BaseCamp routes creating straight lines in my Nav V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rustle

Reaction score
Advance warning - Garmin numpty here……

I have a Nav 5 which has the same software (3.50 downloaded to both a couple of days ago) as Basecamp on my laptop. I have successfully created and run many routes in the UK with no problems over the past couple of years but, I've been creating routes in Basecamp for France and Spain recently and now I have a problem. In Basecamp all the routes look fine with no errant shaping points or mad, random loops but on the Nav 5 the routes are crazy. The routes are 3-6 times longer in distance and time and there are multiple "spurs" popping off apparently at random for what seems like no apparent reason plus there must be total route loop-backs I can't see because the route timings are huge eg a 1 hour 14 min route on Basecamp is almost 6 hours on the device.

What have I done - compared software on both - Yes ok, Checked all settings are the same on both - yes ok. Allowed toll roads, don't avoid "traffic". Deleted (ref Wapping's comment about thorough deletion, I have only deleted the routes by the method I know on screen) all France/Spain routes and re-loaded them. Unsurprisingly the same result.

This may be a simple problem for those who understand the system but it seems far from intuitive to me. Any help welcomed.
Thanks

Edit: As it now appears to not be a problem with BaseCamp, I have moved this post and thread into the Nav V sub-section. Richard

Last edited by a moderator:
It would be helpful if you shared the route(s) with us. We could then look at them to try to work out what is going wrong. Doing it without is often really hard.

The most frequent causes of straight lines displayed on any navigation device are:

A. A difference in the map details. I assume your Nav V has the maps turned on and that the maps on the device match those on your computer?

B. A lack of data between known points, basically at the end of each spike. The device knows where the points are but lacks any method of joining them together by known roads.

PS I have taken the liberty of creating you a fresh thread.

I have somehow posted in the wrong place! I don't have "straight line" problems. I meant to post in the Nav 5 section but I think when I selected "Reply to thread" instead of "quick reply" I lost the appropriate thread. Jeezo, if I can't even pop a post in the correct part of a forum how will I solve a routing problem on a satnav. I'm a numpty again and I apologise, Wapping. Maybe you could whizz my original post/reply onto the Nav 5 one and delete this embarrassing one!

I think it’s fine here. I moved it.

The route starts life (ie is created) in BaseCamp. The problem with the straight lines manifests itself in your Nav V. If you can share the BaseCamp route with us, we can try to:

A. Look at it, to see if something is odd about it.

B. See if it will install properly on a Nav V and / or on other devices.

Between A and B and maybe C, we’ll work it out, I’m sure.

Host the file on something like Dropbox and post the link in this thread, please.

Seen it loads of times when downloading routes to other rider's sat navs. Not sure why it happens but if you recalculate the route on your NAV5 using a different preference (Faster Time / Curvy Roads / Off Road / Shorter Distance then recalculate using the original profile it should fix it.

Firstly, many thanks for the prompt replies. Wapping, I don't have a Dropbox account but I could have maybe sent photos of screens (?). But, but, but, this won't be necessary because, TonyZZR, you Sir have solved it! I have only done two of my many routes thus far but it's sorted them. Singly, I converted from fast to curvy then quit out - I didn't know what it needs as a reboot - and then re-selected and converted back to fast. As an example, I had a very short route of 24 miles/30 mins which became 179 miles/2hr 30 which, of course, makes no sense and seems to conform to no pattern, and it's now spot on. Brilliant! Why the damn thing does this, someone will know I'm sure. I know I'd never have considered doing this nor would I have expected it to solve the problem.

Gentlemen, may I thank you both again for assisting!

Thank you for the update and good that you have been given a cure, if not the cause.

What is not clear is why your Nav V (which you tell us had quite happily received routes created in BaseCamp before) suddenly required the routes to be significantly recalculated on import. That sounds to me as if one of two things possibly happened:

1. The type of file sent from BaseCamp to the Nav V had somehow changed. That being said, if it worked perfectly when you created routes for the UK, it’s hard to see why it would change for a route created for France.

2. Or, something about the way the route is imported and displayed into the Nav V is different.

Have a go at finding the cause of the problem, would be my next suggestion. It sounds from the solution tha the setting for route calculation within your Nav V had been altered. There is quite an easy way to find out which, as you can’t break anything, you might want to try:

1. Create a test route say 150 miles long, that takes different roads. In other words one that has shaping or via points in it, rather than one that is a basic straight A to B.

2. Send it to your Nav V. Does it import perfectly, everything matching? If yes, then you know it should be perfect every time.

3. If the answer is no, go to the routing preference screen on your Nav V and look at its settings. Preferably they should match those you have set in BaseCamp. Re-set the settings so that they do match.

4. Delete the 125 mile test route completely from the Nav V.

5. Send the same 125 mile test route again. Does it import and display perfectly now?

Let us know how you get on please, as finding the cause is as important as finding the cure.

PS If you ever want a safety net. When you send a route from BaseCamp into your Nav V, send a track version of the route, too. If you then ever find that you have got a corrupt route, you can summon up the track and ask the Nav V to convert it into a route. More times than not, the Nav V should do this reasonably perfectly. Bingo, one safety net.

PPS It is best practice to always have the preference settings on your Nav V matching those of your home computer. It is also always best practice to check ALL your routes, particularly for a multi-day holiday, before you leave home and the comfort of your PC. Things fixed at home are much easier done than than at the side of the road. What do I mean by check?

A. Summon up each route individually on the Nav V.

B. Does it match, near enough, the version on your home computer? In other words is the shape correct, do the total mileages match and the estimated times too? Do the blue dot shaping points look right and any flags for ‘must do’ via points? You do not need to be too anal about this. For instance, the mileage simply needs to look just about correct. The times may differ a bit, so only get a bit suspicious if they differ significantly. If something is vastly out of kilter, mend it then and there.

Enjoy your Nav V (they are very good devices) and BaseCamp, it too is very good, the two working well together. Come back to the GPS section any time you have a problem. Someone will always know how to help.

Thanks for this information. Sorry for the delay in testing your ideas. I prepared a route in Spain incorporating all types of roads and junctions, town and country etc. 159 miles and 3hr 22 min in Basecamp. Via and shaping points. Imported it to Nav 5 and it says 431 miles and 8hr 55min. Looked at the Nav 5 map for the route and there are numerous random spurs not related to shaping points etc. ie like previously. The route preferences and avoidances are the same so far as direct comparisons can be made. Nav 5 - avoid car-share/unpaved roads/seasonal closures. Basecamp - unpaved roads, "carpool lanes". The basic shape of the mapped route is broadly similar to that in Basecamp except for some straightlining in places and these multiple random spurs.

I amended the route preference on the Nav from Faster to Curvy Roads and it's now 160 miles and 3hr 30min. Re-amend back to Faster and it's 161 miles and 3hr 20min. And the map looks exactly like the Basecamp version. You are correct when you say a cause needs to be identified. However, I'm glad I got this far since it took me at least 3 tutorials on youtube to get to this stage. Basecamp may be clever/useful etc but I find it impossibly non-intuitive. This may be the limit of my satnav needs and my Garmin-related intellectual capability.

Edit: I highlighted the red, simply as it differs from the settings in BaseCamp. Richard

Untick (deselect) seasonal closures.

When I get home I’ll PM you my email address, so you can send me the route. I can then share it with the forum. Between us I am sure we can work out what the cause is of the problem is.

Richard

Dont give up on it, trust me it will be something silly you are missing or not doing, many people come to these pages with similar issues and in general it is sorted out by someone or a combination of bods.
Do as Wapping has asked and send the route in question to him.

Than you, Lee.

I agree, as and when we receive the route file we’ll hopefully be best placed to assist Rustle. Before then, the cause is just conjecture.

I have taken your guidance and unticked "seasonal closures". I've turned off the laptop and re-booted it but no difference. There is a small village in the county of Angus whose name springs to mind right now - "Kinell"!

Last edited by a moderator:
Richard, just sent it to you, I think. I, unsurprisingly considering my IT stupidity, couldn't work out how to do so initially. Ref the useful links on driver issues affecting communication twixt laptop and satnav; laptop is a January 2020 model and, following the link instructions, the reference to 2016 issues shouldn't apply? I did check my history and didn't pick up the number referenced. Folks, I appreciate all your assistance but I'm certain the problem is of my making and meanwhile, my routes are already created and sorted with the (odd) work-around suggested. I now need to figure out why the computer/nav divorce happened. Gadsake!

Bingo!

I now have the route from Rustler, thank you for sending it through. Here it is for anyone that wants to help:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/11uin9308a4iff3/Test route Spain.gpx?dl=0

The good news is that the GPX route appears to be OK, as it displays properly in Pocket Earth on my iPad.
You can ignore the red route, that’s just something I had in Pocket Earth already.

be2ae3ea5bb8624bacffae0267182b68.jpg

There again, Pocket Earth is usually very good at opening and displaying some GPX routes that are not perfect, so I will try something else, too.

The next bit of news is that I have sent the route from my iPad, to Garmin Drive on my iPhone and from there to my XT. The very good news is that the route displays perfectly on my XT, matching exactly the route of 159 miles displayed in Pocket Earth. There are no spikes or any other faults that I can see.

I haven’t yet had the chance to display the route in BaseCamp nor import it into my Navigator V but, based on nothing but the above, I suspect it will be OK. Assuming that it is OK and / or if other people want to check things, I can only think:

A. There is nothing wrong with the route Rustler created in BaseCamp.

B. The problems only manifest themselves when he imports the route into his Nav V from BaseCamp and then displays it.

C. If A and B are correct, it must be something inside his Navigator V that is causing the problem. If so, my guesses are:

i. An incomplete or corrupted detailed map….. or he only has the base map activated

ii. Something inside the device’s settings or preferences

iii. Something else, but what?

I have now sent the route, via Bluetooth, from my XT to my Navigator V. It imports perfectly into Trip Planner and displays perfectly.

It’s the correct distance, 159 miles.

It’s the right shape.

It has all the shaping points.

It has no spikes.

I am now going to delete the route on my Navigator V, change the routing settings to ‘Avoid seasonal closures’ and import it again from the XT, to see if that makes any difference…… and…… it makes absolutely no difference at all. It is still perfect.

I am now going to delete the route again on my Nav V, turn off the ‘Avoid seasonal closures’ but this time turn off the detailed maps, but leave the basic base map on……and….. this time it is starting to be a bit of a mess:

A. The route is the right distance at 159 miles.

B. The map view of the route is now full of orange flags but it has no spikes.

C. The estimated time has gone out to eight hours.

I have one more thing to try…….. which is reimporting the route, using the detailed maps but setting the calculation mode to ‘off road’ and….. it’s perfect again.

So far, whichever way I try I can’t replicate the OP’s spikey route. The only thing I haven’t tried is putting the route into BaseCamp and fiddling around with the type of route that is exported to the Navigator V, to see if that way I can get spikes.

Richard

Transfers fine to basecamp and to my 660 and 550 with no issue not had a really close look but all appears ok on the face of it. No alteration for me with date and time closures selected route remains the same.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    249.7 KB · Views: 133
Thank you, Lee.

Other than looking at the OP’s Navigator V and at the route in BaseCamp on his PC, I can’t see how or why the route provided is coming out with spikes in his device.

Delighted that I seem to appear as Wapers on your PC :D :beerjug:

There is one other thing that may make a difference and that is the setting shown in pic below always match route, try ticking it if unticked, and if ticked untick and see if they differ.

Richard its easier to put routes concerning us both under your name then i know where they are.

Attachments

• Untitled22.jpg
    Untitled22.jpg
    236.8 KB · Views: 127
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom