Chicago/Detroit area hotels

JJH

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
We were over here for a family wedding. Stayed in Super8 just down the road from O’Hare $135 for 2 rooms. Decor a bit drab. Who chooses various shades of brown? Nice place. Area a bit on the rougher side. Big sign outside pub no guns allowed. Free airport transport. Definitely not a holiday destination but fine for our 2 stays. Clean rooms friendly staff. Would stay there again. University inn in Ypsilanti near Ann Arbor near Detroit. Your old fashioned road trip motel type of place. Clean everything you need didn’t feel very secure. We put our cases against the door. We actually seen a woman having a good look in trough our window. We stayed 3 nights had booked 2 and when I went to book 3rd night had gone up by $10 per room. Breakfast was a bit funny. Lady had everything locked up. Sugar and milk was dispensed slightly grudgingly 1by 1 from a draw. We would stay there again under the same circumstances. We also stayed in the Hampton Inn in the same general location. There is more than 1 as we found out. Nice place more upmarket and about $100 per night. Definitely worth more than the €30/40 price difference. Apart from our luggage going missing landing at the wrong airport and discovering that one of our party is a raving acholic we had a good time. 2 nights in St. Joes hospital cost her health insurance $27,000. Talk about an eventful trip. Dial 911 at 5am and magically 5 sheriffs deputy’s arrive before the ambulance. Something to talk about for a while. I pithy the husband he is going to have a rough time if she doesn’t quit drinking. BAC? 535 and that was after 5 hours from last drink. JJH

We stayed at the Palmer House a couple of years ago. Old by Chicago standards - Lincoln was a frequent visitor. Very central and handy for the "el". Plenty of shops, boozers and eateries nearby. The Lakeshore was a 10 minute walk ish. (There's a free bus at weekends between the shore and the loop. If you get it, the driver is a real card!)

Only downside was our room near the lifts, er elevators, was quite noisy so try to get one a bit further away!

Our trip was very uneventful, thankfully! :D

That trip sounds somewhat eventful.

I can sympathise - we had to give up on a long term relationship, when one of my oldest biking buddies turned from enjoying his red wine, into an aggressive alcoholic - very sad for his partner, but something of a release for her when he passed several years later. I just hope she can remember the good times.

Hotels - we used the Hilton Chicago a few years back. Amazing old place, they upgraded us to a huge suite of rooms, all for £135/night IIRC. Totally OTT ........ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hilton_Chicago

That trip sounds somewhat eventful.

I can sympathise - we had to give up on a long term relationship, when one of my oldest biking buddies turned from enjoying his red wine, into an aggressive alcoholic - very sad for his partner, but something of a release for her when he passed several years later. I just hope she can remember the good times.

Hotels - we used the Hilton Chicago a few years back. Amazing old place, they upgraded us to a huge suite of rooms, all for £135/night IIRC. Totally OTT ........ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hilton_Chicago
It’s not only that she is an alike it’s the fucking lies that you are asked to back up. Load of bollocks. Family? Who would have them. JJH

Back
Top Bottom