Wales TET on KTM 990 ADV

theluke79

Reaction score
Hey fellas, how doable is the Wales TET on a 990 ADV R with aggressive knobbly tires?

I know it depends a lot on skills, weight, experience, weather conditions etc.:rob

Let me give you a few more info:

- I will travel very light: no camping/cooking gear

- Only soft luggage

- No pressure like "I have to do it all", I live in Ireland so I can always come back and do the stuff I missed :aidan

- I have a fair amount of experience riding the 990 on trails (Wales 500, Kielder 500, Sweet Lamb training), but by no means I am a pro rider :blagblah

- I have good navigation experience and topo maps etc.

Thank you!!

From your 'cv' you may find some of the sections challenging but not impossible on that bike.
Some parts have bare rock section which when wet will cause some cursing but it sounds like your prepared for that :)

Thanks guys... I am worried about the interest suscitsted by my post... Anyway, I should have probably added that I did watch a good few videos of people doing parts of the Welsh TET and, if I were alone, I would cut the Strata Florida out.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Thanks guys... I am worried about the interest suscitsted by my post... Anyway, I should have probably added that I did watch a good few videos of people doing parts of the Welsh TET and, if I were alone, I would cut the Strata Florida out.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

I did the Strata a couple of weeks ago. Apart from us, I didn't see another soul on the trail. I certainly wouldn't attempt that on my own.

All credit to everyone of the lads in that video. It’s called “axle breaker “ and I’ve seen competent riders on 350 husky/ktm’s come to grief on there. Riders have been intimidated by first river crossing and turned back. Looks reasonable in video but much harder in reality, grip non existent in all but dry conditions. Avoid it if you’re solo.

I have ridden Wales many times on my 115kg 400 EXC and found it challenging, especially in the wet. I also own a 200kg 990 adventure and would not go near off road terrain - I can barely get it off the deck on the rare occasions that I have had slow speed offs. For me personally, not being an off road god, but a competent off road rider, riding such a large machine off road is not at all easy and definitely not much fun.

Everyone will have a different answer influenced by big bike experience and weather which the OP appears well aware of.
I'm riding Welsh trails for the next 5 days out of 6 on a KTM 520, would I do it on my 950SE?
Yes, if it was dry and I had company.

Thanks lads! Valid points.
I am no foo road go either
I did ride the 990 offroad, picked it up and sweat hard to do it.
The "bastard lane" would be a no-go if alone from what I can see.

Yes Bastard Lane is a loop and easily skipped :)

I expect you've seen this vid which includes a 990. This is another bit of the Wales TET that is probably not for solo riding!

https://youtu.be/c0nAyNTeD0A

STREWTH. Beyond what I want to do on my little 'off road' forays. See the nice lanes, yes, like the bit after the last gate where they go round the hill, that would be for me!

I wonder how Bastard Lane got it's name? :D:D

I hate it when lads park their bikes right at the top of an obstacle so if you hit it at speed and end up bouncing around in any direction you have another obstacle to avoid!:D

Tough trail for a noob on a heavy bike. Definitely not solo.

Back
Top Bottom