Round tour: Poland, Baltic States, Finland, Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Germany. 7,200 miles (give or take) 35 days’ ish……

Wapping

Reaction score
Round tour: Poland, Baltic States, Finland, Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Germany. 7,200 miles (give or take) 35 days’ ish……

Or the other way around, of course.

Several times bods request ideas for a Baltic / Nordic jaunt. This, lifted from Tourenfahrer magazine’s May 2022 edition, might give them some ideas.

Download the route or use the more detailed map at:

https://www.tourenfahrer.de/tour-datenbank/tour/regen-fest-1142/detail/

The instagram story thing is maybe worth a look, too. The pair of them did it, two-up on a Harley Davidson. So, a rufty-tufty GS’er will manage.

056abc9adf96b0a3bcf071d38aa24fa4.png

Would be great - if we had more than 90 days to enjoy it. :mad:

The bods in the article took

Dauer: 35-37 Tage

Which I translate as between 35 and 37 days….. um……. er…….. 36, perhaps? Maybe?……. Um……… er……… 40? At 35 days, that’s about 200 miles a day, average. If so, they probably were ticking off countries as a part of what seems to be some sort of world tour jaunt thing, perhaps? Whatever, it’ll maybe give folks some ideas, hopefully.

We did a very similar route in 2017. We added east Germany, Czechia and Slovakia first then North through Poland. In Finland we headed to the Baltic coast rather than straight up the middle. In Norway we got so fed up with the cost of everything we took the ferry at Larvik to Denmark rather than continue into the south of Norway and onto Sweden. Which means Sweden is still one of the few European countries I haven’t at least turned a wheel in.

We started on 31st May and got home on 12th July. So 6 weeks give or take. We moved most days only staying more than a night to do laundry or coz the weather was shite - which it often was. We camped probably 60% of the time, the other nights were mainly campsite huts with a few nice hotels thrown in here and there for a bit of lux and comfortable rumpy-pumpy.

It’s a great route with a big mix of scenery and cultures with costs varying from mega-mega cheap in Czechia and Poland to super-super pricey in Norway.

Edit…just looked at the OP again. No way is that 7,200 miles. Maybe 7200 km. I can’t remember my mileage - around 5,000 Garstang to Garstang if I had to put a figure on it.

It's been one of those trips that's been on my 'to do' list for years. Must get my arse in gear.

Austin, presume you meant July ?

We started on 31st May and got home on 12th June. So 6 weeks give or take.

Tricky to get the time of year right, got to balance spring snow melt, rain, summer mozzies and then late summer getting cold again. But get it right and some glorious country. Late summer for me, mozzies reduced and chilly nights worth it for nice days.

The only comment I'd make about Finland is that many of the roads are through the never ending forest so can seem like being in a tunnel after a while with no idea what is behind the trees. Any route that includes hills or lake or sea shores helps.

This is the route Im doing in July. Cant wait !

This is the route Im doing in July. Cant wait !
I know this is a bit late but did you get this trip done ? Just trawling through some Norway stuff and found this ...what a route ! Please let me know !

I know this is a bit late but did you get this trip done ? Just trawling through some Norway stuff and found this ...what a route ! Please let me know !
Yes, And it was a fantastic trip. In fact, I'm going back again next year.
I did a little 4 part video too.

Oh Brilliant .. just going to get my headphones ! 4 Parts !! ... I'll get back to you tomorrow. Very excited !

Oh Brilliant .. just going to get my headphones ! 4 Parts !! ... I'll get back to you tomorrow. Very excited ! Are you planning on going ?
I wouldn't get that excited !!! Just a few videos thrown together.

That was all just great to watch ! Thank you again for posting them up .. I left you a comment on your Ep 5 video. What I really liked is they wern't too long, just a few minutes AND no chatting no droning commentary which is what really bloody gets me ! I hope to get up to Nordkapp in the next 2/3 years. Planning the dates and and saving a bit of £ so I can mix and match the camping and the huts etc. That all made me smile thinking I will defineatly go. !! Cheers to you !

Thank you Rusty (y)
I look forward to your trip report. On that trip. I planned NOTHING ! Oh, The only thing we did, was to register with the Ferry app, Which saves a lot of time hopping on & off the continuous ferries. Other than that, Just made it up as we went. Next year, Im returning, Solo !

Thank you Rusty (y)
I look forward to your trip report. On that trip. I planned NOTHING ! Oh, The only thing we did, was to register with the Ferry app, Which saves a lot of time hopping on & off the continuous ferries. Other than that, Just made it up as we went. Next year, Im returning, Solo !
Even better ! Hand on heart I would look to do 3 weeks and go up the east coast of Sweden and back down the west coast of Norway. Family friends and a bit of work would allow 3 weeks but your mammoth tour would be too much. I would love to but no ! AND when I do I shall post it all on here ! Take care.

Back
Top Bottom