Help with India to Oz

gbags

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I’m planning to ship my bike to India (I’m a Brit) and ride to Oz.

Can anyone help with their experience of these parts? When would you advice travelling to hit good seasonal weather if I’m taking three or four months for this trip?
Avoiding rainy seasons and baking hot deserts in summer would obviously be a plus.

I’d prefer to ride the whole way but Russia is out now and Iran/Pakistan is doesn’t appeal to my wife. Any other options available?

This is a serious enquiry, not just a rainy day pipe dream so any help would be great.

Thanks

It's been a few years since being on the road but the route was generally from India, into Nepal where you flew to Bangkok, toured Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam (if you could get away with it). Down through Malaysia, take the Onion Boat from Penang to Indonesia, ride down through the islands to Timor-Leste then ship the bike to Darwin and yourself fly.

Others have shipped from Singapore to Aus to save time but this takes a bit more collaboration with friendly bikers to cart your bike by truck from the border to the port to save incurring extra charges.

Thailand rules are changing all the time and that was before covid, maybe Ride Asia . net might help with up to date information.

Try to dodge the monsoon seasons if you can, hot and wet isn't the problem it's the flooded roads and landslides which can hamper your journey.

If I were you, trying to blast through all these countries, which you can might, mean missing some great places, I'd focus on on a portion and go back to do the rest another time. Covid rules might make it a bit more difficult but not impossible, but if rules for any country changes it might hold you up for a week or more. I'd go tour Aus as it's a big ole place and plenty to see. Only you have to make sure your bike is cleaner than showroom spec and put up with the import inspection which does have some strange issues with brake pads.

Otherwise I'd do India, Nepal, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh and Bhutan. That would be my number one choice. Three months is not a very long time as the pace on these roads are a lot slower compared to some places in South America.

I did blog some of my journey here, https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/252269-Adventures-in-South-East-Asia

Thanks for the Ride Asia.net shout. I’d never heard of them.

We were in Sri Lanka when Covid arrived! Had two weeks touring on a rental FMX 650 and probably only saw a third of the Island, want to go back but maybe not the best place to visit at present, some amazing rides through the tea plantations and stunning beaches.

Al.

I’m enjoying your blog John.

I have been to quite a few of these countries between India and Oz but want to ride the whole route this time, then cross to South or Central America, an on.

Hi Devon Al, I’m at Exeter, on the Quay. It’s a good spot for beers and bike chat if you fancy it?

Hi Graham, Thanks, always lots to write about when you're on an adventure of sorts, it's finding the time that's the biggest problem. I know you've done bits and now want to do the whole stretch, but time is your biggest enemy, I would say you would only scratch the surface of some of these countries and the two biggest, India and Australia will have plenty for you to see, India at a snails pace and Aus with its coastal road with the joy of the corrugations going across the country will keep you entertained. Two years in each of these beautiful countries and still I missed out on quite a few things.

As for Sri Lanka, a lovely break from India, I hired a bike for a two week break and enjoyed it so much, I put my flight back another two weeks and carried on with the motorcycle hire. India is a Marmite place, most Overlanders I know hated the place, I must admit some of the accomodation I stayed wasn't fit for a dog, but after a day in the saddle beggars can't be choosers.

Depending on what you liked on your South American trip you can tailor you route to suit.

Back
Top Bottom