Not powering up

Status
Not open for further replies.

rovert57

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi folks
Bought a new zumo xt a couple of months ago , but not used it , so today out in the mount but all it does is get as far as the garmin logo and then switch off , the mount is the one it came with and is connected directly to the battery so should be live all the time . Any idea’s what might be wrong

Can you take it inside, power it with a mini USB into the connector in the back and see if it powers up then? That will at least tell you if it is an issue with your mount not providing power.

On the mount itself, did you push the power connector through from the back and then secure it with the really tiny screw that is super easy to drop and lose? If not, then it may not be getting power from the mount.

Wired up the mount using the screws provided have plugged it in to a usb indoors so will have to wait .did have a problem when first got it as would not power up and had to wait before using it for the initial updates ,will wait and see , thought that with the mount being live it would spring to life automatically .might have to borrow a multimeter to check the two brass connectors if nothing happens.
Thanks for the reply

if the battery has gone very flat then you will need to charge it up a bit before it will have enough current available to cope with the demands of the booting up cycle. From the symptoms, I imagine there is enough power from the cradle to get the Zumo's CPU working but when it tries to initialise the screen there is a reliance on the battery reserves to cope with the inrush current. With no battery power available, the device crashes.

Tried the unit in the car with the cigarette power adapter and it fired up instantly. Thing is that I tried the unit using the usb lead from a powered usb on the bike but still wouldn’t go beyond the initial logo . Will try and see if there is power to the garmin mount .
Thanks for the suggestions .

leave it connected on charge using the car cigarette power adapter and the car battery until its fully charged then connect to the mount and try it.

Or plugged into the mains, via any suitable USB charging lead.

PS The four button mount on one of my bikes failed, because the pins got stuck. Some contact cleaner solved the issue. Check the fuse as well.

Don’t think I saw an in-line fuse just the 2 x1 inch box in the lead which I think is sealed

Don’t think I saw an in-line fuse just the 2 x1 inch box in the lead which I think is sealed

There is only an inline fuse in the automotive lead, at the cigarette plug end. Best to leave it on charge on the mains lead for a few hours to see how you get on. Remember, it has a 2 year warranty with Garmin.

I charged it up partially in the car but when I put on the cradle there was no indication that it was charging from said cradle ,will have to check the connection to the battery ,I have several items hooked up to the battery terminals.

I charged it up partially in the car but when I put on the cradle there was no indication that it was charging from said cradle ,will have to check the connection to the battery ,I have several items hooked up to the battery terminals.

the cradle should be powered from a switched live - if you leave it connected to the the bike battery 24/7 then the cradle will stay live and could drain the bike's battery.

When not in use the bike is on an optimate . Never had a problem so far .

make sure you have the polarity the correct way around on your connections, or if using an adaptor like a bmw one make sure your centre tip is correct polarity.

Wired up the mount using the screws provided

Did you use the really tiny one? It's only about 5mm long by 1.5mm across and is very easy to miss. It you haven't used that one, then the power connector may not make proper contact with the XT itself.

IIRC, the end of the lead with the XT power connector goes through the back of the square mount block and then you sort of pull it back into position and use the tiny screw to fix it hard up against the back of the plastic mount block. Even a millimetre or two of slack here could make it lose contact.

Yes followed the instructions same as the 396 I had before but will check

Have you resolved this problem? If so, how?
I am very interested to know how this turned out? I had the same problem today after installing mine. Garmin now plugged into to electricity to charge fully before I try again

I am very interested to know how this turned out? I had the same problem today after installing mine. Garmin now plugged into to electricity to charge fully before I try again

Ping the fellow a pm, asking that he tells the world. It’s only fair, as he came seeking help.

Okay
Apologies for not closing the thread on this ,l took the lead to work and had it tested as I thought my soldering might be the problem but all was ok ,I then clamped the leads to a 12 v battery and the unit powered up ,so it seems that it was just the connection to my bike battery was the culprit .as I have four different items wired up to the terminals and there must have been something causing the garmin lead eyelets to not sit properly ,I reconnected they leads making sure all were seated well and cleaned all the terminals and all was good .
As usual I always suspect the worse case senareo .
So just check the leads are all seated properly .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom