Shakey unsupervised USA

The other alternativer is to dump the 1150 at the dealers and buy / hire a bike ( antything if you want to get going :nenau)

run it to the end of the trip, and then sell it.

then contact the dealer where you left the 1150 and get it shipped home

The other alternativer is to dump the 1150 at the dealers and buy / hire a bike ( antything if you want to get going :nenau)

run it to the end of the trip, and then sell it.

then contact the dealer where you left the 1150 and get it shipped home

It's never quite as easy as that and effing expensive!!

It's never quite as easy as that and effing expensive!!

Indeeed but see post #33

I know that its not the best option, but if its the difference between trip over and carrying on .... what would you do ?

Not heard anything from Shakey since last week, when he said that he was driving to Georgia to pick up a 2nd hand gearbox.

Sorry guys i have been a little absent this week trying to get the ride back on.

When the bearing went it smashed a hole in the gear box case so the box is properly buggered. I was quoted about 5/6k and two weeks to get a new one from Germany so went down the second hand route. We found one in Steves motorcycle salvage in TIFTON Georgia. It was over priced at $850 dollars but being desperate i hired a car and drove over night to be at the yard for when they opened the next morning. When i got there they spent two hours trying to separate the transmission from the drive shaft assembly. In the end he said that he was happy for me to take the whole thing, like he was doing me a favour ( i would have to pay the extra labour to my mechanic to sort it. When i got back to Tennessee with that box the mechanic took one look at it and said that it was scrap. The drive shaft was seized solid and where the breaker had been trying to separate it they had damaged it beyond repair.
I found another one in Wisconsin yesterday so took a flight from the local airport here to Chicago then hired another car. The guy with the transmission got out of bed at 1 am and drove 100 miles to meet me in Milwaukee. I then drove like a nutter the 650 miles to get the box to the garage by 12 am hoping that the mechanic here could get me back on the road today. A very long night and a very expensive trip but when i got back i found out that BMW had missed the main oil seal off of the order for the other parts that the garage had ordered, no one noticed until today. The earliest that they can get the seal now is Tuesday so i am stuck here until Wednesday at least. Total time stationary now is six days with another three days down to come. I have to look at my route again now to see where i will be able to pick it up again next week.
I will have a go at posting some images on here but please check out the you tube channel “shakey unsupervised” i will post a new vlog later today that covers this whole saga.

Attachments

• 004485F1-EF6A-4ED1-A621-6CC7A1A08F85.jpeg
    004485F1-EF6A-4ED1-A621-6CC7A1A08F85.jpeg
    34.5 KB · Views: 361
  • D5C8904A-4475-4823-B3DE-B3925FFCB20A.jpeg
    D5C8904A-4475-4823-B3DE-B3925FFCB20A.jpeg
    21.2 KB · Views: 340
So sorry to hear this .
More like trip of a strifetime at the moment !!
Hopefully you’ll be back up and running mid week .

Well Shakey well done for your determination. This will go down as a memorable trip. As Arsey says above I hope you are back up and running soon.

Steve

Here’s hoping the refitting goes according plan without any other nasty surprises.

What an absolute let down and loss of precious time.
To say nothing of the cost.

You should have done what I said days ago and set the bastard thing on fire, then hired something to ride your dream trip on.

Really hope you get this sorted, mate....went through something similar when the final drive on my 1150 crapped the bed at Nordkapp in 2017. Eventually got it sorted but totally screwed up our planned trip! :beerjug:

Hope you get it sorted soon, have just watched your YouTube vid :thumb2

This is your adventure. Meeting folk that are great and not so great. Really liked your latest episode, especially the end montage. Hope the hire car fine wasn't too much.

Bloody hell,

I can quite see why they dont want to leave you unsupervised :D:D

Hope the new box goes well

What an adventure ! Hope the best is just to come when you get going again .

The shit stuff is part of the adventure, people you meet, how you deal with things, new places etc...... enjoy and keep up with the You Tube :beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom