ABS- Am I on the right track ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

adventuredon

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
02 1150 r servo brake model
Starts fine in the morning bar a whining starter motor soon to be replaced (voltage shows 11.8, drops to 8.4 on start then straight back to 13.8 as I ride off). Ride off and ABS lights go off. Good. After 3 miles I get the intermittent alternative dual flash on the ABS at 1 second intervals.

Turn bike off, start and ride for 7 miles no flashing. Then flashing lights pop on again. Brakes and abs work fine, tested on multiple occasions. Happened on 3 of my commutes this week. But then on start up to come home, battery voltage shows 12.8 before starting and then no flashing lights. Battery replaced last year June. Bike is ridden 30 miles daily.
Had the same symptoms last year in June and a new battery cured it. I have contacted tayna and they said send battery back for testing and they may replace it. Am I right to assume the flashing is coming from the low voltage reading? If so, surely lights would stay on after starting in the morning, not disappear then re appear? What gets me is that after a ride in, in the warmer afternoon no lights show. So maybe battery is then charged enough?
No alarm, no GPS in use, no accessories added in last 3 years. So am I on the right track thinking its a battery?

Battery issues are usually associated with ABS2 systems (pre iABS/servo brakes) You have stated yours is Servo brakes and a 02 is about when the change over occurred.

Sounds like this is the warning you are getting…

Gen AND ABS flashing alternately at 1Hz = Fluid level in Integral ABS too low.

Check your fluid level in the servo unit, it sounds like one or both reservoirs are low and may need topping up.

thanks, will do that when I can. But surely that would be a constant issue then. Not one that didn't re appear in the afternoon?

thanks, will do that when I can. But surely that would be a constant issue then. Not one that didn't re appear in the afternoon?

I don’t know.

The level changes as the fluid operates the brakes. Add in some thermal expansion and how the brakes are operated. I’m not sure about the R, but I think only the RT has dual linked brakes.

On my GS the front brake lever operates both front and rear brakes at the same time proportionally, while the foot brake pedal only operates the rear brake. Think about how you use your brakes pedal and lever.

Checking the level is a good starting point, as the level will decrease as pads wear.

ok an update. Took bike to local mechanic and had a new starter motor fitted. No errors found on diagnostic tool re ABS. Full ABS step by step test. No faults.
Driven 15 miles tofday with no stops and its fixed it (or its not showing up). Old starter motor teeth were worn quite badly. MAybe this it fixed.
Bike starts lovely now compared to the whining..

Battery issues are usually associated with ABS2 systems (pre iABS/servo brakes) You have stated yours is Servo brakes and a 02 is about when the change over occurred.

Sounds like this is the warning you are getting…

Gen AND ABS flashing alternately at 1Hz = Fluid level in Integral ABS too low.

Check your fluid level in the servo unit, it sounds like one or both reservoirs are low and may need topping up.

checked both reservoirs, fluid level normal

ok an update. Took bike to local mechanic and had a new starter motor fitted. No errors found on diagnostic tool re ABS. Full ABS step by step test. No faults.
Driven 15 miles tofday with no stops and its fixed it (or its not showing up). Old starter motor teeth were worn quite badly. MAybe this it fixed.

so the lights came back a day later! New battery being fitted on Sat, and will see if that helps. Could it be the alternator not working properly?

so the lights came back a day later! New battery being fitted on Sat, and will see if that helps. Could it be the alternator not working properly?

OK, so you have good fluid levels, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that both of the fluid level sensors are working. One could be intermittent.

If you don’t have access to test equipment to diagnose exactly what the fault is, then you could try disconnecting the fluid level sensor connector on top of each reservoir and shorting the pins out on the flying lead which feeds the computer. One at a time or both together and see if that makes any difference. It’s not a permanent solution, as your ABS would never know and therefore never indicate a fluid leak, which is the purpose of the level sensors, but it might help you make some progress in fault finding.

Ok, new battery in, full diagnostic tests run, no errors. Levels checked again, all normal. New batt fitted. Voltage shows 12.2. drops to 11.8 on startup then straight back to 13.8. Steady at 13.8 and does not increase even after 4000rpm. Some reading says it might not be the battery as the system check occurs after power to battery and could be the voltage regulator. Called M works and that's also the first thing they said when I enquired about an alternator. I guess with the work involved its best to replace the 2 together. since no diagnostics are showing anything and only a road test shows the failure lights. Could this (alternator or voltage reg) or both be the source of my ABS flashing light woes?

checked both reservoirs, fluid level normal

Oh dear… I had the bike in today.. Seems after all the previous checks by mechanics etc and no one had checked the brake fluid levels in the brake servo unit. Nothing to do with the battery or electrics. Both circuits were very low. And the Alternator is working perfectly…

And the rear pads were well used, like super good value for money even though they were replaced Jan 22, 2.5 k ago. go figure. Thanks again to Steppers for sorting it in a day

Oh dear… I had the bike in today.. Seems after all the previous checks by mechanics etc and no one had checked the brake fluid levels in the brake servo unit. Nothing to do with the battery or electrics. Both circuits were very low. And the Alternator is working perfectly…

:blast…….At least I can take some satisfaction in knowing I was giving the OP correct advise even though it wasn’t used.

Thanks for posting the results.
:thumb
Ian

:blast…….At least I can take some satisfaction in knowing I was giving the OP correct advise even though it wasn’t used.

Thanks for posting the results.
:thumb
Ian

Thank Ian, but I don't always get to just tell mechanics what to do. TBH, the day I took the bike to the mechanic for his diagnosis, was the day he heard his young wife had cancer and he was suddenly a single parent to a 3 year old and the main income source. He was a bit flustered tbh. He also didn't have time to do all the things he should have checked (rear pads etc) Given that I had confirmation bias of the battery and a low voltage issue (as it happened the year before and got solved the year before by replacing the battery) we went on the electrical avenue. He was able to swap out my battery that I could send away for testing and also willing to buy the returned battery while I kept the new one, instead of swapping it out again. Then when I got the battery test and the issue didn't go away with the new battery he didn't have time to take the bike in over a day, nor provide a loaner. Steppers has stepped up and I am happy, but I won't blame the local guy. He knows a lot, just not all..:)

and solved. However I am still displeased with only getting 3000 miles from a set of rear pads, sintered HH from motorworks. Usually get around 7500 miles. Oh well, will monitor the platinum ferodo ones now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom