BMW Connect cradle - Iphone 13 not charging

Wapping

Reaction score
For some, as yet unknown reason, the wireless charging of my iPhone 13 doesn’t work.

The phone’s home screen shows the lightning bolt (ie charging) but it seems that no juice is being supplied, so the phone slowly flattens itself.

Similarly, the green flashing LED (which shows that a charge is underway) is not flashing. As you can turn the LED on and off, I have checked that it was set to be ‘ON’.

I have checked that the phone’s wireless charging DOES work as it should, by plonking it onto my wireless charger at home, where it works perfectly.

My first line of investigation will be to see if my spare iPhone charges in the cradle. I’d be surprised if it does. (I guessed wrongly. See below).

My second line will be to ensure that the contacts between the Connect cradle and the original Nav VI mount are clean.

My third will be to see if a lump hammer sorts it out.

My last line will be to take the bag of pieces to BMW in Battersea.

My first line of investigation reveals that two other iPhones charge perfectly.

My iPhone 13 Pro Max seems to start charging, then stops, though the lightning (charging) symbol stays illuminated. Then the lightning symbol goes out, then it comes back on again, then off. The green LED charging illuminates briefly. Then goes off. This is all very odd, as it certainly worked fine last weekend. It’s also on the the wireless charging works fine indoors at home. It can’t be due to a software update, as the phone that works and the one that doesn’t are both running iOS 15.3.1. The other phone that also works is running 15.4.

It would seem that, for whatever reason, the 13 Pro Max dislikes charging off the Connected cradle.

Stranger and stranger.

If I turn the 13 Pro Max right off, powering it down completely and then restart it, it will then seem to charge, but will stop charging when I start the bike’s engine. It is normal that the charging stops when the engine cranks, as the bike switches all the peripherals off in order to push all the available power to the starting process. What is not normal is that the phone doesn’t then restart charging properly.

Once the engine is running, the phone shows the lightning bolt (ie it thinks it’s charging) but the green LED on the cradle does not light. The phone is certainly not charging. I also notice that the lightning bolt symbol flashes on and off irregularly.

So, two earlier wireless charging capable iPhones phones do charge in the cradle but the 13 doesn’t. Bloody good job I was not away on holiday, with only one phone!

I was getting to like all this phone GPS malarkey, indeed I tested the beta version of the BMW Connected app today, without taking my GPS as a back-up but it goes to show that maybe you shouldn’t rely on just the phone if you are going away or at least make sure it keeps charging! It’ll be interesting to see if iphone 13 that doesn’t charge in the cradle, does charge on my 1600 when it turns up.

Someone will be along to tell you that you should revert to a Nokia 6310 as they hold a charge for ever and a day…..of course you may have a small problem with maps though! :blagblah

One tedious feature of the iPhone’s battery flattening, is that the ‘Low battery’ warning pops up in the middle of the screen, obscuring the view. This cannot be cleared until you stop and take a glove off.

In a perverse way I'm sort of looking forward to my Nav V giving up the ghost (working perfectly as I write) as I love the idea of the Connected cradle but can't make my budget stretch to the expenditure whilst its currently not strictly necessary. However, it is a bugger that the super duper iPhone 13 Pro Max does not play nicely with the Connected Cradle. I presume that it is still possible to plug in the phone to the usb for charging purposes until a fix is released, and that all other functions work

The USB charge lead should still work, unless the poor charging from the cradle overrides it.

Your Nav V will (or at least should) last for years to come.

This not restricted to the connected cradle. My iphone 13 pro won't charge via the wireless charger pad in my car. From reading posts on other sites, it points to the phone software.

In the words of L.B.J. "Can't fart and chew gum at the same time"

Many years ago I had the misfortune to purchase, outright, an new Apple phone. I installed a satnav programme on it.
I found it would charge or work the satnav, but not both at once.
After 2 years of denials by the bastards, they finally did a sofware upgrade which cured the problem

Well it seems the samsung s22 ultra is the same.

Let me down today

Exact same problem here in Utah - any workarounds?

For a phone that will not charge directly from the cradle, the only workaround available at the moment is to:

1. Place the phone onto the cradle as usual.

2. Assuming the phone has a charging socket, connect it to a power source via a lead.

I used the cradle for the first time today with my I phone 13 pro max. The wireless charging seemed to work, went out with 100% charged phone came home 8 hours later having followed a series of routes installed with 100% full battery.
The green light on the cradle stated on most of the time occasionally it went off. I will try again next week with the phone at 80% charge, see what happens.
Wapping, my phone has the battery low power mode switched off, you mentioned yours was switched on. Just a thought I maybe completely wrong and have never used any form of wireless charging previously.

Did your iPhone 13 Pro Max, charge on the cradle when you didn’t start with a fully charged phone?

Did your iPhone 13 Pro Max, charge on the cradle when you didn’t start with a fully charged phone?

mine didnt, or S22 ultra. Not a powerful enough output top charge the S22. The 13 PM didnt sit flush enough.

It did slow the drain though if navigating.

Back
Top Bottom