Map update

js46

Stew
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hello,
Can anyone offer any advice regarding the problem I am having updating my Zumo 660.

I have three other Garmin Sat Nav's which are fine ie no problems updating with Garmin Express. The Zumo 660 is recognised by Garmin Express and the map update commences, however, towards the end of the update a message appears that there is a problem updating the maps. I have had contact with Garmin and have carried out all the suggestions offered but still the problem persists. Whilst the Zumo is getting in years and has not been in regular use it still function as it should.

Anyone had this issue?
Thanks.

Is the memory full which may be preventing the download/install?

Have you tried formatting the memory card (HDHC max 32 Gb), FAT32 & then starting over ? If there is any doubt about the card, buy a good quality new one, not a cheap knock-off.

Give it plenty of time & make sure you are connecting with a genuine Garmin lead - some cheap leads are only intended for charging.

Hello,
Can anyone offer any advice regarding the problem I am having updating my Zumo 660.

I have three other Garmin Sat Nav's which are fine ie no problems updating with Garmin Express. The Zumo 660 is recognised by Garmin Express and the map update commences, however, towards the end of the update a message appears that there is a problem updating the maps. I have had contact with Garmin and have carried out all the suggestions offered but still the problem persists. Whilst the Zumo is getting in years and has not been in regular use it still function as it should.

Anyone had this issue?
Thanks.

See: https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/557359-Updating-Garmin-660-with-new-version-2021-20

It seems that the 660 can no longer take a full set of European maps, no matter whether it has a memory card or not.

I’d suggest you just add the maps you actually need. For example, Finland, if you plan on going to Helsinki or Portugal, if you are off to Lisbon.

Thanks for the replies.
Have already tried and taken the steps suggested but the issue still not resolved.

The biggest problem with the 550 and possibly the 660 is lack of memory. Delete unnecessary stuff like the different voices.

Free up as much as you can.

tom

A lot of info to absorb!! Definitely beyond my meagre technical know how. If I am making the correct interpretation of what is being said; the map update is possible if you have the necessary knowledge?
This is looking like my Zumo 660 is now to be retired permanently😀

You can still download the map areas you need.

Most bods don’t need more than every Tesco site in….. um….. a 25 mile radius.

The simple answer to this is to just download the maps to your pc or mac only, and when done use map install or basecamp to send the parts of the map set you want to your sd card, make sure the progress bar in either map install or bascamp stays in the green as you pick the parts of the mapset you require, going above the 4gb limit of file size will not work.

Thanks for the info. My next task is to work out how to follow your advice…it’s all a one big learning curve for me!😀
It’s good to know the Zumo need not be retired.

From memory, the 660 / BaseCamp will automatically (it’s in the options, or pops-up as an option) import just the maps around a route. That should be sufficient for most things. Give it a go, you can’t break it.

Thanks for your time in letting me know how to proceed. Will give it a try!

Map Up date

Hello,
The saga continues; I have been able to transfer a route from Base Camp to the Zumo 660 and it appears to have been successful, however, there is no map on the screen. When looking at the route in Pre-view the route is displayed on the screen with a map. Press GO and the screen is void of a map but other information is recorded. I may be flogging a dead horse here and perhaps should just "retire" the Zumo, but is there anything else worth trying?
Thanks for looking.

ps I should have mentioned that there is no map recreated on the screen from the Map function.

Just updated my 660 maps tonight using garmin express. Could only download uk and Ireland due to memory limits but all seemed to go well.

That’s what people with the 660 will have to do from now on, download just the map sections they need.

Back
Top Bottom