BMW upgraded fuel sensor strip.

Robbi

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Took my 2008 R1200GS back to the shop to get the fuel sensor strip replaced ( used for less than 200 miles) under warranty. The technician / mechanic advised that I wait 3 weeks as BMW will be releasing a new upgraded version that should get rid of the horrendous issues associated with the existing sensor strip.

Anybody else heard of this.?

Took my 2008 R1200GS back to the shop to get the fuel sensor strip replaced ( used for less than 200 miles) under warranty. The technician / mechanic advised that I wait 3 weeks as BMW will be releasing a new upgraded version that should get rid of the horrendous issues associated with the existing sensor strip.

Anybody else heard of this.?

I hope mine fails under the warranty this year and they replace it with one of these then next time. £125.00 a year to have a working fuel guage is getting silly.

the only development on spares is to make them die faster...

the delay is likely as they now do last 5 mins and they stopped making them 2 years, so have run out of stock - its highly likely its just a marketing ploy to encourage more fools to waste more money

you can by the float and if you have twin plug ZFE just use the other method, and put 200 quid in your pocket
or buy the float and buy the Dutch bodge up to tell the float signal to behave like the strip.... and put 80 quid in your pocket

Didn't they just! Had 3 on my 2010 GSA until I gave up and relied on trip meter

Got my info from the senior technician at Charles Hurst BMW in Belfast if that helps.

I was just in my BM dealer and asked the parts bod if he'd heard of this fuel strip change - he laughed said No, and just sat there chuckling to himself the idea of an upgrade was amusing him - then added - they last about 3 years

Spoke to the dealer today about this, he has said he will give me a call during the next week when they get them in.

Another week passes....any update?, so happens the fuel take is off my bike at the momemnt which makes a great time to replace it.

Dealer should have called me last Thursday, he didn't, I'm now in bed with Covid, I'll give him a call later in the week.

do your bikes not have a trip odometer ?

this depends how many vehicles you drive and how often you come back to them - and or document the miles / fiddle with a trip meter reset - I don't know how to do that trip reset on my GS never touched the button in 12 years of ownership and no intention of going there - I'd rather it just functioned like its designed

Most automotive companys run on the model of

Spares - availability = Life of vehicle + 10 years

So if the mothership adopts that model.

Looking at its availability it shows 2001 - 2014 (06/14)

so 2014 + 10 years would =2024 (06/24)

Given its almost 24 months to go, its highly unlikely any major changes will occur at this stage

What the dealers may be seeing is a lifetime buy,

Lifetime buy is where the supplier of the part(s) offers the OEM a lifetime buy (eg xxxx qty) for them to manufacture xxx parts , then no more

do your bikes not have a trip odometer ?

If only it were that simple.
36 litre tank. I've had as little as 280 miles before needing to fuel up or as much as 450 miles before needing to fuel up. A working guage makes all the difference. Besides who wants to have a constant fuel low warning light on 100% of the time
Let alone it's been said the fuel pump works harder when low on fuel.

UPDATE

BMW have now issued the new upgraded fuel strip, mine is booked in with the main dealer to be fitted 28th of this month. Teccy bloke admitted that there had been some issues with the existing fuel strips. (. Really. :).) I asked what the upgrade was, he said it was a new and very much improved coating and should eliminate all previous issues.
He's fitted two this week so no feedback as yet but there is hope. :)

Great result Robbi,hope the new strip lasts,it'll be interesting to hear how it goes!!

Good luck :)

Back
Top Bottom