1100 RT speedo stopped working

Phil Reynolds

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
The bike has been sitting in my garage for the last seven months and took it for its MOT today. I noticed the speedo had stopped working?
Any ideas why? Is it cable driven or sensor fault?
I haven’t had a chance to look yet so any help would be useful.
Tia.

My guess cable as my R1150GS was cable, should be easy enough to fix. It connects at the front wheel, probably on the left side, the other end of the cable at the back of the speedo.

An idea when replacing cables or electrical wires etc, disconnect both ends, tie a bit of strong nylon cord to one end and pull the cable out, leaving the nylon cord showing you the route the cable took.
Get new cable, tie on the nylon cord and pull back in reverse, really helps in remembering the route.

My guess cable as my R1150GS was cable, should be easy enough to fix. It connects at the front wheel, probably on the left side, the other end of the cable at the back of the speedo.

An idea when replacing cables or electrical wires etc, disconnect both ends, tie a bit of strong nylon cord to one end and pull the cable out, leaving the nylon cord showing you the route the cable took.
Get new cable, tie on the nylon cord and pull back in reverse, really helps in remembering the route.
Ok thanks.

it will be the inner cable snapped ,cheeply bought on ebay and easy to replace,you can get your hand up through the forks to turn it off at the back of the clocks.

wasnt for me, the damn cable snaped because the end bit in the wheel rusted into the outer cable bit of water in there did a world of issue as then the drive in the wheel stripped all the teeth off the plastic drive wheel simple fix, new cable and new drive !!!!!

It could also be the small piece of steel on the speedo drive that fits into the slot on the bottom of the speedo cable,mine sheared off completely.

Back
Top Bottom