Reluctant starter

Whilst replacing the carbon brushes in the starter on my bike seemed to cure the problem for a few weeks I now have the "Will I - won't I" pause again on start up. Even when hot! So it's finally new starter time. I find that the range of prices is ridiculous though. On Ebay you can see them from £45 to almost £200 - and I don't recognise a makers name on any of them! I have found a local Auto electrician - in Preston, who advertises on EBay for BMW starters. At least if I know where it came from I can doorstep them if it fails... Trouble is, he wants a part number to give me a price. Is there a way to find what the part number is of my starter without taking the thing off the bike?

Based on a 06/12 MY

its a Bosch unit

Starter
BOSCH

However i believe there were two types fitted

Bosch or Valeo

The Valeo had the higher output etc if i recall

However i cant see the valeo unit listed any more

After all the investigations and theorising I finally went and bought a new starter. The local guys I found were West Lancs Auto Electrics (sales@westlancsautoelectrics) who charged me £107 for my starter, freepost next day delivery and 18 month warranty. Got it fitted and it is wizzing the motor round like a squirt of nitrous!

Thanks for all of your inputs and assistance.

Mine is a 2011 and it’s always been a lazy starter but it always starts. I use the bike to commute so I know it’s full charge…I no longer worry about it

Back
Top Bottom