BMW 4 Button Cradle Power Supply

developer

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Recently I bought a gen BMW 4 button NAV cradle from this parish to be able to move my NAV6 from the GS to my Honda.

It came with a fused link and live and neutral leads to connect direct to the Honda's 12V battery terminals (I know other connection methods are available)

I've made a suitable mount on the Honda to take the cradle - all good - however, in this week's MCN there's mention of someone connecting their nav (not named as a NAV6) to a 12V supply and that the unit was "fried" because it was designed to operate on a 5V supply.

So, is it ok to connect the cradle to a 12V supply and if the NAV operates at 5V then is it the cradle or the NAV itself that downrates the 12V to 5V?

USB's are 5V so when you plug in the NAV to your PC it's operating at 5V, so presumably that's the voltage they need, not 12V.

My Zumo 660 and Nav 6 are both used or have been in a 4 button mount on my f800gsa, TDM900 and KTM 1090 and they were all using a 12 v supply.

The other Zumo's ie the ones that have a black power box like the 346/396 etc are all 5v, although not sure about the XT

My Zumo 660 and Nav 6 are both used or have been in a 4 button mount on my f800gsa, TDM900 and KTM 1090 and they were all using a 12 v supply.

The other Zumo's ie the ones that have a black power box like the 346/396 etc are all 5v, although not sure about the XT

XT is 5V, I’ve just bought a bike mount and it has a black box voltage dropper in-line.

The various Garmin navs all work at 5v DC. If you have a Nav IV,V,VI or 660 Garmin/BMW mount within the cradle, then it will step the 12v input down.

Just check the output with a meter if you want to be certain.

However, take care if you also use the Garmin car mount alongside; this relies on a transformer plug.

Just double checking and zumo 660 and Nav 6 have a 3.8v lion battery so the units themselves must have a power converter built in , below is the pin wiring for a 660 mount and it appears to suplly full vehice voltage

Attachments

• 0ecdb948827a5589668efe1098958d50.jpg
    0ecdb948827a5589668efe1098958d50.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 185
Just double checking and zumo 660 and Nav 6 have a 3.8v lion battery so the units themselves must have a power converter built in , below is the pin wiring for a 660 mount and it appears to suplly full vehice voltage

Interesting - the manual on mine is extraordinarily vague & just talks of vehicle DC supply, or AC with a convertor. I always understood the units ran, like a PC, at 5v DC stepped down by the mount. Seems I'm wrong - apologies OP.

Back
Top Bottom