive. To you and Lee I offer the grateful thanks that a few words on a screen can't completely convey. :clap

Whilst I accept your premise that the dumb Garmin is only doing our bidding I still maintain that, for the simpleton (me) who wants to create a route and then stick it on the Nav device these Garmin software scribblers have rendered it overly complex. In my more manic moments trying to sort the route (never mind getting the thing connected to my PC) I imagined that it was programmed to fail if there was a "day" suffix on the day of the week or, if there was a loose reef knot in the USB cable it would probably work every time. At least I know which door to knock if I have any more questions - but, for your sanity's sake, I might leave it for a year or two! :)

It is always difficult to analyse and sort out problems when you have not got the items in question in front of you, and you are relying on others to actually give you the right info or what they think is the right info, also things get lost in translation. We make assumptions on information given that may or may not be correct, we also make statements to others that what they are saying cant possibly be the cause of the problem because of that information given, but in the end with no one losing there cool or throwing their toys out of the pram and remaining calm and civil the issue has been sorted. Top job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom