Motorway ‘blipper’ / smart tags - For ALL news, advice, how to get one and what’s best, irrespective of the country

Mine is on the clip next to the rear view mirror when in my car, works perfectly

In wifey’s car we just put it on the top of the dashboard, don’t have a windscreen clip, works fine too

Top jacket pocket when on the bike

It seems that the Sanef tags last about 5 years before the battery is done.

Mine is about 4 and-a-half years old and sits on the dash behind a heated screen. On our recent trip to France it worked perfectly except for two occasions when it needed to be waved around before the barrier opened. Luckily neither was in a 30 kph 'approach' lane!

I don't know what you mean by this.

Yep, sorry, the opposite of what I said.
If your screen is shielded, there should be a marked area though.

Generally, on all the cars I always installed the blippers in this position, never had an issue:

images

Mini-update (as this is being referenced in the travel tips)...

I've just came back home yesterday after almost a couple of months abroad, but I found a slightly better way to keep the Telepeage blipper in place (and dry) rather than the zip ties used above.
It is also obviously easier to take it off at night if the bike is parked on the street.

https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B09YDRHDL9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These are quite common in Italy.
You'll need the "small" version, as the original one is sized for the old Italian Telepass that is way bigger.

Pardon the dirty bike... but it has just done a few miles :lol:

oj1.jpg

oj2.jpg

The sensor (on the 30kmh gates) is facing down on your left at a ~45 degree angle.
When keeping it in the chest pocket I noticed that I have to "lie back" a tiny bit for the sensor to read the tag. Otherwise OK on the newest gates (southern France), but those clearly work differently (induction loop I guess) and are more similar to the Italian Telepass gates = more sensitivity. (I am traveling in France right now).

I strapped my tag on the windscreen frame of my GS and works very well (I'm in France now). I'll try to find a small bag to keep it dry and make it less "zip-tie mechanic" :D :D

ulys-tag-s.png

I put mine in a small watertight bag (used by runners) which has a double seal and velcros onto the handlebar centre piece.

My APRR/mango one got confused in Spain last month.

It failed to work on the western end of the AP8 at Bilbao - an impressive mountain motorway through several tunnels to get around Bilbao. Worked fine on the AP68 going south from there. I used both to get to Argomaniz after my ferry arrived in Santander late.

On the way from San Sebastian to the Picos in torrential rain I decided to use the motorway again as the mountains were covered in low cloud. I again used the AP8 and entering the eastern end, the machine gave me a ticket. When I got to the A8 toll plaza, I handed in my ticket to the person on the desk, with my credit card but the machine then recognised my tag and billed me. She gave me my credit card back and said "automatic".

Mango still have not billed me for the Spanish tolls but that is not unusual. Last time I was in Spain & Portugal, some took 3 months to come through.

I am wondering if the battery has got weak in my tag. It was bought in 2018. What have others had from the batteries?

They should last longer than that.

Mine missed a toll in France in August. I "rang" assistance and they opened the gate.
When the detail appeared in the app, the entrance/exit was correct, but they applied the car rate instead of motorbike (usual when they flag you through manually) I didn't bother trying to fix it as the difference in price wasn't massive (a couple of drinks).

I've been riding up and down between Tuscany and Rome quite a lot. Done probably 20+ toll passages just on that stretch of motorway between August and September, not an issue.
Just one on another stretch of Italian motorway, but you can pass on the side of the gate if it doesn't open and they take a picture of the plate. Got billed correctly.

As said before, I've used Telepass (same thing) for years when living back in Italy. Always money well spent, anything to avoid the queues.

Update on my Ulys tag - did 3 weeks in France in September - tag worked fine except at one entry point; I reversed and tried the adjacent one but no luck. Took ticket and paid per normal. Apart from that everything worked as advertised.

Agreed that avoiding the faff of paying through the wrong car window is worth the €2/month used fee on its own.

You can change the vehicle registration in the app, but not sure if that automatically changes the Class - car (Class 1), motorhome (Class 2) or bike (Class 5). Classes 3 and 4 are trucks I think.

Their App is in English (mostly, the Help pages auto-translate after a few seconds); the bills are in French but straightforward to understand. Direct Debit works fine.

All things considered, a good company - does what it says on the tin which is rare these days!

I'm going to purchase one of these electronic passes for our drive down through France to Italy at the end of January.

I've narrowed it down to Mango. Ulys or Telepass. Out of these, does any of them have more advantage than the other, do they all use phone apps?

How are they mounted in the car? The reason I ask is that I would also like too use it on my bike and I'm wondering whether it is easy to remove from the car and transfer to the bike?

Thanks

Ours is Sanef. It comes with a small bracket that has a 3m sticky pad on it. The actual device clips into the bracket. Seconds of a job

How are they mounted in the car? The reason I ask is that I would also like too use it on my bike and I'm wondering whether it is easy to remove from the car and transfer to the bike?

My Mango transponder comes with a small bracket that you stick onto to windscreen behind the mirror.
You can then slide the unit out of that clip and put it in your tankbag/pocket etc.

My Mango transponder comes with a small bracket that you stick onto to windscreen behind the mirror.
You can then slide the unit out of that clip and put it in your tankbag/pocket etc.

^^ This - works great.

Mango tag - I have two on my account.

I'm going to purchase one of these electronic passes for our drive down through France to Italy at the end of January.

I've narrowed it down to Mango. Ulys or Telepass. Out of these, does any of them have more advantage than the other, do they all use phone apps?

Thanks

They’re all pretty much the same, check their web sites for special offers for the best deal

I use Mango from APRR, which is changing its name to Fulli in January, mine does 4 countries and you only pay the monthly fee for the months when you actually use the tag in each country

Works perfectly for car and bike, change your reg on the website for Italy, Spain and Portugal

Just take care to place the clip tag, so that you can slide the device off, without it getting stuck on the rear view mirror support.

Or use a bit of Velcro.

Yes, the little brackets are universal for these smaller receivers (Autostrade per l'Italia uses the same form factor for their Teleapass these days).
You can also buy extra brackets on eBay (cheaper) if you need.

I ended up ordering two blippers (on the same contract) one for the car, one for the bike.

so that you can slide the device off, without it getting sti[uck on the rear view mirror support

Ahemm.....

:D :D

They’re all pretty much the same, check their web sites for special offers for the best deal

I use Mango from APRR, which is changing its name to Fulli in January, mine does 4 countries and you only pay the monthly fee for the months when you actually use the tag in each country

Works perfectly for car and bike, change your reg on the website for Italy, Spain and Portugal

I have the 3 country Mango one - France, Portugal & Spain.

Charges are as you say, except if you do not use it for a year they invoice you 10 euros. They waived the charge in 2020 but I was charged in Dec 2021 as I did not use it until May 2022 after lockdown.

I have the 3 country Mango one - France, Portugal & Spain.

Charges are as you say, except if you do not use it for a year they invoice you 10 euros. They waived the charge in 2020 but I was charged in Dec 2021 as I did not use it until May 2022 after lockdown.

Don’t know if that’s the same here but as a lot of our autoroutes are toll roads I’ve never gone a year without using mine

I have followed this thread with interest. Can someone with factual knowledge help me on a couple of queries that relate to Mango not one of the others.
The current offer is very good but a couple of questions.
1) Do you have to pay a annual charge in year 2. If so how much.
2) Do you pay for the Tag with Mango.
3) Do you have to load any funds into an account.
4) Any other hidden charges.

Thanks in advance. Great thread.
Andrew

Back
Top Bottom