No back brake

mrjim130

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I had excessive travel on the bake brake lever, on investigation the back brake was not working. I tried bleeding the brake, but could only get a dribble of fluid from the bleed nipple. I stripped the master cylinder and the seals looked a bit suspect, so fitted a new master cylinder. Despite fitting the new cylinder, I still can only get a dribble of fluid out of the bleed nipple.
I really don't know what to do next, so any suggestions please.

It’s not a simple as you think due to the linked brakes and the ABS, etc.
It uses a computer to control it all

Not sure how closely related the latest ABS system is to the hexheads' version, but when I stripped my brakes to sort the ABS, the front bled fine from the caliper, but the rear had to be bled from the ABS unit by loosening the banjo in the same way you loosen, the re-tighten, the bleed nipples, before repeating the process at the calipers.
Might be worth a go?

I think this is quite common with the LC models. My R1250GS has suffered this twice in 18000 miles, fixed by the dealer both times. Bleeding the combined braking system apparently cures the problem (until it happens again) but apparently the operation has to be done by the dealer, or with a GS911 tool. The GS911 manual gives instructions on how to do it. Thus is just a note to pass on my experience of the fault. I'm certain someone on here will be able to provide better information about the problem and the fix.

Update.
Brake now working, Probably a lot easier with GS-911, but managed to wake-up the ABS system with MotoScan. Got quite a lot of air out of the back brake line. Now have a good pedal with reasonable travel. Happy days.

It's good to know the MotoScan does the job as well. It's a pity that the problem appears at all.

I have suffered from rear brake problems since I bought the bike (20 plate 1250GSA) . Rear brake pedal always had excessive travel . When the pedal went full travel with no braking whatsoever I had it recovered to Vines . They reconn'd it just needed bleeding and the problem was I wasn't using the rear brake enough ! 3 weeks later , 12,000 mile sevice , they said the brakes needed bleeding again and tried to stuff me £18 + vat to do it ! After a terse conversation they rebled the system using the ABS pump and it was somewhat better . Few weeks ago , 18,000 service and the rear brake spongey as f*ck again and another terse discussion about why the system keeps filling with air and no sensible cause was offered . Eventually they came up with the attached service note which supposedly addresses and provides a solution to the problem . They did not of course apply this solution to my bike as makes the procedure into a 2 day operation . The rear brake of course is now back to its effing sponginess ! I shall shortly contact Vines to apply the service note solution and see what happens next , whether it is a permanent or temporary fix .

Attachments

• img009.jpg
    img009.jpg
    237.8 KB · Views: 675
I had excessive travel on the bake brake lever, on investigation the back brake was not working. I tried bleeding the brake, but could only get a dribble of fluid from the bleed nipple. I stripped the master cylinder and the seals looked a bit suspect, so fitted a new master cylinder. Despite fitting the new cylinder, I still can only get a dribble of fluid out of the bleed nipple.
I really don't know what to do next, so any suggestions please.

Had the same issue fixed two times for free / warranty. Last time told by the dealer to use the rear brake every day, that the linked brakes are slightly quirky this way. After this, no problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had the same issue fixed two times for free / warranty. Last time told by the dealer to use the rear brake every day, that the linked brakes are slightly quirky this way. After this, no problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's funny how this only happens on some GSs. It happened on both my mine. And some of my chums. But not on my 1200R. There is NO hydraulic link between front and rear. The only link is via computer and the ABS pump. Hydraulically the front and rear are separate.

I am bleeding the fluids in the front and rear today, from various posts on here I don't need a GS-911/ MotoScan to do the task. I do have excessive travel on my rear and wondering how you 'woke up the ABS' @mrjim130?

On opening the rear master cylinder and removing the 'rubber' insert there is fluid in it, I am presuming the previous owner tried to top up the fluid not realising there was a insert.

Is my research correct on there's no need for the MotorScan?

It happened on my 1200 but so far so good on the 1250. It's in for a service tomorrow, which includes replacing the brake fluid in both front and rear systems. Here we go then.

I now have a strong rear brake :thumby: simple brake bleed was all it took

Back
Top Bottom