Note to self....avoid Eurostar!

gerarddwatts

huge member
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Had a bit of an adventure over the last few days, but not on a bike.....

Wifey and I went down from Dunkeld to Euston on the sleeper......ok, but a bit neat in the room for a grown man and slinky wife...across to St Pancras at the suggested time and then stood in a slowly moving queue for just over 2 hours to get on the train. The bottleneck was (naturally) the 2 french rozzers checking the passengers passports and Covid certificates/apps for at least 2 trains worth of folk. Train left late.
The train bit was great, only a few minutes late into Amsterdam.
Been through/round Amsterdam from Ijmuiden plenty of times, but haven't been into the city for years., and thoroughly enjoyed a few days exploring; sights, culture etc.
Top tip: get a pass for the trams/buses etc, a great way to get about.
If you want to see the Anne Frank museum you may have to book a time some days/weeks in advance, same for Van Goch and Rijksmuseum but less in advance.
Had several canal trips....the different options are worth trying as they go slightly different routes.
A great few days, helped by terrific weather.
Then to the Eurostar....they obviously have spent a lot of money on the Amsterdam Centraal terminal, but whatever posessed them to not continue the roof along to the main station end! Given that customers have to queue to get on, and given that the sun doesn't shine every day in Amsterdam, it will be a shitty wait in the wet...
Then the return....
The timings were such that we should have had several hours between getting off the Eurostar and getting on the sleeper. Enough time for a decent supper...
The Eurostar train we were on got slower and then stopped.....then went slowly....then stopped....repeat...plainly not well. Eventually they told us that our train would terminate at Bruxelles...or Brussels as you may know it. There we would be put on one of the 2 trains from Bruxelles to St Pancras, the first one should give us enough time to get to Euston, the second definitely not, meaning a night in London. Obviously virtually everyone on the (nearly full) Amsterdam train had a compelling reason to be on the first one. It would come down to the athleticism of the passengers to get to the front of the line at Eurostar Bruxelles for new tickets, security and border control....again.
Luckliy my prowess at making progress, together with extensive training of the wife in the skills required for steering a suitcase and carrying a rucsac proved suficient to get us on the first train, and we made it to St Panras with an hour spare to get to Euston. Plenty. Sadly little drink and no grub on the Eurostar. Fail. Luckily we had overstocked with buns, juice etc in Amsterdam. We also will get a refund of 50% of this leg from Eurostar.
Onto the sleeper....for this 'leg' I had booked a double; this was very good with more room than the southbound journey, as well as being next to the clubcar and bar! Few....expensive.... drams and a half decent nights kip until the alarm at 5am.
Back to a chilly Dunkeld to get picked up at 6 am.

So would I go on Eurostar again? Short answer...no.
The train itself is great....180-190mph across northern France, Belgium etc, but the terminal arrangements are work in progress. I accept waiting around, but waiting around, and waiting in a very slowly moving queue, are different things. Not for me.
I am happy that the UK Govt had refused to bail out this (French) company during covid, and the sooner they are replaced as operators, the better.

Sorry to hear you had problems.
We too, love a wander round Amsterdam.
We always drive to Port-of-Tyne, leave the car in the secure parking and get on the ferry as foot passengers.
Into Ijmuiden in the morning and get the bus into Amsterdam.

And thats what I'll do another time. I had a trip booked pre covid planning to go via my dad in Sussex, and thus a credit note. Sadly Pa dropped off the twig . Another time it's not worth the (expensive) trip to London.

I am happy that the UK Govt had refused to bail out this (French) company during covid, and the sooner they are replaced as operators, the better.

So you had one (1) bad experience and we should lose the ~2 hours comfy travel option between Central London and Central Paris? :D

True.

So you had one (1) bad experience and we should lose our beloved train operator? :)

I like the Eurostar to Bruxelles, Paris, Lille, Amsterdam and Marseille. I have (touch wood) never had a significant problem or delay on it. I have not been on it since the Covid regulations were put in place. Would I chose it over flying and driving? Yes.

PS Good tips on things to see and do in Amsterdam. Lose five points for no pictures of your lunch.

I’ve travelled Eurostar before , not had an issue was a few years ago, hopefully they won’t sack all the staff and replace them with £2 an hour people

My daughter visiting Brussels next week via Eurostar. Hope her journey is a lot less eventful.

As I said, the train part of the job is great, it's the management of the waiting that was a fail....and no grub.....
I can see that if you are within spitting distance of London it would be an attractive proposition to jump on and whizz to foreign speedily. I am a railway fan anyway, but not a fan of queueing for 2 hours at my time of life....AND today is my last day of paid employment....ever!
I see that there is another contender for running services in the offing....perhaps healthy competition may stir them up a bit?
The sleeper to and from London is a fine way to travel....highly reccommended....much improved over my last sleeper train experience 35 years ago!
An interesting experience, but logistically, from up here, probably marginal. Now to claim my refund!

To avoid airports and give a Christmas present to the planet, I trained Lausanne--Gare du Lyon--taxi to Gare du Nord--Eurostar to St Pancras--Kings X to York. Relaxing if long journey and good Christmas with family.
Was booked for return on 29/12, when on 24/12 Trainline informed me that Eurostar had cancelled the middle leg of the journey. Quick rethink and booked York-MAN and Easyjet MAN-GVA.
Trainline immediately refunded in full two parts of the return journey but not Eurostar, who said it would take a month. Still waiting. Exchanged numerous emails and eventually offered voucher but no refund even though it was they who cancelled.
If you browse reviews of Eurostar, you will find many equally disatisfied customers.
Would I book again. No. That is a shame because the outward journey was a pleasure.
As has been said this is a management problem, which will only be solved by a change of ownership.

Should have wished you a happy retirement, Gerry. If you get a refund let me know how you twisted their arm.

Thanks Jim.
Having great difficulty with refund! The link they sent me fails and their automated refund system keeps rejecting my application.
I'll have to try and ring them, which the reviews tell me will be hard work!
PS booked our hotel in Italy ...Desenzano..this am...are you still up for a meet up on the way?

Thanks Jim.
Having great difficulty with refund! The link they sent me fails and their automated refund system keeps rejecting my application.
I'll have to try and ring them, which the reviews tell me will be hard work!
PS booked our hotel in Italy ...Desenzano..this am...are you still up for a meet up on the way?

Desenzano. Nice part of the world. I stayed in the hotel Europa right on the lake front. Lovely view.

As Steve says nice part of the world. Jen and I had a week in Sirmione, just next door, in the nineties. Am expecting call to go for my medical anytime. V strict physical and mental of about 45 mins to retain my licence. Am hopeful but if I fail won't be riding/driving anywhere anymore. So no big plans until that's behind me one way or another. Looks like you might be overnighting around Stuttgart if you're going over the Brenner. Beginning of July as usual? Let me know. A stretch on an e-bike. If worst comes to worst will buy season ticket for self and e-bike on Swissrail: a fraction of the price of running car and two motos.

Back
Top Bottom