What to get

shugie

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'd quite fancy a Guzzi, I liked the GS's, but the big ones are too tall and a lot of wonga for something that does not see that much use, the smaller GS models are ok, if a bit tall, but I do like the idea of a V-twin.

Doesn't need to be stupidly powerful, 750/850 would probably be fine, low seat essential, three grand ish so nothing that new. Able to carry enough "stuff" for a camping weekend.

What to look at, and what to avoid?

Blimey, you're talking bikes. Hope you're feeling OK.

BTW, the V7 looks good and a decent tank range. However, you're looking at an old bike for that money.
(I'd consider a well looked after Jap if possible for reasons of reliability and costs)

Good hunting.

I'm on 16k miles on my Guzzi V85TT now. It's my go-to bike for wandering round North Yorks and Cumbria. Plenty of power, handling and comfort for solo-riding trips. I would highly recommend one. I've been doing more miles on the V85TT than the other bikes in the garage...

Two-up, or chasing mates on faster bikes though, the V85 runs out of steam quickly, but if you observe speed limits, and mostly solo, the V85's a cracking choice/

Obv the new V100 Mandello will be out soon...Quite a bit more expensive but looks awesome

F650GS 800 twin maybe? Not the 'character' of an Italian maybe, but relatively reliable.... & economical, if that matters.

You really need more budget if you fancy a Guzzi.

F650GS 800 twin maybe? Not the 'character' of an Italian maybe, but relatively reliable.... & economical, if that matters.

You really need more budget if you fancy a Guzzi.

Agreed good bikes. I had a 800 parallel twin GS before the V85TT, altho mine was an older F650GS (the 800 twin). The baby GS is a great bike, the Rotax engine lovely, and long lived (many around with monster miles). The Guzzi shaft-drive was one of the thinks that won me over, I think the Guzzi (on tarmac) handling is a good bit better too (IMO). 800 GS is a great bike tho.

Doubt very much a V85 would be availble under £5k, whereas an older 800 twin BMW GS would be available at that budget...

or this? https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/572903-2014-Honda-NC750X?highlight=nc750x

Most Guzzi's ain't within your budget but something like a V50 would be.

They're pretty small and would not carry the kitchen sink but should be OK with a little bit of "stuff" for camping.

And as per wrinkley's post a Breva would fit the bill, probably better than a V50 as it would be that bit newer.

I had a short ride on my pals Guzzi V85TT yesterday. I thought the seat was very comfortable, and I loved the riding position, but the gearbox felt very clunky, certainly not as nice as the ones on my previous two Stelvios. Would I be tempted to buy one....no, but I do like Moto Guzzis in general. Perhaps I need a longer ride to appreciate it.

Agreed good bikes. I had a 800 parallel twin GS before the V85TT, altho mine was an older F650GS (the 800 twin). The baby GS is a great bike, the Rotax engine lovely, and long lived (many around with monster miles). The Guzzi shaft-drive was one of the thinks that won me over, I think the Guzzi (on tarmac) handling is a good bit better too (IMO). 800 GS is a great bike tho.

Doubt very much a V85 would be availble under £5k, whereas an older 800 twin BMW GS would be available at that budget...

or this? https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/572903-2014-Honda-NC750X?highlight=nc750x

I've nothing against Rotax engines, having had the singles in the XCountry, but like shaft drive and the idea of a V-twin. Might need to find some more cash.

Breva 750 .

it will do everything you need .

what to look for .

leaky drive box , oil on rr wheel.

oil on sump drain / slipping clutch.

broken hl shell

i'm 6'2" , it's one of my everyday hacks . 55 mpg 60 on a run. easy to look after , will do 2 up work , cruise at indicated 80 , 180 plus on a tank , come over and have a go. Leatherhead.

Breva 750 .

it will do everything you need .

what to look for .

leaky drive box , oil on rr wheel.

oil on sump drain / slipping clutch.

broken hl shell

i'm 6'2" , it's one of my everyday hacks . 55 mpg 60 on a run. easy to look after , will do 2 up work , cruise at indicated 80 , 180 plus on a tank , come over and have a go. Leatherhead.

Thanks for the suggestion and info, does look like a good option.

Nice bikes from what I hear, but I'm not really into Japanese stuff

Cali' 3, in your budget

Not seen many for sale, but then I only want the one.

+1 for the Breva - when I was doing a lot of Guzzi searching 2 months ago looking for my Sport, I saw lots of Brevas available at reasonable prices, esp as Baldrick suggests, the 750s.

I am new to Guzzis, having had perhaps .... 40?... bikes previously. I know we're sometimes inclined to 'love the one we're with' especially when it's new and novel, but everything so far has underlined what a very fine bike this is. Thoroughly engaging, a lovely chunky motor, some very nice design details, a glorious sound and a tiny bit exclusive. I really like it. I'd imagine that you could buy and re-sell a Breva without losing a cent, if you didn't like it.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203879726182?hash=item2f782dbc66:g:fMkAAOSwzYRiO0pG

breva 7

panniers , non-guzzi screen .

paint still on footrest plates ! and i know the original selling dealer.

a better deal than this one.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/115178884190?hash=item1ad1324c5e:g:oCAAAOSwxRJhvD0l .

mileage on a Guzzi isn't that important , condition and service history is.

That is very tempting, I need to get my arse into gear selling the K bike that's in the garage and make space, that Brevia looks worth a punt.

Back
Top Bottom