1200 gs steering lock won’t disengage

big twin

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi all the steering lock on my 54 plate 1200 won’t disengage like unlock ,,, the bike has been laying up for a while however it starts easily enough ,,,there is a warning ⚠️ on the dash along with a red brake failure warning light ,,could this be related to the lock issue? Or any other ideas gratefully received TIA

As far as I’m aware the steering lock is purely mechanical.
Get some appropriate lube in there and give it a waggle…otherwise you’ll have to strip the ignition barrel.

Here is the diagram. You need to get some lube squirted into part #1, where the lock tongue emerges & give it time to soak in.....

.......... https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sh...25-BMW-R_1200_GS_04_0307,0317_&diagId=51_5341

Like AA says, give it a good waggle about, but don't use excessive force & you may be lucky.

Whilst the brake warning is of concern & will need investigating, it cannot be related.

Is there any possibility that the bike has been attacked by thieves, albeit unsuccessfully, whilst in storage?

Thanks lads much appreciated the lube seems to have done the trick and the brake warning did clear :thumby:

Hi all the steering lock on my 54 plate 1200 won’t disengage like unlock ,,, the bike has been laying up for a while however it starts easily enough ,,,there is a warning ⚠️ on the dash along with a red brake failure warning light ,,could this be related to the lock issue? Or any other ideas gratefully received TIA

I am very confused. Are you asking a GS question in the RS section or have you made a typo and written GS when you meant RS. The steering locks are probably the same, but you would get many more people seeing your post in the GS part if that is the bike that you have.

Back
Top Bottom