Athens and back

Screenshot 2022-04-13 13.24.29.jpg

A slight change of plan. Non-EU seems to be a lot of trouble and since I've never been either way to Greece then since I've little time to organise this I thought I'd take the path of least resistance. I've copied some of this from others' trips but I'm not sure of specific places/roads/highlights. For this leg of the trip, I'duse motorways to south Austria or thereabouts and then again through Greece. I don't have the time to meander through Germany/Austria and I want to save Greece for family trips in the future. So that would be 3 days on the motorway at the start, one at the end and 6 or 7 or so curvy days in between. That 6-7 days would be 17-1800km, which seems reasonable.

Homeward I'd do the ferry from Patras to Ancona and then maybe 3 days to get back to Rotterdam.

Any thoughts? I'm definitely open to suggestions. Oh and no camping for me, B&Bs/hotels all the way.

thanks

View attachment 531113

A slight change of plan. Non-EU seems to be a lot of trouble and since I've never been either way to Greece then since I've little time to organise this I thought I'd take the path of least resistance. I've copied some of this from others' trips but I'm not sure of specific places/roads/highlights. For this leg of the trip, I'duse motorways to south Austria or thereabouts and then again through Greece. I don't have the time to meander through Germany/Austria and I want to save Greece for family trips in the future. So that would be 3 days on the motorway at the start, one at the end and 6 or 7 or so curvy days in between. That 6-7 days would be 17-1800km, which seems reasonable.

Homeward I'd do the ferry from Patras to Ancona and then maybe 3 days to get back to Rotterdam.

Any thoughts? I'm definitely open to suggestions. Oh and no camping for me, B&Bs/hotels all the way.

thanks

Rather than going that long way down you may want to consider following the Adriatic coast. We went to Greece that way. 2 days to Maltatal , south -east Austria. 4 or 5 days down the coast, you’re in Greece near Igoumenitsa. We did it that way and it was great.

PS. If you’re going from Rotterdam it’s 2 days to Maltatal, not 3.

This is really happening now; outward tunnel and Ferry are booked. I'm doing it the other way round to what I said so I'm using @jeff's route to Athens via Ancona at the end of May, staying for 10 days with family in Greece then meandering back via Bulgaria and Romania in mid-June. The reason for the change is that I've more chance of warmer weather and some of the high passes are more likely to be, well, passable. I've found lots of info on Romania but not so much on Bulgaria. The plan is to stay 3 or 4 days in each and the same getting home. It's been a while since I did a long trip; the last one was Spain on a Rocket 3 so this should be a bit different. :)

Missing best part.
Adriatic coast, MNE, Albania

Poslano sa mog SM-N950F koristeći Tapatalk

Missing best part.
Adriatic coast, MNE, Albania

I'm heading your way early June!

I'm now doing an anti-clockwise tour ( I was going the other way but the Romanian passes may not be open) from Italy to Croatia, Greece, Romania, Poland and back to Assen (MotoGP time)!

I'll be in Split till 05.06 probably. Let me lnow when you are close!!

Once in Athens, the ferry to Cyprus will be up and running starting June, we've got some great roads for a few weeks holiday.

Back
Top Bottom