Something different, island and bridge hopping Norway - Finnsnes

Wapping

Reaction score
Knut will hopefully be able to tell us if this is any good.

It comes courtesy of Motorrad, Sweden magazine (Edition 15 - July 2021)

a472ad101aadda4d1840695b04638ec3.png

695a4303e6303cb229de76db7136bd3a.png

The pictures in the article look OK but that could just be skill on the part of the photographer.

The described rout as such is good enough. But 1000 km?

If using the Ferry from Bodø¸ - Moskenes is used, the route will be started at the lower left of the picture.
The distance from the ferry to Svolvær is 100 km, and Svolvær - Andenes is 200 km.

I did this ride a couple of years ago, and we used the ferry Bodø¸ - Moskenes, and then stopped in Svolvær, which a 90 min ride from the ferry.
Svolvær is 'The place to be' in this area, meaning facilities such as hotels, restaurants and a touch of nightlife. We stayed in Svolvær for 3 nights, using one day to tour the area and one day of 'Tourist stuff'.
Tourist stuff in this contex may include, hiking, boatrides or renting canoos.
As we started from Bodø¸ on a monday, this meant that we continued towards Andenes on a thursday, arriving Andenes at a descent hour.
The friday was reserved for a 'Whale Safari', which I can highly recommend (just make sure you book the tour that is NOT in a RIB (speedy rubber boat).
Saturday morning, we took the ferry from Andenes - Gryllefjord. But rather than going to Finnsnes, as shown in the magazine, we went to Botnhamn, and took the ferry Botnhamn - Brensholmen and continued to Tromsø¸, where we also stayed for a couple of days. Ref the NTV 03 Senja.gpx route.

Lofoton is very scenic, and riding it is best done at an easy pace. The Motorrad map shows several names, but I would suggest picking Henningsvær and Nusfjord. Not that the other names are butt ugly, but at least in my case, the mind gets saturated, so rather than filling it up with too many views, I prefer to slow down and spend more time at fewer places.
On the ride to Andenes. rather than going 'Andøya - Dverberg' I would recommend staying on the west side of the island, (i.e following the road, not showing in the picture above, but may be described as 'Andøya - Andenes'.
A couple of km's before reaching Andenes you will then pass this place: https://spaceship-aurora.andoyaspace.no/english.
It's unreal, in the middle of freacking nowhere.... Actually, it's a scientific station that uses small rockets to explore the AuroraBorealis 'stuff'.and they have made part of their site available to the public. It's science only, and there are no military restrictions. So spending a couple of hours may be time well spent.

The Senja island is very scenic, but has not much to offer beyond pretty pictures. The scenic part is on the coastal part to the north, the inland part is less spectacular.

Back
Top Bottom