Pay attention to the small print

Northern jock

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I phoned Adrian Flux for a multi bike quote this morning, they got back to me with a decent price, I agreed to go ahead with it so he said he'd just run through the legal stuff, as he has to.

He rattled through it at high speed and I caught the phrase "ground anchor" so I stopped him and asked what that was about as I don't have them, as he knew from getting the details. He replied that it was a condition of the quote that the bmw is attached to one inside the garage, I asked why he hadn't mentioned it upfront, he agreed that he had missed a significant change or, just not bothered to mention it hoping I wouldn't notice.

And of quote and call. So, as we all know, pay attention to the detail, not just the big stuff.

Bit underhand of him, I should probably ask AF if that is recommended practice by their agents.

BMW should be connected to a ground anchor, I wonder what it should be connected with, and does the ground anchor need to be attached to the ground.

So a ground anchor connected by a tie-wrap etc?

:blast

To say a ground anchor without further specification is just daft.

I’ve had arbitrary requirements for insurance before.
One was for British Standard locks on front & back house doors.
I have good locks but not BS stamped.
I asked them to adjust the price for non BS locks…. No charge….WTF?
So no change in premium but if I’d been broken into by defeating the lock…potential wiggle room for the loss adjuster.

I phoned Adrian Flux for a multi bike quote this morning, they got back to me with a decent price, I agreed to go ahead with it so he said he'd just run through the legal stuff, as he has to.

He rattled through it at high speed and I caught the phrase "ground anchor" so I stopped him and asked what that was about as I don't have them, as he knew from getting the details. He replied that it was a condition of the quote that the bmw is attached to one inside the garage, I asked why he hadn't mentioned it upfront, he agreed that he had missed a significant change or, just not bothered to mention it hoping I wouldn't notice.

And of quote and call. So, as we all know, pay attention to the detail, not just the big stuff.

Bit underhand of him, I should probably ask AF if that is recommended practice by their agents.

You do get two weeks "cooling off" to pick the bones out of any "paperwork" you get but even at that, most folks will just stash it away in a file on their laptop or leave it as an email.

Caveat emptor, as always!

BMW should be connected to a ground anchor, I wonder what it should be connected with, and does the ground anchor need to be attached to the ground.

So a ground anchor connected by a tie-wrap etc?

:blast

No, it did have to be to a standard but I'd stopped paying attention at that point.

This really annoys me about Insurance companys they say one thing to one chap and something completely different to the other?? I have Multibike with Bikesure/Adrian Flux never has there been any mention of ground anchors??

This really annoys me about Insurance companys they say one thing to one chap and something completely different to the other?? I have Multibike with Bikesure/Adrian Flux never has there been any mention of ground anchors??

Probably something to do with Kingussie being a hotbed of organised crime.

Back
Top Bottom