Orleans to Chambery

Allan Davies

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
As above really....I have planned a route, heading to the Italian Alps in June..heading towards Susa.
Coming from Dieppe on the 3pm so Orleans is convenient for several of us coming from different directions....day two to Chambery...a long day me thinks..trying to set it up so we can do some Dangerous Roads around Les Echelles, La Chambre and onto Alp D heuz via the 927 and D526 then onto Susa, on day three
I want to avoid tolls and motorway work as much as possible...
Anyone got any pointers,?

At the moment going via;
Orleans
Nevers
Moulins
Roanne
vill France
Around the right of Lyon to avoid Airzone
Chambery.
Now.... do I go via Macon, Bourg en Bresse then down to Chambery instead.I hate motorway work, but when needs must....
Day three is sorted, just Orleans to Chambery is the pain....

Any help appreciated or advice appreciated....on big dirt bikes....ok ok KTMs:comfort 690s to 1290s:p:blast:thumb

the D1504 from just south of Bourg en Bresse to Lac du Bourget is rather nice

That is roughly 300 miles.

As usual, it’s up to you and how long you think it will take you on D roads to ride 300 in a day, stating and stopping as only you know best.

There is just about only two roads between Lyon, eastwards to Chambery. The D1006 / 1516 and the A43 which was built to replace them / then the D196 which is nice but buggers around all over the shot. Take your pick.

Or you cut north of Lyon entirely past Sancerre > Macon > Bourg en Bresse etc. I think that’s the way I’d go. From Bourg en Bresse, the D roads generally run broadly parallel to the motorways, so you can take your pick as to which to use on the day or even that afternoon. You could even pick up the motorway at say Macon, down to Lyon and then across to Chambery that way.

Cheers guys....I think I've covered the bases, as usual the group don't want to organise and drip if they're not happy:blast I think that it will be dependent on the weather in the end. I would prefer to do some nice D roads before the hotel as Wessie has pointed out.
I must stop looking at maps and routes I've done in the past, as I go around in circles:blast
Cheers

Back home now... visiting my mother since 11am...been looking at the maps again :blast
I have now sorted my routes..wet and dry...the wet route will become the dry route...if the group moan too much.:aidan the best bit being...I have said I will get em there...but not back....I do have routes back mind;)

I would have thought that looking at a map was quite a good way to assess how to go on a journey of 300 or more miles across France? :D

:beerjug:

It’s on occasions like this that Michelin’s 726 Route planning map can come in really handy, as it strips out all the fussy detail that can clutter up some maps.

6053bc68f925f8ebed68b46a0b89a5ca.jpg

Using it and looking at just an area from roughly Macon to Chambery, it is easier to spot the most likely ‘sensible’ roads to take, depending on the time, weather and (possibly) moaning or delighted bods in the gaggle behind.

247205e38aebdbc0aa28b7ebff58affc.jpg

52bf97636a4050f9c5924416822a95ad.jpg

Highly recommended.

For example you should be able to easily see that from Macon, you have several choices:

1. Motorway all the way from Macon to Chambery, via Lyon. This is the reverse way I went from Chambery to the north of the Morvan in one day, simply as I wanted to spend a lot more of my time in the Morvan before arriving at my hotel, rather than taking D roads between Chambery and Macon.

2. Macon, then motorway to say junctions 8 or 9, then D roads across south south east to Chambery.

3. Macon, then the D2 south south east to Amberieu, then picking up the same roads as in point 2 above.

4. Or, from Amberieu, near enough south on the D roads to junction 10 on the A43 motorway and from there into Chambery.

If you are going through the Frejus tunnel to Susa i can highly recommend coming off the A43 at Modane and heading over the mountain to the lake at Val Cenis, there are a few little cafes overlooking the lake.Always loads of bikes from both countries and amazing alpine cheesy grub. Then drop down into Susa on the old road. It adds an hour,plus lunch, but saves the cost of the tunnel.

If you are going through the Frejus tunnel to Susa i can highly recommend coming off the A43 at Modane and heading over the mountain to the lake at Val Cenis, there are a few little cafes overlooking the lake.Always loads of bikes from both countries and amazing alpine cheesy grub. Then drop down into Susa on the old road. It adds an hour,plus lunch, but saves the cost of the tunnel.

Unless I have completely misunderstood you, that’s a bloody big detour on a route between Orleans and Chambery.

OP says....on to Susa on day three.
It's a route I travel often and a favourite diversion.

OP says....on to Susa on day three.
It's a route I travel often and a favourite diversion.

Aha, I see….. an extension of (or amendment to) to the OP’s overall jaunt, not a detour on a possible choice of routes between Orleans and Chambray.

Be aware if you ride in Lyon, Grenoble and Chambery that you need a "Crit Air" pollution certificate for your bike. You can buy them online but they take time to arrive. Failure to have one can result in a fine if stopped. Foreign plates are easy targets for les flics.

the D1504 from just south of Bourg en Bresse to Lac du Bourget is rather nice

What he said. Not massively exciting but some nice views. A bakery and a Macdonalds at Belley, another nicer bakery called Le Paniere just past Lac Bourget and a few decent cafes at the side of Lac Bourget.

We are planning on doing Col DuCenis, l'lseran,
Bourg St Maurice etc on the way back from 6 days riding off road on the military roads like Mt Jaffarau, Stella etc
Going along the Btm by the Galibier after Alpe d Huez and some Balcony roads
Cheers

Be aware if you ride in Lyon, Grenoble and Chambery that you need a "Crit Air" pollution certificate for your bike. You can buy them online but they take time to arrive. Failure to have one can result in a fine if stopped. Foreign plates are easy targets for les flics.

Fully aware of that issue, going east side if we do.....looking more like Bourg en Bresse now
Cheers

Aha, I see….. an extension of (or amendment to) to the OP’s overall jaunt, not a detour on a possible choice of routes between Orleans and Chambray.

Cheers Wapping....
We chose Orleans as our first stop over, due to time and mileage constraints....heading towards Nevers on fastest route, then toward Montceau ~ Tournus ~Macon then cross country from there.
Great info and replies people

I use an old 722 map that I laminated about 10 years ago....must get a new version as most road numbers have been updated...but I can't bare to part with it as it has highlighted routes I have planned B4 on it...it is now in three convenient parts due to the bending and folding over the years:aidan priceless when route planning....in conjunction with Via Michelin and Basecamp and your font of wisdom naturally Wapping
Love it

We are planning on doing Col DuCenis, l'lseran,
Bourg St Maurice etc on the way back from 6 days riding off road on the military roads like Mt Jaffarau, Stella etc
Going along the Btm by the Galibier after Alpe d Huez and some Balcony roads
Cheers

Very jealous! There are some amazing passes and some ring shrinkers too....the French side seems to have better barriers and some in Italy have none and the road disarmingly will turn to gravel. In itself fine but I can't help but start looking for places to turn.. haven't had to yet:augie

Back
Top Bottom