Fjallraven kit and Greenland wax

Northern jock

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
There is another thread about Fjallraven but I thought it worth highlighting the wax options.

Their G1000 fabric needs waxed occasionally, using Greenland wax which costs around £9 for an 80gm block. You apply the wax then melt it into the fabric with a hair dryer or cool iron. The more wax the more wind and water resistant it becomes. But, you also can choose to, e.g., wax the front more as it gets the wind and rain and leave the back to breathe better.

The wax is a simple blend of paraffin wax and beeswax, approximately 90/10. I bought a kilo of paraffin and 100gm of beeswax for about £10, mixed 90/10 in a plastic box, put the box in a water bath, melted it, let it cool and a very cheap block of wax popped out. More yellow than the Greenland stuff but that's just the beeswax I had. Easy, cheap and it works.

Even the Scandinavians do it.

https://www.shelbyoutdoor.com/?cPat...h parafin and beeswax are,in a hot water bath.

Attachments

• 20220313_083835.jpg
    20220313_083835.jpg
    247.5 KB · Views: 335
Very good. I suppose the wax could be used on any poly-cotton fabric to add a degree of proofing.

I have 2 shirts and a zip up jacket made of G1000.
I still have an unopened box of wax in the drawer, that just never got applied.
I guess in the 21st Century, it is easier to throw a very lightweight waterproof jacket over the top, than be bothered with a greasy mess.

I like Fjallraven, but find G1000 fabric cold in the winter, and too hot in the summer. A windy March day, like today, is where it is happiest for me!

They love to play the Nordic fiddle, and my shirts have a subtle little Swedish flag sewn in.
But the reality is a big office block in Sweden, with everything outsourced to China.

I would never buy a Fjallraven tent, as there is no backup once it leaves the Chinese Sub Contractor.
And the Chinese are now starting to market their tents under their own brand names successfully.

I'm not saying it's a good thing or that I like it. But companies like Arcteryx, Harkila and Fjallraven, who all market their products on their humble beginnings, got fat, lazy and just too greedy.

Very good. I suppose the wax could be used on any poly-cotton fabric to add a degree of proofing.

Yup, or even just cotton. I've got an old canvas smock that has benefited from some wax. It doesn't look waxy or oily but works.

Using my smock where it was intended for, Arctic winters and it’s very good at its job. I’ve waxed the chest, hood and front of the sleeves so snow falls off and it’s windproof. The back I’ve left unwaxed so it breathes better.

Attachments

• 1004BCED-ECE0-471D-869C-32856335549F.jpeg
    1004BCED-ECE0-471D-869C-32856335549F.jpeg
    99.1 KB · Views: 140
Great stuff. I have loads of G1000 products. The original ones are amazing. I see they manufacture everywhere now they're grown so much!

Good pic, NorthernJock :)

Back
Top Bottom