Triumph Thunderbird knowledge

johnnyboy

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Going to look at '95 Thunderbird this weekend. What's the general consensus on these bikes?

Would appreciate any advice on what to look out for. TIA

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Condition is all important as they don't hold up well to not being regularly cleaned/polished. They also don't like not being run on a regular basis. Leave them parked up for a month and they can struggle to start and on that note never try starting one with a weak battery as it will eat the starter spragg and cost mucho £'s to sort out

Rev counters can become erratic and fail also check how many gears it has in the box. Five is standard (unless it's a TBS) but some owners fitted a 6th

Paint is normally good but chroming can be a bit iffy. The plain alloy motors with polished alloy casings always look smart and getting one with as many genuine Triumph accessories on it is wise as even if you don't like them there is a big market in 2nd hand parts and they do fetch big bucks . I've seen chromed radiator end caps make £200 whereas the original black ones can trade at around £25

Look after it and it'll bring you many happy miles and much joy in ownership whilst going up in value. Ignore it and it can end up being a money pit :D

Thanks for your wisdom . It does have a fair few accessories fitted. Chrome radiator end covers, K&Q seat, exhaust silencers (I think). I'll see what it looks like in the flesh.

Thanks for your wisdom . It does have a fair few accessories fitted. Chrome radiator end covers, K&Q seat, exhaust silencers (I think). I'll see what it looks like in the flesh.

Now here we go

The K&Q seat is an acquired taste. If you love it then great. If you hate it then a replacement original Triumph seat could cost you in the region of £400 for something not split/torn

If it has got TORS (Triumph Off Road System) cans fitted then fantastic. They look like the original but sound so much better :bow

Condition is all important as they don't hold up well to not being regularly cleaned/polished. They also don't like not being run on a regular basis. Leave them parked up for a month and they can struggle to start and on that note never try starting one with a weak battery as it will eat the starter spragg and cost mucho £'s to sort out

Rev counters can become erratic and fail also check how many gears it has in the box. Five is standard (unless it's a TBS) but some owners fitted a 6th

Paint is normally good but chroming can be a bit iffy. The plain alloy motors with polished alloy casings always look smart and getting one with as many genuine Triumph accessories on it is wise as even if you don't like them there is a big market in 2nd hand parts and they do fetch big bucks . I've seen chromed radiator end caps make £200 whereas the original black ones can trade at around £25

Look after it and it'll bring you many happy miles and much joy in ownership whilst going up in value. Ignore it and it can end up being a money pit :D
Is the rev counter issue down to the unit failure?

I had a TBS, loved it, agree what Paul says about them, keep the battery in full charge... run it over winter at least once a week as carbs gum up easily, TORS are fantastic on it but took me ages to find a NOS set. They have been increasing in value every year for good ones.....engine is nice and capable and they are not problematic if looked after. Wish I kept mine, was working abroad and doing about 50 miles between MOT's to and from MOT station, sold it to the MOT tester after he begged me for 2 years to sell him it
df12022478417579675d9c3cbc57b326.jpg
456f61cdf42d5e4c8f014cee403fc889.jpg

not sure if this applies to this model. bump on top of g/box = engine out to do sprag. plate on top = can be done in situ.

service history from a good shop means, the s/arm is greased every time it went in, shims done early, air filter changed (rrpita) rear wheel adjuster spun around so it doesn't seize.

ANY cam chain noise = avoid, they will chew through the bottom case, under rhs cover

a good shop will supply a shim chart. so you know what shims are in it

Thanks for all the informative replies. Unfortunately the bike I was hoping to buy has gone; the search continues

Ffs buy it! It's not much more than your budget, spend a bit more now on a nice one saves money later on!

Sent from my SM-A202F using Tapatalk

Ffs buy it! It's not much more than your budget, spend a bit more now on a nice one saves money later on!

I know you are trying to advise me but your delivery approach needs work. Maybe you could donate to improve my budget..........

TBS definitely the one to go for...... go on stretch it a bit, that's a nice one

Life's too short to fanny about, get it bought man!!

Back
Top Bottom