BMW upgraded fuel sensor strip.

Watching with interest. Anyone confirm if there is a new part number for the upgraded part or is it 16147675547

So are they going to recall all the crappy ones that are sitting in national distributors & dealers , I doubt it.
Then it's going to be a lottery which one you're going to get.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk

Last week Vines told me that they had none in stock for a 2011 R1200R but that new upgrade/revised version could be ordered for after Easter!

So are they going to recall all the crappy ones that are sitting in national distributors & dealers , I doubt it.
Then it's going to be a lottery which one you're going to get.

Absolutley,

The part number will stay the same, but the revision level will change

the question is will they obsolete the exsisting stock or follow fifo and use up the old level stock ..

be an interesting outcome

UPDATE

BMW have now issued the new upgraded fuel strip, mine is booked in with the main dealer to be fitted 28th of this month. Teccy bloke admitted that there had been some issues with the existing fuel strips. (. Really. :).) I asked what the upgrade was, he said it was a new and very much improved coating and should eliminate all previous issues.
He's fitted two this week so no feedback as yet but there is hope. :)

I hope that if mine fails again before the warranty runs out next year, that they fit an upgraded one. Might not have to buy another one then if they are fixed.

do your bikes not have a trip odometer ?

I’ve used the odometer for a few years, the installed a float.
The GSA (at least mine) will have a pretty big fuel consumption difference if you are going up and down the alps or keeping 90mph on the motorway (the latter being way worse). Sometimes it gets tricky to gauge how much you have left based on the miles and leads to extra stops (sometimes unwanted) while traveling.

I’ve ran out of fuel only three times during those years, always within London, twice missing the fuel station by about 20 miles :)

Absolutley,

The part number will stay the same, but the revision level will change

the question is will they obsolete the exsisting stock or follow fifo and use up the old level stock ..

be an interesting outcome

are you sure - all other part numbers seem to get updated when there's a later part ?

are you sure - all other part numbers seem to get updated when there's a later part ?

Most oem's use the following, or variations on the following

New part = new part number Revisions to the part, = part numbers stay the same but other oem identifiers change (part index , stamping's on the part, date clocks etc)

new part number

was Fuel level sensor 1 16147675547 £175 plus vat
now Fuel level sensor 1 16141600132 £150 plus vat

Is there a description of what is different.?

I have no details - but it can't be worse can it

True, I just wondered if the description matched what the BMW teccy bloke told me.

it was the same parts bloke that had giggled a few weeks back - this time when I said can he check if there's a new strip - he said with a smile "there is now !!!" then went on to say something about improved.... but I wasn't listening by then, I have no intention of having a crappy strip in my tank - the better float is in there, I just need to sort the mess so the bike understands float gibberish down the strip wires - the bod in NL makes one, and that'll be a lot less effort than getting my arm stuck in the petrol tank and then 5 hours at A&E / cutting myself with a knife and searching ebay for a replacement tank

The OLD crappy strip you mean. :)

I'm gonna have the super duper last a life time new coating wonder strip in mine :). All under warranty on a 2008 GS.... Oh how I smiled. :)

I have a control tech neighbour - he was desperate to pull my old one apart to find the fake fault and fix it for me - but the piezo ignitor repair worked and when you want to code over to the newer float its better to have a working strip to turn off the old imprinted error code

BM are not stupid but they are criminals

For the RT guys it can make a difference as changing to the float is a different type of option needing a bit of sortware to do the conversion unlike the GS which we can change the pins on the ECU. I'll be at BMW in 2 weeks time getting other parts if they arrive from germany so I'll get them to check that part number. If they have a strip in stock I might get an be able to see it and put an old strip side by side and view the difference.

After my visit to BMW last week I asked about the Fuel strip as it was something I'd raised with them a few weeks before. They said 3 days after I had spoken to them they got notification of the newer fuel strip.

They didn't have any in stock, it would have to be ordered from Germany and no they won't do it on a recall or anything else. New strip is now on order, should be here next week. I'll take comparison photo's if its actually looks any different.

That's a lot of money, really glad mine is being done under warranty on Thursday

That's a lot of money, really glad mine is being done under warranty on Thursday
Under warranty!, since the last strips were used on the 2009 gs's that's Impressive on a 13 Yr old bike.

Back
Top Bottom