UK Prescription in Spain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davel

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Our little group will be touring Spain soon and one of the guys cannot eat or drink and feeds through a stomach tube, so we normally split his feeds between us all on our bikes, as they’re pretty bulky.

With no stops planned as yet and the trip likely to be two weeks, do you know if he could travel with a prescription and collect at any pharmacy over there ?

Any other suggestions would be welcome

I do this the other way round: European prescription here in UK pharmacies.
As long as the doctor's "number" (next to the signature) is on the prescription, they are happy.

Try contacting the fellow’s Travel insurer, they’ll probably know how to go about it. Or his own hospital or doctor might assist?

I wonder if a Spanish chemist would recognise a UK prescription, anymore than my chemist in E1 would recognise one from Spain or Finland if you just walked in off the street. But, that being said, the fellow cannot be unique and Spanish suffers coming to the UK must - I guess - manage, when faced with the same challenge.

The wife of a friend of mine had a heart and lung transplant in the UK; she went to live in France, picking up the same (or very similar) drugs she needed every day. That alone tells me it should be possible.

Er-minio has given the answer…. Typical bloody foreigner, coming over here to get his Italian prescriptions filled :D He’ll be given a house next!

:beerjug:

Last edited:
Worth checking that pharmacies in Spain actually carry the same lines as they may not or the items may be special order and take a few days to arrive at the pharmacy.

My wife forgot one of her meds (wharfarin) and needed a prescription in Austria, no problem getting a script from a local doctor BUT wharfarin is not prescribed or stocked in Austrian pharmacies, luckily we were staying there for 10 days and they were able to get it from Germany within a couple of days

Er-minio has given the answer…. Typical bloody foreigner, coming over here to get his Italian prescriptions filled :D He’ll be given a house next!

And a new motorbike!

:D :D :D

Made me think though... for OP's clarity:
with "prescription" I mean, I have the letter from my Italian doctor, but I pay for the medicines.
Not sure (never had to try) if it works with prescriptions paid by the health service.

Also: another "trick" is to ask the doctor to use the generic/international name for the medicine/product needed. They are not always the same. Pharmacists will normally recognise them, but... to be on the safe side.

I Googled: UK prescriptions Spain.

The news on the UK government’s website (ie not some forum with, my mate says) is encouraging, maybe not surprisingly. Here is a screenshot of the most cheerful bit of the blurb… Getting prescriptions….

d6c7bf9ac6814ad22ad4b77e93ac6961.png

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/healthcare-for-uk-nationals-visiting-spain

As I am retiring in less than a month, I am going over to my spanish house for a couple of months to wind down. I am taking 2 months of my meds with me, along with the doctor's perscription. I would do the same if I were going on the bike (however just decant out of the boxes into either daily pots or just in their original bubble packs). Although both the French and Spanish authorities are monumental pains in the arses, they don't usually fcuk about with meds.

Thanks for that Wapping.

The liquid feeds are quite bulky and he’s on five feeds a night through a machine ��

He really cannot afford to lose any more weight - he is absolutely a walking skeleton already

Sorry to hear about your friend’s predicament. I’m sure:

A. He and you all will enjoy the jaunt, not least as you’ll all have helped him out.

B. You’ll an ‘easy’ way to do it.

Let me know if you want to close the thread, before some wit or other suggests liquidising a Ginster.

It's fine thanks.

We're a small group of four or five and so we all plan to suit his needs.

He tends to ride about 100-150 miles a day and then recuperates after a couple of days whilst we do whatever.

Jokes are always welcome...

He tends to ride about 100-150 miles a day and then recuperates after a couple of days whilst we do whatever.

He does better than some bods I know, who are fit and healthy (relative terms).

Just to throw a spanner in the works, as the plan seems too simple for the moment, are the food packs temperature sensitive?

Spain gets hot, normally your nose will tell you when food is off but if your friend is “eating” through a tube he won’t be able to tell if there’s anything wrong with his food, this could be a problem if they’re traveling in panniers etc.

For once I’m not joking :nenau

Just to throw a spanner in the works, as the plan seems too simple for the moment, are the food packs temperature sensitive?

Spain gets hot, normally your nose will tell you when food is off but if your friend is “eating” through a tube he won’t be able to tell if there’s anything wrong with his food, this could be a problem if they’re traveling in panniers etc.

For once I’m not joking :nenau

We have kids at work that are enteral fed. Storage is 5-25C for sealed food packs as detailed here https://www.tube-feeding.com/Storage-Stock-And-Ordering/

That’s a really good point.

When we were in Aviemore last August, the fluids were kept in a fridge when we were stopping anywhere.

He’d feed and rest whilst we ate / drank locally.

Now he feeds during the night apparently so not sure how it’s going to work as he hooks up to a feeding device.

Anyway, plenty to think about

Well it seems his dietician has worked out a routine for him so he’s hopefully sorted.

We’ve all planned to share his feeds on our bikes whilst travelling. Not sure about temperature issues but he’ll know .

So ferry booked for September.

Cheers all.

I’ll close it now as hopefully all good

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom