My PC won’t recognise my Nav V

Rustle

Reaction score
I can't get the laptop (HP Elitebook, Windows 10) to talk to the Nav 5 - or is it vice versa? Says that it's not connected. The satnav is charging from the laptop but, having tried switching on an off while connected, re-connecting, tried 2 different cables, both of the available USB sockets, it insists it is still not connected. I've had this problem before but fiddling around usually sorts it. Incidentally this laptop doesn't recognise my, admittedly old, iPod whereas previous ones did. Probably nowt to do with it.

Edit:

Fresh post and thread created, so as not to detract from an original post and thread on straight lines on a route.
Richard

Last edited by a moderator:
….Regarding my current issue getting the laptop to talk to the Nav, my IT department in Belgium weren't much help - possible cable problem, possible settings problem. I suspect the attitude was probably driven by an incompatible "work laptop"/"personal satnav" interface! (This is my pathetic attempt to speak the language of the IT person.) A colleague mentioned that perhaps the satnav driver had disappeared and then was no help with an explanation nor a practical solution. (?)

Slight update in that I've started research on buying my own laptop so I have autonomous control over things. For a computing numpty it's bewildering initially. One IT expert in a large store (I'll probably buy from a small, local, recommended, more helpful shop?) mentioned that Apple devices eg iPads might not recognise a Garmin satnav and, especially, he doubted that updates of maps would be successful. I'm erring on an 8GB, 256MB Windows laptop currently and I'll need to be convinced that the Garmin satnav will be recognised each and every time. Heck, maybe my ancient iPod might connect too! Meanwhile I have no means of working between Basecamp and the Nav 5. What a pain!

Surely the first suspect has to be the lead. Are you using a genuine Garmin lead or some random other from Poundland that probably only has the power connection?

Then, in 'My Computer', what devices can your computer see? - should be the SatNav & it's SDHC memory card.

Lead and USB port play a big part in if my windows 10 laptop sees my Nav V. I tend to get best results from using my old Blackberry micro USB lead and the fwd USB port on the left side of my laptop. This port is a higher spec than the other two. I think it is 3.0.

I’d agree with the above. I have experienced exactly the same problem. Plug it in, un plug it again, turn it off and back on again repeatedly etc etc to no avail.
For me, once I found and used the original Garmin lead that came with the Nav unit, problem solved.

I've used the original lead, a spare lead, different USBs on the PC. I have managed to successfully connect each time or once in a while or only after much plugging/unplugging or not at all for a few days then randomly it connects. It might be more complicated than a toaster or a CD player or a power drill or a 'phone charger but it is still ridiculous that so many people have so much bother. :blast

Plugging it in and out, makes no difference. For all you know, you unplugged it just as it was about to make a connection.

Plug it in and leave it.

its to do with the USB 3 ports and drivers in windows 10 IIRC.

best thing to do is buy a usb 2 hub and connect through that.

you could also switch the modes around on the NAV from MTP etc. Windows sometimes doesnt play nice with those devices.

You can also try booting the laptop with the device connected.

It can take up to 60 seconds to connect normally.

I've just gone through all the performance of trying all my USB leads, turning things on and off again, setting the Nav V aa mass storage device, etc., without success.
Then, I just left the Nav V connected to the USB on the computer and left it alone. To my surprise, after 10 minutes, Garmin Express popped up because the USB connected had finally been made ! (EDIT: I shouldn't have been surprised, as Wapping had said exactly to do this above).
Only then I remembered the same happened a year ago, too, when I last tried to update the maps :-/

So maybe the answer to these connection problems is simply... patience!

Back
Top Bottom