LV/Britannia Euro breakdown cover at reduced rate via Moneysupermarket

wessie

Reaction score
LV Britannia often come near or at the top of customer feedback surveys.

With 2 planned trips to Europe this year and that my current breakdown cover is due for renewal, I have just looked to see if an annual European breakdown policy is worthwhile. The Nationwide bank account with added insurance is not for me as they want my good arm and leg to add cover for existing medical stuff to the travel policy. As posted elsewhere, I have bought an annual travel policy from Puffin, underwritten by Axa for £67 (£37 without the medical loading).

I always start by finding the lowest possible price with a search engine, comparing single trip policies with annual. This year, as most years, Moneysupermarket has the best prices. For 1 vehicle, annual UK & Europe breakdown cover is as little as £43 a year, with a £40 excess. I have never heard of the first few brokers or their underwriters so scrolled down the list for a familiar name. A tenner more gets the same cover from LV, so I click through to the LV website. In addition to cover for my RS in Europe & UK I am offered an add on for personal cover in any vehicle in the UK only. A total of £67. This is a lot less that any comparable package from known entities such as Startrescue or direct to LV themselves at £190! Add a tenner to remove the £40 excess.

I can't see anywhere they have cut corners. The territorial limits are all of Europe, not just the EU. Even Russia west of the Urals and Ukraine! You can compare the 2 different policy wordings at https://www.lv.com/breakdown-cover/existing-customers

Good one.

Proof, if any were needed, that a dollop of self-help, imagination and little bit effort does bring a satisfactory conclusion. There again, a rapidly pumped out “Who is well cheep mate?” saves any thought at all.

Thanks wessie, but I don't know how you got it that cheap as they want £142 for European cover.
Am I missing something? Pray tell me where I went wrong....

Just got another quote, same price

Attachments

• 2022-04-18.jpg
    2022-04-18.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 267
Reminds me,Thanks to Wessie I got the cheaper price plus £13 for the personal cover last week.
Thanks again :beerjug:

and the rates for this year are even lower - renewal next month and the premium has gone down from £67 to £60

that is Euro cover on one named vehicle (which you can change for free a time - I flipped from my RS to the XR last September and will flip back to the RS on renewal)

also personal cover in any vehicle in the UK

I forgot to add, if you have a spouse or partner then the £13 add on gives them personal cover in the UK as well

and the rates for this year are even lower - renewal next month and the premium has gone down from £67 to £60

that is Euro cover on one named vehicle (which you can change for free a time - I flipped from my RS to the XR last September and will flip back to the RS on renewal)

also personal cover in any vehicle in the UK

Been trying to work out if that personal cover also covers other vehicles I own, or only vehicles I don't, two cars, bike and van would get expensive if they needed separate cover?

Been trying to work out if that personal cover also covers other vehicles I own, or only vehicles I don't, two cars, bike and van would get expensive if they needed separate cover?

yes, it cover you in *any* vehicle in the UK that meets the definition of vehicle in the T&C - even motor homes and vans up to a certain size I believe

"If you have purchased Personal Cover (see Section H), you will be covered in any vehicle in which you or your spouse/partner are the driver or a non-paying passenger, provided the vehicle is within the UK geographical limits at the time of the breakdown."

Are you struggling with the word "any"

yes, it cover you in *any* vehicle in the UK that meets the definition of vehicle in the T&C - even motor homes and vans up to a certain size I believe

"If you have purchased Personal Cover (see Section H), you will be covered in any vehicle in which you or your spouse/partner are the driver or a non-paying passenger, provided the vehicle is within the UK geographical limits at the time of the breakdown."

Are you struggling with the word "any"

I don't trust insurance companies that much, what you and I might believe "any" to mean, where an insurance company is concerned it may mean something totally different when you read the small print. Also need cover for the sprog when it borrows a car, that seems to be a bit more difficult.

I don't trust insurance companies that much, what you and I might believe "any" to mean, where an insurance company is concerned it may mean something totally different when you read the small print. Also need cover for the sprog when it borrows a car, that seems to be a bit more difficult.

the insurer is not exempt from the literal meaning of words in the English language - what exactly would be the point of personal cover if it did not cover one's own personal vehicle?

as for the sprog, does it use more than one vehicle? One named vehicle is covered for any (that word again) driver. If you need both vehicles covered for any driver then play with the filters on Moneysupermarket to see if there is a suitable "family policy"

Once again, thanks Wessie. Got breakdown insurance, from Nova, through Money supermarket for £30.99.
£100 cheaper than the nearest company, I found, direct.

Back
Top Bottom