F650GS 2008 issue

FreddyBE

Reaction score
Hello

First time to write but I have been reading for some time and introduced myself in an other thread. As said I am an owner of a faithful F650GS that brought me already in Romania, Greece, Montenegro, Albania, Gibraltar, Portugal, Spain, Italy etc ... Always with the tent and sometimes alone.

Unfortunately not everything stays good forever, in the youtube link below there is a strange problem which I've been having for a while but can't seem to fix. It's actually only when idling that the cooling water goes from 0 bars to completely full. When driving it is nicely in half. I recently had my coils and battery replaced for another problem and it seems to be slightly better but it's definitely not gone.
If anyone has any ideas, very welcome! Thanks in advance !

Also the sensor cooling water, that golden thing on the block has already been replaced.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOi9ood1kW8

If the coolant temperature sensor has been replaced, then I'm thinking either you have some air in the coolant system fooling with the sensor, the thermostat is sticking or the coolant pump is failing. You don't tell us how quickly the gauge moves from normal into flashing the overheating warning when stationary.

- Check the radiator cap seal is good - a poor cap seal can allow air to be drawn into the system as a hot engine cools down, rather than coolant from the expansion tank.

- Check the hose clips on the right side, between the cylinder head & radiator are positioned correctly & tight - any white spots provide witness of a leak.

- Thermostat - Remove & check it opens correctly.

- Coolant pump - difficult to check without disassembling the pump. Could be the impellor breaking up, usually witnessed by small blade pieces stuck around the thermostat area.

- I wonder when the coolant was last changed?

Hi Squibb!

Thanks for your answer.

"how quickly the gauge moves from normal into flashing the overheating warning when stationary."
-> It depends, usually it is very fast .. in the first seconds after putting in neutral. Sometimes even at a red light. Sometimes (less often) it happens after a few minutes.

"Thermostat - Remove & check it opens correctly. "
-> I have a new one from BMW but I failed to replace... could get the clip out but did not managed to get the thermostat out.

"coolant changed" ... No clue if they ever changed that ...

Best

Frederik

Frederik , may I suggest you take the thermostat back to the BMW garage and ask them to fit it. Normally the temp indicator comes up slowly even when the ambient is warm. I can hear your fan running so the bike thinks its hot, it maybe hot. It needs looking at professionally to avoid any potential engine damage.

Steve

Back
Top Bottom