Bikes that appreciate

I would have thought it to be less than £400 new and it would have been in the old money so harder to compare but that would be way ahead of inflation if it sells for the guide price.

Every time that I think "I wish I still had.........." I remind myself of how much it costs to store something. I work for several self store companies managing access control and see good money after bad storing old bikes and cars at a £1000+ a year.

All of a sudden I love old scooters.

I think that a 1974 Ducati 750 super sport might just have been the buy of the century.
Some change hands for well over £100k

Attachments

• 9EDCE41F-91BD-40DF-9E89-D53FFD9A0F57.jpeg
    9EDCE41F-91BD-40DF-9E89-D53FFD9A0F57.jpeg
    107.2 KB · Views: 433
  • 8F7DDC85-B692-4D39-A4EB-A980A406BA7E.jpeg
    8F7DDC85-B692-4D39-A4EB-A980A406BA7E.jpeg
    69.8 KB · Views: 441
Plenty of posts here have included people saying "I wish I'd kept my XXX because look at what it would be worth today".

But I wonder whether any bikes can beat this. What would you have paid for a 1965 scooter in, say, 1980? £400?

I must be missing something as I don't see any special significance or value in this scooter :confused:

I would have thought it to be less than £400 new and it would have been in the old money so harder to compare but that would be way ahead of inflation if it sells for the guide price.

Every time that I think "I wish I still had.........." I remind myself of how much it costs to store something. I work for several self store companies managing access control and see good money after bad storing old bikes and cars at a £1000+ a year.

Old money or new money, makes no difference. £1 = £1. :nenau

But a pound in the olden days filled a tank with petrol, today a little less.

I must be missing something as I don't see any special significance or value in this scooter :confused:

You and me both. I can see why Vincent’s and Broughs are classics, and valuable, likewise the Ducati 750SS, but the whole scooter thing is just a fad and the bottom is likely going to fall out of it. Same could be said on the Honda Cub- made by the million, indestructible (I and my mates tried really hard) and still, like the Lambretta, not especially rare. And another thing, I bet that scooter is in better condition than it was when it rolled out of the factory. It’s been over-restored.

You and me both. I can see why Vincent’s and Broughs are classics, and valuable, likewise the Ducati 750SS, but the whole scooter thing is just a fad and the bottom is likely going to fall out of it. Same could be said on the Honda Cub- made by the million, indestructible (I and my mates tried really hard) and still, like the Lambretta, not especially rare. And another thing, I bet that scooter is in better condition than it was when it rolled out of the factory. It’s been over-restored.

No more than two years ago I got involved with a bloke selling a few bikes, one was a C90 (square headlight) all original, with just 180 miles on it from new. One owner plus all the paperwork. Everyone told him it was worth £4K plus and he advertised it thus on ebay, Car and Classic and the C90 forum. After tw@ after tw@ he EVENTUALLY got £2.5K and he was glad to see the back of it.

As ever, advertised price and what someone will actually give you for it can be a worlds apart.

Way too many rose tinted glasses around these days and traders wanting to talk up anything ... Sometimes I buy classic car rags for a change and some of the bollocks they speak is brilliant... On the one hand they have an auction page telling you what overpriced crap is selling or coming up and on the other they bemoan the "ordinary" punter getting priced out of the market... Seeing the complete panshite over "classic" Ford's has been something .. anyone for a mid 90s fiesta...? 🙄 Also a bit of classic patriotism is how 80s 90s Rovers are the best thing ever....! So good they went spectacularly bust ...

Back
Top Bottom