BMW upgraded fuel sensor strip.

So some interesting news

if you calibrate a fuel strip and it fails you'll get the fuel strip error code that clears, and the miles and fuel display count down, making you think OK, it just didn't achieve anything.... But then it does nothing at all when you fill it up. Reacting as if you've put nothing in, so orange light and fuel message on the cluster remain, and the distance to empty counts down and at Zero the display reads "- -" and stays there with No error messages stored in the ECU - So BMW deliberately mess it up to get you back to the dealership - software that wasn't written by crooks would just leave the old values stored

So got the repaired strip out the cupboard (piezo igniter trick 19 times) and 4 paper clips, gave myself a 10% chance and 4 mins later "fuel strip calibration successful" - connected things up, did 20 yards and get a full tank of fuel

It did work for a while....

Now it doesn't again.

my probeeemer bit and a float doesn't like a full or nearly full tank if you leave the key on and use the side stand - it goes mad says how did I just get more fuel and throws the error of a failed strip - then gets over after a short ride

I had my fuel strip fail about 5 years ago. I now use the trip meter and refuel at about 160 miles. I was getting fed up with the warning being displayed all the time so I used the modification from Advrider forum. It puts 3 resistors in line with the fuel strip connector. That mod has been in place for 4 years now and is great. It normally shows a full tank
permanently but yesterday went down to half a tank! I don't care as long as the warning has gone. I suspect that either one of the resistors is breaking down or there is something more going on in the tank.

Got mine replaced around 3 months ago.
140 quid for the strip and 60 to fit by my local independent.

Working perfectly

As I said in another post, the strip is warranted for two years but I’d have to pay another 60 quid to have it replaced.

He also said if storing over winter for example, brim the tank. He reckons the strips dry out

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've had 11 fuel strips.
Weirdly the last one fitted 2.5 years ago before the upgraded one came out is still working fine.

Back
Top Bottom