Old question... What tyres?

roadchefbob and Onali, what did you have fitted before?

Pilot Road 5's. Before that Anekee 3
They returned 10K miles. So looking forward to seeing what I get from the 6's.
Strange thing was both tyres were shot at the same time. Normally get two rears for a front.

Thanks.
Had Road 5s and a couple of sets Anakee 3s on my Crosstourer. 5s were very good but wore quite quickly, and i think im in the minority that besides the noise, i liked the Anakee 3s, lasted for ages too.

I Liked the Anekee 3 too. Put over 100K miles on them. Just too loud up front.

I'm with Stick and Snelly - CTA3. Just brilliant. Massive improvement on handling and confidence, plus plenty of miles on them...

Just changed my rear CTA early as I'm about to head for Spain. It had done 7k miles, and still had 3mm tread. Front will get to Spain and back I hope, hence almost 10k miles!

Another thumbs up for the CTA 3s. The best tyre for the GS/A imo, they are the best and most confidence inspiring tyre yet. They hold the line perfectly when lent over in the bends. Enjoy your trip to Spain Martin.

If you want fast turn in and all round grip the Michelin Road 6 hit the spot. Most tyres are good these days but I like a 'pointed' profile for agility rather than a 'rounded' profile for stability.

If you want fast turn in and all round grip the Michelin Road 6 hit the spot. Most tyres are good these days but I like a 'pointed' profile for agility rather than a 'rounded' profile for stability.

Have you previously tried the Road 5 to compare? Agreed about the pointed profile, I scraped my pegs on both sides the other day and still have chicken strips left. I prefer tyres like this profile compared to the something like the Roadtec 01

Since I bought my first new BMW in 2011 the dealer has always pushed Michelin tyres, however, when I was in a few weeks back they had all the literature out for Dunlops.

We will see I still have a brand new set of Mutants in the loft which were replacements after the Meridian debacle, never got them on the 1200 as had already fitted Continental TA 3's which I never wore out before it went in part exchange

CTA3 will out last the chocolate PR5 :green gri:green gri just :D main thing about the pointy profile of the PR5 was the fast wear ie it seemed to get the bishops hat rather quickly unlike the Conti causing front issues early on but this was in Spain over 5 days.

I actually favour the more linear feeling turn in, IE more even than dropping in quickly, which i recall is how the Anakees felt. I do remember the Road5s on my Crosstourer surprising me at the first roundabout with the way the bike fell in. Obviuosly i got used to it and did really rate those tyres, especially in the wet.

I actually favour the more linear feeling turn in, IE more even than dropping in quickly, which i recall is how the Anakees felt. I do remember the Road5s on my Crosstourer surprising me at the first roundabout with the way the bike fell in. Obviuosly i got used to it and did really rate those tyres, especially in the wet.

You might like the Roadtec 01 then

Have you previously tried the Road 5 to compare? Agreed about the pointed profile, I scraped my pegs on both sides the other day and still have chicken strips left. I prefer tyres like this profile compared to something like the Roadtec 01

Road 5 similar profile and turn in. But it's not a drop in. It's more about the response to input, in that there is no delay and it's predictable. As someone said, a couple of posts ago, once you are familiar they become normal!

Since I bought my first new BMW in 2011 the dealer has always pushed Michelin tyres, however, when I was in a few weeks back they had all the literature out for Dunlops.

We will see I still have a brand new set of Mutants in the loft which were replacements after the Meridian debacle, never got them on the 1200 as had already fitted Continental TA 3's which I never wore out before it went in part exchange

I ran Mutants over the past 6mos through winter on a R1250R. The Mutants have a nice profile which makes them feel great side-to-side. They have extremely stiff sidewalls and a very sticky compound. The downside of this is that when leant over, they grip well but because there is very little sidewall flex, the tyre relies on chemical compound grip and offers very little feedback. I never had confidence in them as they felt skittish and it was hard to feel where their limit was. I also found the DTC light flashing a lot which was unnerving. I would take a slightly less grippy but more predictable tyre next time… confidence at lean is vital.

I opted for the Conti T A 3s in the end. Was between them and the Road 6s to be honest, I’ve not heard a bad word about them for grip and mileage and the came in about £50 cheaper.
Plan to get them fitted next month. Thanks for all the advice.

I have had PR5's which had average wear 4-5K but front wore out more quickly than I had expected. Was told by the tire importer tech support that modern tyres are no longer 'two rears before to one front'. Also had my first puncture for several years. Advised by Linds Norwich they say more punctures on PR's. I was worried that the carcase of PR's was not as robust as some other tyres so went for another option when they wore out. Have now been using Conti trail attack 3's for the last year based on previous good feedback from this group. Agree, great tyre, cornering very inspiring, wear seems to be OK. Would now buy again then these wear out

I’ve heard this about punctures on Road 5s several times. I had a set on my Crosstourer and they were very good but as you found wear was high and the front wore quicker and oddly.
Good to hear another favourable opinion on the contis

Just as an alternative the Scorpion Trail II seem a great tyre as well , never used them on the GS but have them on my V4 Multi and they are brilliant , especially the front , feels so planted and sticks like shot to a blanket.

Had Scorpions on my CT after a fellow owner had a pair goi g cheap. Not bad at all.

Just as an alternative the Scorpion Trail II seem a great tyre as well , never used them on the GS but have them on my V4 Multi and they are brilliant , especially the front , feels so planted and sticks like shot to a blanket.

One of my favorite tyres, I guess you haven't done one of your spanish trips on them yet. They don't have the outright grip of a PR5 or CTA but they do talk to you a lot more so you feel safe getting to the edge. In 30+deg that lovely soft compound reaches it's limit sooner than the others, in the UK it's never an issue.

One of my favorite tyres, I guess you haven't done one of your spanish trips on them yet. They don't have the outright grip of a PR5 or CTA but they do talk to you a lot more so you feel safe getting to the edge. In 30+deg that lovely soft compound reaches it's limit sooner than the others, in the UK it's never an issue.

They work really well on the V4 , better than the CTA , which surprised me , the front is so planted and never had any slide issues ( yet lol) Still off to Spain but not until September as had issues and had to cancel the June trip. Interesting point about the heat issue tho.....may well go back to CTA for Spain as they work so well in the heat.

Back
Top Bottom