when do the midges arrive?

Monsieur

Most respected and loved member
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Booking the Caledonian Express to Inverness, hiring a car, booking a snug cottage somewhere wild and hopefully staying midge-free for the duration.
Any midge experts here who can guesstimate when the blighters swarm up there?

Also, any knowledge of a great little place to stay?
Not been north of the wall since 1979 when I broke my ankle in Glenshee

The midges do go away for a part of the year, but those Scottish folk are there all year round, so better to head south :okay

Oh they do love poncy English Tories.

Man up you fanny.

Far too manly to be poncy and haven't voted tory since Mrs T was with us.
Decision made...no taxis whilst we're up there, do they do uber up north?

May(ish) to September(ish).
They come out earlier than May to mate, but don’t generally bite.

Buy some Smidge and forget about them.

I suggest you ignore this comment, they'll still have you regardless of what you cover yourself in.

Anyway......they can be there one day gone the next and then back the following day, so you pays your money you takes your chances but before I've always found that after 8am and before 6pm never to be a problem.

Avon Skin so Soft (original version) kept the hard-core Russian midges and mozzies away from me when I was in Siberia.
It worked while other folk got munched despite using Russian army stuff...which probably did them more harm than the bites did anyway.

For some reason only the original Skin so Soft is totally effective.

West coast tends to be worse for them due to the geology: https://www.highlandtitles.com/blog/midges/

If it's frosty or windy then the little beggars don't seem to come out to play much. So I my guess at when best to come up here to avoid them is between late September and late May, though you may not get away with it in some sheltered spots, eg Kinlochewe in September as I've found out. Even better, bring up someone who they like more than you :green gri

As mentioned, you'll normally be fine up to the end of May.

As for somewhere to stay, you need to narrow that down a bit. Mountains, coast, loch, fishing, sea, pub nearby, isolated and peaceful, etc.

Back
Top Bottom