Remove ABS or Fix and Keep

NeilH

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
R1200RT 2007 model where the brushes stick : - replace with a Fiester motor last year which has worked until today.

When I fixed it last time I was unable to remove the rear brake line from the ABS unit (It was rounded before i started), so I disconnected it at the rear and threaded it through....a right pain and not looking forward to doing that again.

So do I fix it again or cut my losses and perform a servosectomy with a touch of black tail varnish?

Whats the vote?

Servoectomy. Too much bother when it goes again. JJH

Its Not a Servo One JJ

Neil I don't know what has happened to yours or how you resecured it on the ABS unit

When I did the last one I drilled 4 holes and tapped them and fitted nuts

It has to be a tight fit to the face as the contacts for the motor are in there

Its a fair lump of a motor and the shock and vibration could have loosened it if you just peened the alloy over

Agreed, its is a tight fit (and still is) , a gentle tap with the hammer did free it up for a a few days, but then back to the same problem. I think I'll just take it out and be done with it.

So I have now got another motor and its time for reassembly and cleaning.

Any bright ideas on how to push back the pistons to insert the part the ossilates?

Observatoin, the piston take a fair bit of force to move back I'm hoping this is normal.

So on the 2007 model you can't remove the I-ABS generation II as that would leave me without tail lights as I believe they are operated by the ABS model, probably on a change of pressure which notifies the CAM bus to turn on the tail light.

Attachments

• Fit Plunger.jpg
    Fit Plunger.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 199
I have the same fault, just left the ABS alone riding the bike like I was in the 90's. I haven't revisited getting this sorted recently where do you look up a 'Fiester motor'? Tried google and cannot find anything.

I am pretty sure that there is a repair kit specifically for this fault, you just need to strip the motor to replace the bushes and then somehow get the motor back in and fix it to the ABS pump. The issue is if you replace your pump with another it won't work as BMW has program locked it - ergo you can only replace it via them.

I did find a company online in the UK that if you send off your ABS pump they will repair it and return it with new bushes etc and it won't need programming as it is already in your ECU.

https://controlunits.co.uk/bmw-motorcycle/

The pump motor is just a motor and is not program locked. You could even buy a 2nd hand ABS unit take of the electrics and place the electrics from the old unit and it will work. You could just dissasemble it and clean the brushes and reassemble too.

Back
Top Bottom