PHONE CAMERA ISSUE ANDROID

Pablo1

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
My wife and I both have same phone Samsung Galaxy A12, she has a problem and I dont, the issue has emerged recently where some videos and photos she has taken are greyed out when viewed in the gallery app.
The storage location is set to the Micro SD card, if anyone has any knowledge of this issue would appreciate your advice.

Ive googled the issue and it seems quite common in Android with various theories, most common is a corrupt SD card, so Im going to replace that hopefully today, Ive set out my plan below Id appreciate if theres a quicker or better way to get uncorrupted images and videos from old card to new, I have a windows 11 PC.

1. Remove OLD sd card from phone, using a card reader in USB slot copy all content from DCIM/Camera file on SD card to a NEW FOLDER on PC.
2. Format NEW sd card IN THE PHONE.
3. Remove NEW SD card from phone and connect to PC with card reader in USB slot.
4. Copy all the content from the NEW FOLDER created on PC to the DCIM/Camera folder on NEW SD Card. (Im assuming when I format the card on the phone it will set up all the folders on the new SD card ?)

Appreciate any help, she has about 6000 images/videos btw so Im hoping a quicker method exists without transferring any corruption to the new card.
Cheers

IIRC this is a common issue when images have been backing up automatically to google photo. Somehow it corrupts what has been saved to the SD card.

Can she open the greyed out image from gallery, even if it remains grey, or has in got a tick against it? If it will open, just email it to a PC & see what you've got, as there isn't much point in downloading a whole card of corrupt data.

Have you checked what, if anything, has been saved in the cloud?

IIRC this is a common issue when images have been backing up automatically to google photo. Somehow it corrupts what has been saved to the SD card.

Can she open the greyed out image from gallery, even if it remains grey, or has in got a tick against it? If it will open, just email it to a PC & see what you've got, as there isn't much point in downloading a whole card of corrupt data.

Have you checked what, if anything, has been saved in the cloud?

nothing is set to back up anywhere, in google back up photos are marked off.

My experience would suggest corrupt/failing SD Card too. Even Samsung cards have failed on my Galaxy S7 and S10. I've re-formatted but eventually I just fit a new one.

Auto-backup to Google Photos is now limited to 15GB but well worth doing - just what to you need to recover in cases like this if the SD fails completely. You can set it to do via WiFi only or Wifi and Mobile data. If you are a BT internet or Microsoft 365 user, you get free cloud via those. (TIP - Microsoft 365 Family can be bought for £55/year from Amazon - 1TB per user, 6 users.)

Your renew process looks OK - the new DCIM folder is set-up automatically. As Squibb34 says, check you're not transferring junk first though!

My experience would suggest corrupt/failing SD Card too. Even Samsung cards have failed on my Galaxy S7 and S10. I've re-formatted but eventually I just fit a new one.

Auto-backup to Google Photos is now limited to 15GB but well worth doing - just what to you need to recover in cases like this if the SD fails completely. You can set it to do via WiFi only or Wifi and Mobile data. If you are a BT internet or Microsoft 365 user, you get free cloud via those. (TIP - Microsoft 365 Family can be bought for £55/year from Amazon - 1TB per user, 6 users.)

Your renew process looks OK - the new DCIM folder is set-up automatically. As Squibb34 says, check you're not transferring junk first though!

Cheers thanks for that, when I formatted a spare card I had on the phone it did not set up a DCIM folder I had to add this myself. Some of her photos she took in the last few days when transferred to PC could not be viewed, file type unsupported, couldnt see anything wrong with the registry of these but Ive deleted anyway, just waiting on new card now.

6000+ images, nothing backed up ............ seriously?????

My SiL got into this scenario a while back - the outcome was a tad painful, but a lesson learned.

Have backed it up now to my own PC, going to have a look at H2 set up cloud as I have BT internet, will have to find an idiots guide first :blast

Back
Top Bottom