come back to biking with zero ncb

ddanby2002

Reaction score
So basically I've been riding bikes half my life and I've had r1 gs1200 thundercats ect, I bill up 11 years no claims bonus then sold my bike in 2017 to my restaurant now I'm looking at getting a GS 1250 and I'm getting insurance quotes at 3 1/2 grand does anyone know if there's any way of them mirroring my six years no claims bonus on the car I've got at the moment because I find it crazy that I'm paying £450 a month for a 70 grand Land Rover and 3 1/2 grand for an 18 grand bike any help would be appreciated our advice from anyone that's been in a similar situation ta :okay

I've never heard of "mirroring" car NCB across to your bike and it sounds unlikely. The problem you have is the specific theft risk attached to a 1250GS and not just the cost. NCB on bikes also tends to be at a lower percentage than cars, in my experience. You may want to have a look at an older bike, or another make, and run those through Insurance Quote sites to see what answers you get. (Oh, I guess you meant £450 a year for your LR.)

Is your bike being stored outside, or in a locked, brick garage?
Does your local area have bad statistics for Motorcycle/vehicle thefts, Or overall crime? check using this link
Are all the companies with those quotes supported by a small group of underwriters?

Ask them what is inflating the price?
Is it you, the rider?
The area?
The Bike?

And ask what can bring it down?
Rider training
Bike Locks
Bike Tracker etc

I don't know if anyone does a car/bike multi-vehicle insurance but I've had multi-bike insurance that covered 3 bikes, the overall cost was then reduced by my NCB.

Worth hunting or asking around.

So basically I've been riding bikes half my life and I've had r1 gs1200 thundercats ect, I bill up 11 years no claims bonus then sold my bike in 2017 to my restaurant now I'm looking at getting a GS 1250 and I'm getting insurance quotes at 3 1/2 grand does anyone know if there's any way of them mirroring my six years no claims bonus on the car I've got at the moment because I find it crazy that I'm paying £450 a month for a 70 grand Land Rover and 3 1/2 grand for an 18 grand bike any help would be appreciated our advice from anyone that's been in a similar situation ta :okay

I was in a similar situation and got it through Carole Nash @£350. I am 60 tho!! : )

I'm going to make an assumption that you're after a BMW, so I would try BMWs own insurance.

When I started out I did a few months on a 125cc learner bike, and then bought a secondhand R1200GS before I got my license back from the DVLA. I was in my 30s in a quiet bit of the hills near Manchester, and BMW were way cheaper than anyone else back then.

I'm going to make an assumption that you're after a BMW, so I would try BMWs own insurance.

When I started out I did a few months on a 125cc learner bike, and then bought a secondhand R1200GS before I got my license back from the DVLA. I was in my 30s in a quiet bit of the hills near Manchester, and BMW were way cheaper than anyone else back then.

a friend was bikeless for a while due to working overseas. He insured an old snotter that was actually being stripped for spares by AN Other but had a valid V5C to keep his NCB alive. Cost about £30 a year. This doesn't help the OP but maybe something for others to consider if they are taking a break if a baby arrives, work overseas etc.

Buy a classic BM. No NCB on classic policies afaik? :nenau: A late R1150GS would be insurable on a classic policy and there are good ones out there..

I was similar last November.
Due to illness I stopped riding in 2016. Prior to that i had max NCB on car and bike.
Last bike was a Twin cam GSA and wanted the same again.

Previous insurer ( who also insure the car ) says that NCB lapsed after 2 years and quoted about £300 to insure a 2012 r1200GS with no NCD.
I took cover from Carol Nash at £140. ( i expect they will sting me next year)
I am almost 70, Rospa gold ( Multiple Times) and live in Suffolk.
In my experience Bike has always been cheaper to insure than the car.

It sounds like they dont like somthing, could be the bike or the area you live in. Try getting a quote for an older bike.

I suspect that you're just going to have to ring round and ultimately bite the bullet with no NCD available (pretty sure you won't be able to use your car NCD simultaneously (if you can even use car NCD))

Run a smaller bike for 12 months, once you have a years NCB insurers won't see you as a newbie going straight to a big bike.

Thanks guys for the help. Guess I may have to ride a 600 or something till I get some ncb

How many years without a bike does the NCB finish?

Worth talking to various insurers - if they understand the situation they may be able to help, even though technically you have no NCB. I always find it easier to get some quotes online and then talk to a real person. Carol Nash have been good to me in the past but I'm with Devitt now who also seemed very helpful on the phone.

Back
Top Bottom