Nav V playing up

Status
Not open for further replies.

scooter paul

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I’ve tried searching on here but have resorted to a direct plea for help!
My up to now trusty Nav V has always been updated for maps and software.
Never dropped or abused.
I’ve not used it since last year.
Got it out to find a route yesterday and I couldn’t enter a destination either by town or post code.
The lettered/numbered buttons don’t illuminate to type in the destination.
Battery has charge.
Up to now it’s been everything I need and I really don’t want to upgrade .
I’ve tried resets. Still the same.
Help please.

I’d start by putting a fresh, brand new SD card in (16GB) will do, sourced from a decent manufacturer, like SanDisk, not some shonky piece of junk.

Then I’d update the maps fully.

I’d also update the firm / software.

Then I’d try again.

That though might not fix the lack of illumination to the buttons, but it’s an easy one to start with.

Report back, please.

I’d start by putting a fresh, brand new SD card in (16GB) will do, sourced from a decent manufacturer, like SanDisk, not some shonky piece of junk.

Then I’d update the maps fully.

I’d also update the firm / software.

Then I’d try again.

That though might not fix the lack of illumination to the buttons, but it’s an easy one to start with.

Report back, please.
Thanks for the input. All of the above has been done this morning. Still no joy.

Thanks for the input. All of the above has been done this morning. Still no joy.

A German guy in Norway came to me with a similar problem ...

I switched it off, took the battery out and left it ten minutes ...

Put the battery back in and everything worked fine ... he gave me a few biers :D

:beerjug:

A German guy in Norway came to me with a similar problem ...

I switched it off, took the battery out and left it ten minutes ...

Put the battery back in and everything worked fine ... he gave me a few biers :D

:beerjug:
Worth a try but unfortunately it didn’t work. It’s a bit weird on some functions the keyboard illuminates but not on the key ones, place names and post codes.

It is not clear from your posts whether the problem is:

A. Electrical / screen orientated ie. the touch screen ‘buttons’ are greyed out / not functioning, due to an internal electrical fault

B. Whether they are greyed out / not functioning, because the map on which they maybe rely is not active.

I am half betting on B. Why I don’t know, as I cannot remember if an inactive map even manifests itself this way.

Please ensure:

1. That all the detailed maps are installed and active on the device.

2. That you can zoom in anywhere from Helsinki to Gibraltar, Berlin to Dublin and see the intimate fine detail.

3. That the maps are Garmin’s own, not some other version or other make you have installed off the internet.

That at least will give us a simple point to start from.

Look forward to hearing from you.

It is not clear from your posts whether the problem is:

A. Electrical / screen orientated ie. the touch screen ‘buttons’ are greyed out / not functioning, due to an internal electrical fault

B. Whether they are greyed out / not functioning, because the map on which they maybe rely is not active.

I am half betting on B. Why I don’t know, as I cannot remember if an inactive map even manifests itself this way.

Please ensure:

1. That all the detailed maps are installed and active on the device.

2. That you can zoom in anywhere from Helsinki to Gibraltar, Berlin to Dublin and see the intimate fine detail.

3. That the maps are Garmin’s own, not some other version or other make you have installed off the internet.

That at least will give us a simple point to start from.

Look forward to hearing from you.
Everything points to a). None of b) applies other than , when outside with satellites acquired, my position is not exact, seems off course by several hundred metres.
I’m thinking it’s time to bite the bullet and buy a new one!

A it is then.

My Nav IV developed a similar problem ie. the cursor being unable to place itself correctly on a road. A problem that was only mended when I obtained a free or at least very cheap (those were the days) replacement from Garmin.

If the hard reset doesn’t do it and taking the battery out doesn’t do it, it’s hard to imagine what might. I’d suggest you try one of the repair agents (see the sticky) and get their opinion. If a reconditioned unit is about the same cost as a repair, then it’s a toss-up. I guess I’d go for the reconditioned unit or just bite the bullet and go for an XT, or another V / VI if you use the whirlywheel thing.

I’m leaning to buying a new one. I need the reliability. I hate throwing away stuff especially as it was working perfectly last time I used it. As it’s got all the original boxes, tools etc I might ask a few quid for it ‘spares or repairs’
Is the Zumo XT a direct fit into the charging cradle? I don’t need the bike interface facility.

No.

The XT has a mount that is very different from the Nav V / Nav VI.

Before to pull the trigger on a new device, I’d suggest you contact the repair people in the sticky, to gauge their opinion.

No.

The XT has a mount that is very different from the Nav V / Nav VI.

Before to pull the trigger on a new device, I’d suggest you contact the repair people in the sticky, to gauge their opinion.
Garmin support were very helpful but their suggestion of reinstalling maps didn’t worked so I opted for an exchange unit at £82 postage paid.
As I’m happy with the Nav v this doesn’t seem a bad deal at all.
Thanks Wapping and others for your suggestions and help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom