So good it has ruined biking

Spareparts

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
The R and the GS

After 3 GSes (2 x 1200 and 1x1250), I decided to take a break and try a R1250R the last 6 months. The R is a great bike: with the taller BMW Sports seat and ditch the awful PR4 standard fit tyres, and the R carves twisties with the best sportsbikes. In comfort. The R is really just a very mature sportsbike for those who no longer wish to be folded up origami-style but want the direct steering of traditional forks and a 17” front wheel. It has all the torque rich drive of the 1250 motor with the best gearing of any R1250 imho (it is 15% longer than that of the GS), and the geometry makes it downright fun - a short wheelbase combined with D-ESA keeps it on its nose and flicks from side-to-side like a hooligan in a grey suit. Many here may have ridden a RS but not the R, and although the RS has the same drivetrain it is vastly different in feel because the RS has a longer wheelbase tuned for motorways and A-roads instead of the B-road tomfoolery of the R. The up-handlebars of the R also make a big difference.

Just as I was thinking that the R was perhaps all the bike I needed, an upcoming offroad tour had me searching to make the R more GS-like and improve the ergos. Handlebar risers improve the steering position, and enable you to stand reasonably comfortably if needed for short times. But the biggest deficiency over rough ground came from the lack of suspension travel and 17” directness. All that made the R brilliant on tarmac were its undoing over rough ground. The reduced width handlebars compared to a GS also accentuate the direct steering and feedback that is too much over broken ground.

My GS’d R:
2d29d13136cc9c7ea0e789b65bba9693.jpg

A rideout with a good friend on his GS and me on the R really highlighted these differences. We swapped bikes over the same roads, and it was clear that the GS easily kept up with the R over the same tarmac. Whilst the R was a dynamic roadster, the GS was also a hoot like a giant motard. The R1250 drivetrain is certainly one of the best traffic-busting drivetrains out there with instant torque on-demand and the Paralever keeping squat to a minimum when aiming for the next 3-car overtake. But when the roads became broken and in patches downright sketchy, the weaknesses of the R came to the fore. The GS floats with remarkable aloofness and the wider handlebars slow the steering down fractionally to give you more mental time to navigate hazards. The GS 19” front calms where the R 17” jitters and thumps, and the GS Telelever enables you to maintain progress and control without backing off, whereas the R’s traditional USD forks (electronically damped and adjustable) still cause front end patter that has you backing off as it struggles to manage the broken surfaces.

Instead of trying to convert the R into a wannabe GS, I very quickly realised that the GS really does 95% of what the R does - minus 5% for the alacrity and excitement of a direct steering sportsbike - but the R only delivers 65% of what the GS does as the R fails to handle offroad/broken surfaces with confidence, lacks the same stretched out ergonomic comfort, and provides negligible wind and weather protection.

So by the end of that same day’s riding with my mate, we ended up at a Motorrad dealer. Supply chain shortages mean build-to-order GSes are a challenge and it is heavily rumoured that ECU-chip shortages may threaten availability of the LED headlights. Earlier that day the R had delivered a fractured performance that put it at risk, and my mind was made up that there was a reason I had already enjoyed nearly 75k previous miles from the Nurburgring to Romanian forests - on a trio of GSes. The boys at Reiten Motorrad were superb, and had a lovely 40y Bumblebee GS complete with all the farkles including the extra Shadow Billet 2 pack. A bit more tweaking to give it the fuller JPS-spec and I was happy.

But after all of this, I come away a bit sad. Just 2 weeks ago, I spent several days testing alternatives to the GS back-to-back. This included the KTM 890 Adv and 1290 Super Adventure S. Both of these are an embarrassment in build quality, with highly strung motors although good chassis. The Ducati Multistrada V4S was a stunning road bike. The V4 motor is a howler, but suffers from low down fueling that had it juddering at town speeds, and always wanting to stay above 5k rpm. But above that, it just stayed there and 10k rpm screaming like a total hooligan - epic motor that I found hard to ride slowly. My license would be gone by tomorrow. Notably, the Multi had the best aero package of any bike I’ve ridden with a standard screen.

So why am I sad? I am sad that the GS has taken the fun out of riding other motorbikes. It is just so good at doing everything really well. As an all round package, other bikes are always found wanting. The MultiV4 is a more intense and faster road apex hunter, but it doesn’t ride with the same comfort or less manic necessity of the GS when you need/want a bike to. The GS will scratch and play with the sportsbikes over any road, climb and wade through mountain forests, and soothe on the motorway when needed. It really is a jack-of-all-trades and master of doing everything in the top 5 percentile. There is no better bike out there… for now.

Thanks for reading.

/TLDR: If you are undecided, forget other bikes - the GS is the finest do-it-all motorbike yet made.

So here she is, my 4th GS… a JPS-spec Bumblebee. So great to be back.

6468baa0b23475006803c8aadaa46d2a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The GS will scratch and play with the sportsbikes over any road, climb and wade through mountain forests, and soothe on the motorway when needed. It really is a jack-of-all-trades and master of doing everything in the top 5 percentile. There is no better bike out there… for now.

Thanks for reading.

/TLDR: If you are undecided, forget other bikes - the GS is the finest do-it-all motorbike yet made

you just worked that out ?

me and an ex-friend , in the Alps , camping , loaded , full tanks , held off 2 600cc sport bikes, going up to col de la bonette , til the last couple of bends . they came over for a chat , said they were surprised we held them off , i said , go pick one up , he did , all he said was....FUCK ! , his mate went over , picked up the other one , and looked at the ground and shook his head.

they are do anything bikes .

Thanks for that, I am just about to buy an R and sell my GS!!

Al.

OP
When I rode your R and you on my GS TE Rallye I was slightly kinder and gave the R a 75% rating against the 95% all round capability of the GS. For me the R was a great little bike on most of our journey until we left Bury St Edmonds and traversed those little roads. Then I was hoping you would stop and give my GS back.

My only wish is that the GS was a tiny bit more exciting and a tiny bit better looking but there is no denying it's capabilities

Enjoy your latest GS.

Yep, i 100% agree.
I have other bikes. A 2007 Tiger that i bought at the launch night, a 1200 Speed Twin i bought nearly new last year, and a Yamaha 1700 Warrior.
The Warrior comes out with the sun, and i just bimble about looking cool (maybe only in my head) and is a totally different ride to the GS. The other two dont do anything better than the GS, and quite a few thing worse. I'll never sell the Tiger, but I really have no desire to ride it, maybe i will when its another 10 or 15 years older. The Speed Twin is ok on a sunny evening with my leather jacket and jeans and off to the local bike night. Other than that it does nothing as well as the GS, and thats after fitting just about every extra you can buy simply to make it look and ride like you hoped when you first saw one. On second thoughts it maybe equals the GS in looks, but that's all.

My GS is a 15 plate TB, and i cant even bring my self to buy a newer 1250. I dont ride using the bottom end of the revs, so i dont think i need the extra low down torque, and I'd probably need to add £10k to mine to get a nearly new GS, money i'd rather have in other bikes...........even if thy're not as good.

Stu

Nice Bumblebee :)
I have a 1250GS with the 719 option myself, what are the valve cover protectors you have fitted? And the hand guards? Do they fit okay with the 719 mirror mounts? thanks in anticipation.john

Cracking bike and I couldn’t agree with you more I’ve lost count the number of bikes I have been fortunate to own, from fizzys to sports bikes from k75s to rts and 1150gss the latest 1250 is such a stonking all round bike the only one you’ll ever need (my opinion) best of luck with your new bike , enjoy ��

you just worked that out ?

me and an ex-friend , in the Alps , camping , loaded , full tanks , held off 2 600cc sport bikes, going up to col de la bonette , til the last couple of bends . they came over for a chat , said they were surprised we held them off , i said , go pick one up , he did , all he said was....FUCK ! , his mate went over , picked up the other one , and looked at the ground and shook his head.

they are do anything bikes .

I was the first in my riding group to go GS, and then couldn’t believe what it did, then the others eventually capitulated and they too are riding GSes! It does things that it really shouldn’t.

Thanks for that, I am just about to buy an R and sell my GS!!

Al.

The R is lovely, don’t get me wrong, but it just doesn’t have the same range of competency. Try one and then report back!

OP
When I rode your R and you on my GS TE Rallye I was slightly kinder and gave the R a 75% rating against the 95% all round capability of the GS. For me the R was a great little bike on most of our journey until we left Bury St Edmonds and traversed those little roads. Then I was hoping you would stop and give my GS back.

My only wish is that the GS was a tiny bit more exciting and a tiny bit better looking but there is no denying it's capabilities

Enjoy your latest GS.

It takes some familiarisation to switch between Telelever and USD forks as you need to ride them differently. USD forks are capable of great things - I am NOT saying that they are inferior at all, they just have different strengths and they do offer better feedback. My final ride to the dealer to give the R over was a nail in the coffin - it struggled over the lovely Suffolk B-roads that the GS ate up on the way back.

Yep, i 100% agree.
I have other bikes. A 2007 Tiger that i bought at the launch night, a 1200 Speed Twin i bought nearly new last year, and a Yamaha 1700 Warrior.
The Warrior comes out with the sun, and i just bimble about looking cool (maybe only in my head) and is a totally different ride to the GS. The other two dont do anything better than the GS, and quite a few thing worse. I'll never sell the Tiger, but I really have no desire to ride it, maybe i will when its another 10 or 15 years older. The Speed Twin is ok on a sunny evening with my leather jacket and jeans and off to the local bike night. Other than that it does nothing as well as the GS, and thats after fitting just about every extra you can buy simply to make it look and ride like you hoped when you first saw one. On second thoughts it maybe equals the GS in looks, but that's all.

My GS is a 15 plate TB, and i cant even bring my self to buy a newer 1250. I dont ride using the bottom end of the revs, so i dont think i need the extra low down torque, and I'd probably need to add £10k to mine to get a nearly new GS, money i'd rather have in other bikes...........even if thy're not as good.

Stu

So hard to have just one bike - there is always the promise of something better/different/unique/etc. I still have and love my Ducati - it is positively frightening and life affirming in equal measure on a sunny day.

Nice Bumblebee :)
I have a 1250GS with the 719 option myself, what are the valve cover protectors you have fitted? And the hand guards? Do they fit okay with the 719 mirror mounts? thanks in anticipation.john

They are the Option 719 valve covers, except with black sliders instead of yellow. The handguards are MachineArtAuto ADV handguards, and yes they fit fine with the 719 mirror mounts. Don’t mind the yellow, but prefer JPS black + gold.

Cracking bike and I couldn’t agree with you more I’ve lost count the number of bikes I have been fortunate to own, from fizzys to sports bikes from k75s to rts and 1150gss the latest 1250 is such a stonking all round bike the only one you’ll ever need (my opinion) best of luck with your new bike , enjoy ��

The only bike I may need, but not the only one I want!

The R is lovely, don’t get me wrong, but it just doesn’t have the same range of competency. Try one and then report back!

Too late! I am picking new bike up next weekend.
I have tried both the 1250 & 1200r and have bought a fully loaded 1200R, can’t justify the extra 5k it would cost for 1250 the same spec as the 1200 I have bought.

I can see why the OP was embarrassed by the KTMs build quality compared to a BMW !
But I’m not sure how anybody would describe the latest 1290 motor as highly strung !!

Too late! I am picking new bike up next weekend.
I have tried both the 1250 & 1200r and have bought a fully loaded 1200R, can’t justify the extra 5k it would cost for 1250 the same spec as the 1200 I have bought.

Good choice given the option between the 2!

I can see why the OP was embarrassed by the KTMs build quality compared to a BMW !
But I’m not sure how anybody would describe the latest 1290 motor as highly strung !!

Sorry, I was referring to the 890. But the 1290 has shocking build quality, the 1290 does not punch as hard as the 1250 upto around 6/7k rpm, and the electronics intervention is so high thay there feels a detachment between motor and chassis. I suspect the simpler 1290 SAR may be a better or more homogeneous bike.

Good choice given the option between the 2!

Sorry, I was referring to the 890. But the 1290 has shocking build quality, the 1290 does not punch as hard as the 1250 upto around 6/7k rpm, and the electronics intervention is so high thay there feels a detachment between motor and chassis. I suspect the simpler 1290 SAR may be a better or more homogeneous bike.

Ok fair enough .
The build quality on my SAR is streets ahead of the last new BMW I owned .

What utter drivel.

I love my GS’s, always have, but I still get huge amounts of pleasure riding anything with 2 wheels and an engine, whether that be a hulking great Harley or a 50cc mobylette. The brilliance of the GS is that it is still flawed enough to be interesting whilst still being great enough to be a Swiss Army knife of bikes. There’s many a spectacular performing motorcycle that is nowt more than a fun sponge, so overwhelmingly capable, yet somehow a bit meh.

My list goes

1150GS
r800g/s
F650GS Dakar
1150GS
R100GS
R1150GSA
R1200GSA
R1250GSA

The best 2 bikes of them all for riding pleasure were the r80g/s and the F650GS Dakar.

Nice bike btw, enjoy :thumb I bought my wife a 40th Anniversary after I bought my GSA Rallye

Attachments

• 6080AA7C-84D7-46D6-8C98-1349E0622509.jpg
    6080AA7C-84D7-46D6-8C98-1349E0622509.jpg
    266.9 KB · Views: 1,619
What utter drivel.

I love my GS’s, always have, but I still get huge amounts of pleasure riding anything with 2 wheels and an engine, whether that be a hulking great Harley or a 50cc mobylette. The brilliance of the GS is that it is still flawed enough to be interesting whilst still being great enough to be a Swiss Army knife of bikes. There’s many a spectacular performing motorcycle that is nowt more than a fun sponge, so overwhelmingly capable, yet somehow a bit meh.

My list goes

1150GS
r800g/s
F650GS Dakar
1150GS
R100GS
R1150GSA
R1200GSA
R1250GSA

The best 2 bikes of them all for riding pleasure were the r80g/s and the F650GS Dakar.

Nice bike btw, enjoy :thumb I bought my wife a 40th Anniversary after I bought my GSA Rallye

I've had the pleasure of owning/riding quite a few different bikes, maybe not as many as others here such as RSIconic or perhaps yourself, and I know a good bike when I ride one. Definitely still got the hankering for various sportsbikes, scooters, and dare I say it even a Harley - as they all deliver brilliance in specific ways, but often not as a complete package as the GS does. And that is why I reach for the keys to the GS more often than I do my rabid Ducati or other bikes that have sat in the garage alongside the GS. The GS makes other bikes become expensive and nice garage ornaments.

I've had the pleasure of owning/riding quite a few different bikes, maybe not as many as others here such as RSIconic or perhaps yourself, and I know a good bike when I ride one. Definitely still got the hankering for various sportsbikes, scooters, and dare I say it even a Harley - as they all deliver brilliance in specific ways, but often not as a complete package as the GS does. And that is why I reach for the keys to the GS more often than I do my rabid Ducati or other bikes that have sat in the garage alongside the GS. The GS makes other bikes become expensive and nice garage ornaments.

It all depends on where your heads at at the time.

I had a 1200GSA Twin cam when I had my Harley Roadking Special, they were both fantastic fun in very different ways. I’d wake up in a Harley mood and the GSA would be a shitter to ride, likewise the other way around.

You need bikes that are seriously flawed and have character.

If I had an S1000XR, Panigale and a Jap cruiser in the garage, I’d always take the GSA.

Throw in a shit handling Harley, a 1970’s multi cylinder two stroke, and an old Brit bike…..well, then there’s be days to use them all.

Back
Top Bottom