Which version R1200RT

colin72blue

Reaction score
Test rode a 2014 R1200RT recently and was quite impressed by it so now considering getting one as part of my bike reshuffle. Also looking at a super naked of some sort so the second bike will be purely for longer rides, occasional trips away and general duties.

My budget is approx £8k and the water cooled versions seem to be quite high mileage and low spec at this price so now wondering if the older models are as good and if so which ones to look at or avoid? Is there a large difference between handling or power between the early 1200’s, later twin cams and WC? Had an 1150GSA and as nice as they were i found them underpowered and a bit agricultural compared to my friends R1200GS (2016 model)

Don't need too many extras other than cruise control but do like quick shifters so also wondering if i up the budget to £9k and get a later 2015 model with quick shift etc?

Sign up to 1200rt.com that is a Europe based RT forum, loads of knowledgeable owners on there. A lot run the older pre LC models

I suggest you have a look at this one. It would be hard to find better at that price and, as Casbar says, many actually prefer the "last of the oilheads".

I suggest you have a look at this one. It would be hard to find better at that price and, as Casbar says, many actually prefer the "last of the oilheads".

Like the look of that. How do they ride compared to the later 1200? Is power and handling a world apart or just a slight upgrade?

Have a trip to Scotland coming up so something that will swallow up the boredom of London to Edinburgh then fun to ride north of that would be good. I am also considering K1600’s

Like the look of that. How do they ride compared to the later 1200? Is power and handling a world apart or just a slight upgrade?

Have a trip to Scotland coming up so something that will swallow up the boredom of London to Edinburgh then fun to ride north of that would be good. I am also considering K1600’s

I have exactly the same year 1200RT SE. I've put 35k miles on it and it's been superb. If it's a mile munching tourer you want, you'll not find better. The WC models feel slightly sportier and appear to have a slightly lower CofG but there's very little in it imho. Some like the extra power and different power modes of the WC but the earlier ones also had some issues due to BMWs habit of letting the customer do the final development on new models. My RT has let me down only once, on the first weekend when the fuel pump controller went phut! Fixed under warranty and not a peep since. The oilhead RT can hustle on A roads as well as cruise on motorways.

The bike above represents a very good deal. The more so considering the extras.

Owned both and a 1200 and now a 1250. There is nothing wrong at all with the 2013 model, last before the LCs. But they do feel heavy compared to the LC models and as stated the LC feels a lot sportier. There should be nothing wrong with an LC, early foibles will have been sorted. But some 2014 bikes and early 2015 bikes did have issues with the Alternator stator, which is an engine out job, so expensive and takes time. We have a late 2014 bike that alternator went and it cost us in excess of 2k to repair (that was discounted). All LC bikes have the dreaded flap sticking issue, even the latest 1250s, so read up on exhaust flap sticking. K1600s also a great bike but heavier and has its own foibles and issues, some have cooling problems. But I would quite happily own that 2013 bike, looks great value and will do everything you want and more.

Pan European

527a7ae872b86aac12b4015087a25ff1.jpg

Friend of mine has one and loves it as a general workhorse but says its really dull to ride. Think i need something with a bit of interest to it like the boxer noise and handling or 6 cylinder K1600 noise etc

Pan European

527a7ae872b86aac12b4015087a25ff1.jpg

I’ve had K1600, R1200RT, R1250RT as well as the GSA’s.

What’s in my garage? That Pan European.

(Oh and a half finished airhead adv)

Once the suspension is sorted (it was a bit under sprung and over damped for me, so a bit harsh), it goes as well as anything I need, but we’re all different thankfully!

Perhaps i should pop round and try his. He’s had a couple of them to be fair

I test rode a K16 and RT a few weeks ago and they had a few Pans at the dealer but they felt heavy just moving them off the side stand to upright.

I’ve had K1600, R1200RT, R1250RT as well as the GSA’s.

What’s in my garage? That Pan European.

(Oh and a half finished airhead adv)

Once the suspension is sorted (it was a bit under sprung and over damped for me, so a bit harsh), it goes as well as anything I need, but we’re all different thankfully!

That didnt hang around long!

Did make some enquiries yesterday on it but wasn't quick enough. Found a low mileage one not too far from me i may look at at the weekend

I’ve had a couple of the twin cams and the WC bikes. I honestly prefer the tc model, I think the engine is superb, probably the best boxer motor ever, ultra reliable with that boxer character which I guess is why I still have one in the garage!

Don’t get me wrong, the RT is a brilliant bike, so is the K. I just got a bit bored of the “character” associated with newer BMW bikes - random suspension changes, failing whizz wheel, sticky exhaust flaps, dissolving paintwork etc.

Don’t get me wrong, the RT is a brilliant bike, so is the K. I just got a bit bored of the “character” associated with newer BMW bikes - random suspension changes, failing whizz wheel, sticky exhaust flaps, dissolving paintwork etc.

All bikes have issues, we have run 3 TCs in our fleet (all gone now) they were not without faults, including shaft failures, switch gear failures, abs failures. We now have 4 RTs LCs, only issue has been the sticking flap. I've owned an LC for 8 years including a 1250 for the last 3, never heard of a problem with the whizzy wheel. But again exhaust flap was an issue. Paint on one of our fleet bikes was sorted under warranty.

Pre Lc's are boxer twins in character and are a good sum of their parts and design ideas... Probably a final bike in the lineage of the original boxers... Feel the engine, dry clutch, in-between gearbox and usual RT virtually anything ability... LC versions are the start of the new direction... They almost feel non boxer as they are way smoother and have a slicker feel and pin sharp handling and feedback... I've had a pre LC 12RT and liked it but have ended up with an LC for the "new way"... I'm selling an 1150Rt which is definitely "old school" next to either of these but is a definite a pre Hex and TC bike and nothing to do with LC versions...
Strange thing is I rode them back to back yesterday to run in some new pads on the 1150 and sort the ergos out between the two... If you measure bits they are very similar in dimensions and have bits you love and add to the ride... It's just the "bits" are completely different ... The oldies were great bikes but start to show their age and that feckin gearbox...🤣🤣 But you love the anchor out engine braking...
It's weird... I could have kept either for the long haul but the LC is the future and the oilheads is the past... The last TCs are now nearly 10 years old and that can be both a good and a not so good thing... Also more probs have been reported on the Hex and TC versions than the preceding and post versions... That may be usage on the LCs but there are some miles on them now...
I can understand why owners want the pre LC feel and character though...👍

PS... I looked at earlier higher mileage bikes and spent up for a couple of years newer, mint low mileage bike... Probably worth it... I've also had both the Pans and even though the 13 is a great bike it's heavy, way more complex than the 11 and to me didn't quite work... I've bought one to fix and it was a big fix ... Alternator/ regulator etc + a few other bits... I actually preferred my old 11...

I put 35,000 on a 2010 twincam RT. It was a great bike, very competent. However it had it's flaws, mainly the fuel strip went 4 times and I was constantly battling corrosion. I rode all year round but did use acf50 and looked after it. Never left me stranded. I ended up selling it after the 2 year authorised used warranty as ESA etc out of warranty gave me the fear.

I took out a 18 plate LC RT when that was the current model and I was blown away by the engine and performance, also imo it looks much more classy and less teutonic police bike. It felt smaller but it was way sportier feeling, lost a lot of the boxer character from my Twincam as it was much smoother. Only reason I didn't change was due to money, if I could have afforded both I'd have the LC for sure.

Not ridden the latest edition but I imagine the difference is even more stark. The prices are getting quite silly though!

Pic of my RT on many of its 2 up trips, which it excelled at!
03b918e1bb1f0d47ea25233e833c62f0.jpg
9c624bedc6bc613fae1dcded85d8df89.jpg

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

I bought ex police 2014 TC with 34k on it. Never owned dedicated touring bike before. ( not counting my GS as touring bike). Have to say I really like it. Saved a small fortune by buying RTP. No issues with it at all.
I guess it’s not as pretty as the civvie bike, but it handles well. So as my daily rider and do it all bike. I’m pleased with purchase

Back
Top Bottom